IGNORED

Ben Brereton Diaz

23 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

I agree with most of your points here. I guess what I’m asking is who could we get to come here and be #2 this window who would provide more? Diaz isn’t clearly better as someone with far less experience. As mentioned, Maupay scored 25 at that level before they came up. I just don’t see how we would sell Everton to someone above Maupay’s level. Would have to be a younger player we take a bit of a gamble on who develops into better. 

Yeh very good point, its hard trying to sign back ups because when they are almost resigned to being number 2. 

That is part of the reason why I say you can see the logic behind it. It makes sense and hopefully it works out that way. 

I think the one piece we are missing is that promising striker in the ranks coming through and trying to make a name for themselves. It could be Simms/Dobbin in a seasons time so again would signing someone else now make sense? 

Overall it shows how important Richarlison was as he could cover two positions.

21 hours ago, Bailey said:

Yeh very good point, its hard trying to sign back ups because when they are almost resigned to being number 2. 

That is part of the reason why I say you can see the logic behind it. It makes sense and hopefully it works out that way. 

I think the one piece we are missing is that promising striker in the ranks coming through and trying to make a name for themselves. It could be Simms/Dobbin in a seasons time so again would signing someone else now make sense? 

Overall it shows how important Richarlison was as he could cover two positions.

Kean was an attempt at this but he came with the idea he’d walk into bring #1 it seemed and through a fit when he wasn’t. Another advantage of the biggest clubs is young talents are happy to come to sit on their benches.

2 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Kean was an attempt at this but he came with the idea he’d walk into bring #1 it seemed and through a fit when he wasn’t. Another advantage of the biggest clubs is young talents are happy to come to sit on their benches.

He did come from playing at Juventus so I don't think it was quite the same situation!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2023/01/06/everton-seriously-pushing-to-sign-blackburn-rovers-striker-ben-brereton-diaz/

I think we missed the opportunity with BBD in the summer. Given how high Blackburn are in the Championship, he is now Blackburn's best chance of getting Premiership football next season.  As a Blackburn fan you would do your nut if the club let him go when you are sitting third in the Championship at the half way point of the season. 

I would really like him here, but think we have missed the boat.

32 minutes ago, RPG said:

I know. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t but a statement along the lines of, ‘the board has no plans to change managers and has made funds available for the acquisition of new players in the Jan window’ would maybe help. 

You think the pusilanimous bunch of toadies who 'run' our club have the backbone for something like that? They haven't a clue what to do. 

The moment you tell the world you have a transfer kitty is the second teams put prices up.

Im pretty sure that if we talk to targets that cost money… they are smart enough to realise we have money to spend. I would also 100% expect the transfer team to be selling players a plan, not just that particular sale.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I really can't understand why we didn't go all out for him in the summer - over the likes of Maupay. 

A proven Premier League forward who has scored 8-10 goals in the last three seasons over an unproven one with nothing that obviously exciting about him. 

I also think he predominantly plays off the left for Blackburn so wouldnt be like-for-like either.

Also dont forget Maupay scored well in the Championship too. 

I think you could see the sense in signing Maupay if we were going to play to his strengths. But we don't. Im not sure we would play to BBD's strengths either and we would probably be saying "why didnt we go for Maupay instead".

3 hours ago, Bailey said:

A proven Premier League forward who has scored 8-10 goals in the last three seasons over an unproven one with nothing that obviously exciting about him. 

I also think he predominantly plays off the left for Blackburn so wouldnt be like-for-like either.

Also dont forget Maupay scored well in the Championship too. 

I think you could see the sense in signing Maupay if we were going to play to his strengths. But we don't. Im not sure we would play to BBD's strengths either and we would probably be saying "why didnt we go for Maupay instead".

BBD seems way more a Dom stand in than Maupay though.  Maupay for me only makes sense if the plan was to play him and Dom and that's so wildly optimistic I can't believe we ever planned that. 

11 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

BBD seems way more a Dom stand in than Maupay though.  Maupay for me only makes sense if the plan was to play him and Dom and that's so wildly optimistic I can't believe we ever planned that. 

Yeh to be fair my nan is more of a Dom stand in than Maupay. Such a bizarre decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...