IGNORED

Amadou Onana

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I’ll take and go along with that, and just hope it’s not several years and no more than several months, with Iwobi he always showed us he had it but couldn’t consistently do it, but under Lampard he is finding the consistency which comes from being more confident in his position and manager. 

I mentioned it a little while ago on here but what did it for me was the game after his big mistake. Fans stayed with him and he responded well. Seems like he’s matured to the point where his confidence isn’t going to nosedive at the first sign of trouble.

Some very interesting points in this article from The Athletic (as usual with these guys it's a long one!)

1. Lukaku and Martinez both told him to sign

2. Lamps and KT being on same page about what type of mid was needed

3. we did not maintain our Sr. scouting network in Italy and Portugal but we have a priority in France.

4. BK involved in transfers again (sigh!)

5. he seems like a very grounded lad; speaks 5 languages and composes music!

He is the player Everton hope can be the future of their midfield. Someone described by his national team coach Roberto Martinez as one of the best talents in his position in Europe. 

At 20, Amadou Onana arrives on Merseyside with a hefty price tag for someone his age — a guaranteed £30million ($36.8m) that should rise further once bonuses are included — and the reputation to match. 

Everton, though, feel he will be worth it, and the groundwork they have done over the last couple of months — which helped them beat off competition from West Ham United and others for his signature — will be rewarded on the pitch.

Long before the end of last season, manager Frank Lampard highlighted midfield as a priority area to strengthen. He quickly found he was on the same page as director of football Kevin Thelwell, with conversations between the pair highlighting the need for more power and ball-winning ability. 

Lampard and Thelwell had a specific profile in mind, and tasked their recruitment network with finding an ideal fit. 

Comfort on the ball and an ability to help build from the back was essential, but so too were physicality and running power

The ideal Lampard midfielder can drop into the back line and offer a presence there when necessary. 

But those individuals are few and far between — particularly affordable ones for Everton competing at a high level. Where Lampard saw Declan Rice of West Ham as the ideal fit for the role while he was Chelsea manager, this time he would have to box smart. 

Onana was flagged by Everton’s recruitment network last season as a player of particular interest. Despite making just 11 starts for Lille in his first and only campaign in Ligue 1, the towering midfielder had quickly earned the approval of key decision-makers in Everton’s recruitment hierarchy. France is still an area of interest for Everton, and it is telling they retained senior scouts there at a time when they decided not to extend others in Italy and Portugal

Initial contact was made with the player’s representatives long before the end of last season to enquire about his situation but there were obvious issues and hurdles to overcome. 

The first was Onana, at 20, had not envisaged leaving Lille after one season. His plan initially had been to remain there and build up his experience for at least a further year. 

The other was up to five other clubs, including West Ham, were also exploring a potential transfer. 

By this stage, Onana was open to a move to the Premier League. The amount of interest in him confirmed he was ready for the next step.  

In a straight tussle with West Ham, Everton had several trump cards. 

The Belgium international had several conversations with Lampard and Thelwell over his potential role in the setup and how he would be used. The plan placed in front of him was considered impressive, and from the first call Everton were seen as a good option. 

“They showed me that they really want me and have a plan for me,” Onana said after signing.

Figures close to the deal describe Lampard as a decisive factor. The Everton manager made it clear in talks with the player that he wanted him at Goodison, and Onana felt like he could learn under the tutelage of one of the Premier League’s greatest midfielders. 

On the player side, due diligence was carried out with key figures in Belgium with ties to Everton. Fellow international Romelu Lukaku spoke to Onana in positive terms about playing at Goodison, Everton’s fans and the club in general. The message was: “If you have an opportunity to go there now — take it.” National team coach Martinez provided further background, and reinforced the importance of game time in a World Cup year. 

It was seen as a promising sign that Idrissa Gueye was contemplating a return to Everton. Both players hail from Senegal, speak French and Wolof — the most widely spoken language of Senegal — and there are high hopes they will be able to strike up a good midfield partnership should Gueye’s move to Everton be confirmed.

Negotiations with Lille were led by chairman Bill Kenwright, who is once again taking an active role on deals. Initial questions over Everton’s ability to finance a deal were answered when they agreed to pay the full sum with a small initial down-payment. This has been a feature of their dealings this summer, with the deal to sign Dwight McNeil structured similarly.

In Onana, Everton feel they are getting an all-round midfielder who can contribute in a number of different roles. 

For now, he is most likely to be used as a No 8, making use of his loping stride and technical ability to go between both boxes. But there is a feeling he can in time be an option in front of the defence too. 

Onana is 6ft 5in (195cm) and his physicality appeals, as does his ability on the ball — particularly when it comes to breaking the lines. Crucially, he is an adept ball-winner who should be able to play with the intensity Lampard demands from his midfielders. 

Everton are getting a rounded individual with experience playing — and living — in Germany, France and Belgium. Onana speaks five languages, and in his spare time plays the piano and composes music. 

