IGNORED

Amadou Onana

7 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I believe I read we were allowed a pretty small fee this first year. All about pushing these commitments as much as we can until funds free up.

From what I’ve seen it’s instalments over the 5 years. I would assume he isn’t on massive wages as well so it’s good business - especially when you look at what Villa are ( supposedly ) paying for Kamara per week.

Just now, Btay said:

From what I’ve seen it’s instalments over the 5 years. I would assume he isn’t on massive wages as well so it’s good business - especially when you look at what Villa are ( supposedly ) paying for Kamara per week.

I don’t believe it matters when we pay, though I could be wrong. I think the fee is amortized over the duration of the contract agreed. I suppose if the side of the outgoing player agrees take less than the would-be amortized amount, perhaps it could be an even smaller hit on the books?

7 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

I don’t believe it matters when we pay, though I could be wrong. I think the fee is amortized over the duration of the contract agreed. I suppose if the side of the outgoing player agrees take less than the would-be amortized amount, perhaps it could be an even smaller hit on the books?

£30m over five years, £6m per year. 

37 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

He comes off as incredibly mature at 20. Can see why he captained Belgium’s U-21. High hopes.

The way he talks and carries himself I think he's a midfield version of Lukaku; big, strong, fast and provided he's allowed to play to his strengths he'll be unplayable. That's my gut feeling at least. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

The way he talks and carries himself I think he's a midfield version of Lukaku; big, strong, fast and provided he's allowed to play to his strengths he'll be unplayable. That's my gut feeling at least. 

Yeah but with a better mentality. He seems to “get it”. Notable that he mentioned work 2-3 times. It’ll take a little time but I think we’ve got one.

5 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

One thing I hope our supporters realize is that he’s likely to need time. New country, new team, still 20. He’s gonna be a bit raw most likely. We are paying for him at 22-23 and beyond. Let’s give him the room to make a few mistakes and not lose the fans. Look what it’s done for Iwobi, by his own reckoning.

Lukaku was a teenager when he went to Chelsea. Not worried about this lad at all.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

I'm hopeful, and from what I've seen in clips he looks to have some good strengths to his game, but I'm not expecting much from a 20 year old who has 11 starts in the French league coming into a premier League midfield.

We won’t know until we know. Given the price we paid and his quick rise I expect more than I would if he cost 2m but you’re right that he needs to be given time 

This may be a bit too soon, but is this lad giving anyone else Patrick Vierra vibes?

Hearing him speak and looking at videos of him, Vierra keeps popping into my head. I know that’s a bit premature for a lad his age…. But if he can turn out to be 75% of a Vierra…. Then we have something special at the club.

On 09/08/2022 at 13:54, Btay said:

He looks a proper number 8 as well. I think he could very well be an “Everton” type of player.

He has only just walked through the door, don't curse the lad with that tag!

In years gone by that means he will be a cripple, won't be good enough to get a locker or have spray on hair!

I’ve never seen him play before so I will with hold my judgment on his game and not be swayed by the price tag, let’s give him the opportunity to settle in with 5-10 games and we can then see a truer picture of his ability and critique him properly based on what we’ve seen and not what we’ve heard.  From what people have been saying you would think you were in the beginning of the Gbamin thread, pretty much exactly the same been said now about Onana as Gbamin before he had kicked a ball, and we all know how well that sighing turned out. Palfy being a miserable fucker again not at all just being honest. 

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’ve never seen him play before so I will with hold my judgment on his game and not be swayed by the price tag, let’s give him the opportunity to settle in with 5-10 games and we can then see a truer picture of his ability and critique him properly based on what we’ve seen and not what we’ve heard.  From what people have been saying you would think you were in the beginning of the Gbamin thread, pretty much exactly the same been said now about Onana as Gbamin before he had kicked a ball, and we all know how well that sighing turned out. Palfy being a miserable fucker again not at all just being honest. 

To be fair you could be both miserable and honest. 😀

I don’t think we should put a number of games on what we have. Still just 20. Could hit the ground running or could take several years to really show what he has. We need to remember Iwobi and be patient as supporters.

3 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

To be fair you could be both miserable and honest. 😀

I don’t think we should put a number of games on what we have. Still just 20. Could hit the ground running or could take several years to really show what he has. We need to remember Iwobi and be patient as supporters.

I’ll take and go along with that, and just hope it’s not several years and no more than several months, with Iwobi he always showed us he had it but couldn’t consistently do it, but under Lampard he is finding the consistency which comes from being more confident in his position and manager.