IGNORED

New Shirt Sponsor

It is quite sad really - I have just read that 10 Premiership clubs main shirt sponsors are online betting companies. I suppose at this very moment in our history we are scrambling for every last penny and morals have taken a bag seat. Given so many clubs have online betting firms on the shirts sponsorship, the money they offer must be significantly more than what other companies are prepared to part with. 

Watching football on the TV - you get betting ads rammed at you left right and center. There is just no escaping it.

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

It is quite sad really - I have just read that 10 Premiership clubs main shirt sponsors are online betting companies. I suppose at this very moment in our history we are scrambling for every last penny and morals have taken a bag seat. Given so many clubs have online betting firms on the shirts sponsorship, the money they offer must be significantly more than what other companies are prepared to part with. 

Watching football on the TV - you get betting ads rammed at you left right and center. There is just no escaping it.

Do you know what makes it even more stupid? The league is currently looking into banning these companies from being sponsors.

Denise looks like an idiot and incompetent to boot with this. I wish the rumours of her leaving in April had been true.

• Romey 1878 changed the title to New Shirt Sponsor
14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Very disappointed. But if we've lost USM income, which was substantial, and we have FFP breathing down our necks, I think this is out of necessity than desire. 

I agree, I think losing the USM incomes is fairly significant. 

Not sure if people realised (I only just read it) but last season Everton where the only club in the Premier league who did not have a 'sleeve' sponsor deal!! All other 19 had one. I read it was because nobody would pay our valuation and the club didn't want to devalue the brand by giving anybody a cheaper deal or in other words the market rate. Seems stranger for club who is financially on its arse to be the only one not to broker a deal!!. 

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

Very disappointed. But if we've lost USM income, which was substantial, and we have FFP breathing down our necks, I think this is out of necessity than desire. 

I read yesterday somewhere that Usmanov is likely to have his embargo stuff lifted.

9 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I agree, I think losing the USM incomes is fairly significant. 

Not sure if people realised (I only just read it) but last season Everton where the only club in the Premier league who did not have a 'sleeve' sponsor deal!! All other 19 had one. I read it was because nobody would pay our valuation and the club didn't want to devalue the brand by giving anybody a cheaper deal or in other words the market rate. Seems stranger for club who is financially on its arse to be the only one not to broker a deal!!. 

I'm quite happy to have no sponsor next season instead of some shitty gambling firm with a wank logo.  I like it when Everton make a moral stand against the capitalist pig dogs, dear comrades.  Even when it means we miss out on a few judas coins that we'd have only spunked on a useless donut of a player.

Or we could club together and pay to have the phrase FUCK OFF ALL YOU CUNTS on the shirt.  On the front or the sleeve, I don't mind.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

The issues with the government concerns are mentioned, but nothing about it making the decision. Maybe just coincidence it came about at the same time, but I don’t remember to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Another negative of this is that kids shirts won't be able to have the sponsor on now, and kids care about things like that - a replica of what the players wear actually being a replica. Now it won't be. And when you're (their parents) paying a fortune for something you expect it to be the same.

Taking out the morals of it, it's just really short-sighted as well.

Also, we've actually gone and chased this deal to make a quick buck. We don't come out of this well at all but it is what it is.

Exactly I said the same thing with sport pesa, bought shirts for the grand kids and one said straight away it’s not the same as the players, they notice things like that and want to be the same as their heroes.  

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

A few years back, I read that, if you include secondary sponsors, only one Prem team had no betting sponsor. Follow the money: It's a huge conflict of interest, and I'm convinced corruption is rife. Now we've been sucked into it.

1 hour ago, badaids said:

I read yesterday somewhere that Usmanov is likely to have his embargo stuff lifted.

Doesn't really matter. That's a poisoned chalice now, innocent or not. The accusations will live with him and we can't be associated with him. 

As a yank i'm fascinated by the UK's moral high ground on gambling. And i mean that sincerely. Over here I can count on one hand (out of what some 300 million people) the number of people who would bat an eye at a gambling sponsorship.