The focus from Lampard and Thelwell this summer has been on making the team more robust — in other words, less injury prone — and adding leadership.   

Speaking to Sky Sports, Martinez described him as a “coach on the pitch” with “incredible maturity”. 

Onana has captained Belgium’s under-21 side. In June, he made his international debut against the Netherlands. 

“Amadou is a leader that, as a young man, is affecting others in the dressing room,” Martinez added.

As far as Everton are concerned, Onana ticks about every box. He will need time and patience to show his true potential, but is ready to contribute this season.

There is excitement about what he will bring to the club on the pitch during the duration of his five-year contract. This is a player with a heady reputation, who many in the game tip to reach the top and his arrival is seen as a coup.

On 09/08/2022 at 09:43, SpartyBlue said:

One thing I hope our supporters realize is that he’s likely to need time. New country, new team, still 20. He’s gonna be a bit raw most likely. We are paying for him at 22-23 and beyond. Let’s give him the room to make a few mistakes and not lose the fans. Look what it’s done for Iwobi, by his own reckoning.

I know it's not unheard of across the pond, but when a 20 year old kid walks in speaking 5 languages fluently, that indicates to me that adaptability is likely something he already has a pretty good grasp on. Speed and physicality of the EPL will take an adjustment, but big picture, I'm thinking he settles in pretty quickly. He carries himself in interviews (non-native language for good measure) liked a seasoned veteran - far beyond his actual age.

Just now, Ghoat said:

I know it's not unheard of across the pond, but when a 20 year old kid walks in speaking 5 languages fluently, that indicates to me that adaptability is likely something he already has a pretty good grasp on. Speed and physicality of the EPL will take an adjustment, but big picture, I'm thinking he settles in pretty quickly. He carries himself in interviews (non-native language for good measure) liked a seasoned veteran - far beyond his actual age.

Agreed. Every comment I’ve seen on him references his maturity and it’s obvious in interviews. I’m hopeful he can learn quickly but this is the best league in the world. We are a notoriously fickle and impatient fanbase so I hope that if he starts slowly we keep in mind his age and that we are buying him for the player he will be at 23,24 etc..

32 minutes ago, StevO said:

Introduced himself to everyone he walked past, and told them his first name. Didn’t just assume they know who he is. Humble kid. Seems very likeable. Even introducing himself to the young players in the gym, who all seemed very confused. 😂

😂 they did look confused, but I can’t help thinking he might have thought they were first team players which confused them and him😂

I remember when Besic played his first game for us when brought him on as a sub and he tried the back heal that didn’t come off and we conceded from it that took him months to get over. Onana never let the mistake phase him he worked hard and made up for it straight away and was so close to getting us the equaliser. I don’t want to get carried away and heap loads of praise on his first start, but I’m quietly confident we could have a very good player in the camp. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

A bright spot despite the mistake.

He needs to start against Forest because we need someone out there who wants to dominate and control a game.

With Doucoure going off, I have a feeling he just might.

So impressed he just dusted himself down after the goal, and minutes later was creating one.

I think we are just going to have to accept the inevitable 'growing pains' of getting this young lad on the pitch. The mistake came out of attempting to be be positive, they are the kind of mistakes I can accept.  

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

With Doucoure going off, I have a feeling he just might.

So impressed he just dusted himself down after the goal, and minutes later was creating one.

I think we are just going to have to accept the inevitable 'growing pains' of getting this young lad on the pitch. The mistake came out of attempting to be be positive, they are the kind of mistakes I can accept.  

I think he should have come on for Doucoure instead of Davies myself.

Davies actually didn't do badly when he came on but he's just not a player who's going to make a difference and that's what we needed with us being behind in the game.

I agree. He also got a silly yellow early on, which meant he couldnt take out Buendia before their second goal. Having said that, he perhaps should have also stayed with him as he run in to score.

Although I don't think he played particularly badly, I don't think he's got the physicality to make his presence felt in midfield.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I think he should have come on for Doucoure instead of Davies myself.

Davies actually didn't do badly when he came on but he's just not a player who's going to make a difference and that's what we needed with us being behind in the game.

I agree he would have been a better sub than Tom at that point but get the feeling that Frank knows his fitness, didn't want him to start but wanted him to get a taste of the intensity of the Premiership game.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

I remember when Besic played his first game for us when brought him on as a sub and he tried the back heal that didn’t come off and we conceded from it that took him months to get over. Onana never let the mistake phase him he worked hard and made up for it straight away and was so close to getting us the equaliser. I don’t want to get carried away and heap loads of praise on his first start, but I’m quietly confident we could have a very good player in the camp. 

Oh fuck me, don’t bring Besic into it. I’m excited by this lad, don’t ruin it with Besic please! No idea of Besic ever got over that, he was shite at that moment and never got any better than shite. 🤮

18 hours ago, London Blue said:

Davies did prevent two goals.

Davies did okay. He may not have made many attacking contributions but he did well in defending.

Most of our players go to bits when they make a mistake, so it was good to see Onana let it bounce off him and keep his head up.