As a club we have so few revenue generators I'm all for getting every single quid possible. And they should just put the sponsor on the kids shirt. Most kids won't recognize what it is and those that do it falls on them and their support system to learn/explain the risks associated with gambling. Most are being naive if they think having Stake.com on the front of a kit is going to make the difference between developing a gambling addiction or not. The correlation is close to non-existent.  It's interactions with friends/family and personal circumstances that play an enormous role.

8 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

As a yank i'm fascinated by the UK's moral high ground on gambling. And i mean that sincerely. Over here I can count on one hand (out of what some 300 million people) the number of people who would bat an eye at a gambling sponsorship.

As a club we have so few revenue generators I'm all for getting every single quid possible. And they should just put the sponsor on the kids shirt. Most kids won't recognize what it is and those that do it falls on them and their support system to learn/explain the risks associated with gambling. Most are being naive if they think having Stake.com on the front of a kit is going to make the difference between developing a gambling addiction or not. The correlation is close to non-existent.  It's interactions with friends/family and personal circumstances that play an enormous role.

sincerely the same.  

as a club we are a mess financially.  almost went down. as far as morals go, would assume the USM involvement is much worse than gambling.  understand people need something to gripe about but let's be picky once we put out the fires and not argue over the quality of the water we are using to do so.

There's thousands getting killed in the Ukraine and we are slagging our team off for being sponsored by a gambling company we are in a mess financially.

do people actually think if we weren't it would make a difference to people's gambling habits.

Moral highground? The UK is disgraceful when it comes to alcohol and betting. Even Google ads won't allow you to turn the gambling and booze ads off, just reduce them. Europe is lightyears ahead on how to handle both. I was genuinely shocked at how aggressive the alcohol, fastfood and gambling advertising is. It's disgraceful.

Not that arsed about it being a betting company to be honest, I wouldn't have bought a car off Cazoo, wouldn't go out of my way to buy a Chang in a bar and certainly won't be gambling because we have Stake on our shirt. 

What has annoyed me is that Watford's shirts (who had Stake last year) looked laughably garbage as the logo took up most of the chest, which makes me think that the new shirt regardless of design will look absolutely gash.

Agree with those above though about how we took the moral high ground with SportPesa, yet get into bed with a carbon copy a few years later - yet more incompetence from what is a board making themselves look more and more inept by the day. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we announced a new sleeve sponsor with the Russian Missile Corporation.

1 hour ago, patto said:

There's thousands getting killed in the Ukraine and we are slagging our team off for being sponsored by a gambling company we are in a mess financially.

do people actually think if we weren't it would make a difference to people's gambling habits.

What on earth has Ukraine war got to do with people being disappointed that club have a online gambling and cryptocurrency broker?

Gambling is not a healthy habit, like junk food, alcohol or even vaping or smoking - they can be dangerous.  Now as a club we are actively promoting it, simply because it brings in an extra £4-5M. Like many have pointed out - the kids who support the club just can't have the same kits this year as their players.  

Government currently looking in to banning this type of sponsorship and rightly so - It's not illegal -yet, because essentially it not really right otherwise these conversations would not be happening.

I definitely made it worse making a point of no longer being sponsor by SportPesa. 

I know the vast majority of us will not go straight to Stake.com and start betting - but some might have a mooch on to the sites and have a dabble and the club is normalising gambling and particularly online gambling as essentially a healthy past time.

The advertising must work otherwise they would not be paying Everton a handsome £10M a year to be on the front of our shirt. Their money is purely made back through encouraging peoples gambling habits. 

Its not great this controversial news being announced less than 24hrs after Moshiri's statement about mistakes being made etc - todays news just make me think blah, blah, blah as many still don't really get this club and its supporters.

I realise its a lot easier to be moral when you can afford to, and we are very much on our arses big time at the moment - so maybe a few have just put their heads down and looked a bit sheepish while the cheque was being signed. I get it. lets hope this extra £5m or so make a difference next season for us and does allow us as a club to be a little more moral in better times.  

37 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

What has annoyed me is that Watford's shirts (who had Stake last year) looked laughably garbage as the logo took up most of the chest, which makes me think that the new shirt regardless of design will look absolutely gash.

The size of the sponsor logo is limited by premier league rules anyway.