IGNORED

Summer 2023 Transfer Window (The Great Everton Depression)

It's only February and there's obviously so much left to play for, but just the way my mind works I can't help but look ahead. Here's our squad depth at season's end:

GK: Pickford JVirginia
Fullbacks: Patterson Mykolenko Nkounkou
CBs: Tarkowski Holgate Keane Godfrey Branthwaite
CMs: Onana Doucoure Iwobi Gueye Garner Dele Gomes Gbamin
Wingers: McNeil Gray
ST: DCL Maupay Simms

Out of contract: Begovic Lonergan Mina Coleman Coady Vinagre Davies Townsend

other than CB's we are going to be very short everywhere - as I can't really see Gbmin, Gomes or Alli making spectacular returns, although all three will be sapping us of a decent wage for another 12 months.

Gomes doing pretty well in France and when fit Gbamin seems to be a regular starter in Turkey, even Alli appears to be now getting some game time. Can see any sort of fee for any of them. I feel loans with clubs covering wages might be the best we can hope for. Roll on them being off the accounts.

I actually don't mind us  having a cut back squad come June, until we know if we are in the Championship or not. 

• 3 months later...

Know we've got the other two threads with transfers/targets but hoping we can relocate those convos here. I firmly believe if we sign a very good CB and ST this team can compete in the top half of the table. 

GK: Pickford JVirginia
Fullbacks: Patterson Mykolenko Nkounkou
CBs: Tarkowski Holgate Keane Godfrey Branthwaite
CMs: Onana Doucoure Iwobi Gueye Garner Dele Gomes Gbamin
Wingers: McNeil Gray
ST: DCL Maupay Simms

Out of contract: Begovic Lonergan Mina Coleman Coady Vinagre Davies Townsend
Returning from loan: JVirginia Branthwaite Nkounkou Gbamin Dele AGomes

Sell: Holgate, Keane, Dele, Gomes, Gbamin, Maupay
Sign: focus almost all of our efforts on CB and ST. Depth - Coleman, LB to compete with Myko, young CDM to spell Gana, another striker so we never have to see Maupay again and a backup GK (JVirginia won't want to be on the bench all year). 

Names to watch: 
ST: Nketiah, Broja, Okafor, Sesko, Weghorst
W: Hudson-Odoi, Cowell, Kent, Aaronson, Barnes, Talles Magno, Adama
MID: Adams, Romeo Lavia, Musah
DEF: Guehi, Tapsoba, Hincapie, L Kelly, Bertrand, Castagne, KWP, Cresswell

Weghorst isn't sexy but he'd do a job in Dyche's system and rarely gets hurt - if FFP is an issue. I think we should go in for Broja.
Kent on a free would be good business, or Adama as wasteful as he can be I think he'd help us. Aaronson and Barnes if the price is right after relegation. Also watch out for Cowell and T Magno here in MLS. Cowell has extremely raw talent and if Dyche could school T Magno he could be a world class LB - think Alphonso Davies. 
I'd sacrifice one of my nuts for Tyler Adams. Dude can play and is the perfect #6 for us. Romeo Lavia might have better suitors. 
Guehi would be my ideal CB but again he might be chased by bigger clubs at this point. Tapsoba and Hincapie have a great partnership at Leverkusen. Was impressed with Lloyd Kelly every time I saw him this season. Bertrand/KWP as cheap versatile depth fullbacks. Castagne if the price is right would be a great LB. Cresswell on a free if FFP is an issue. 

Depth at the end of the window:
GK: Pickford, Backup GK, some old guy
Fullbacks: Patterson, Coleman, Mykolenko, LB on loan/free
CBs: New signing, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Godfrey
CMs: Onana, Doucoure, Gueye, Garner, Davies
Wingers: Iwobi, McNeil, Gray
ST:  New signing, DCL, Simms/Cannon

Broja, Guehi, Adams, one of (Kent, Adama, Aaronson, Barnes), 3 depth signings, selling Holgate Keane and Maupay and I'd be over the moon. 

2 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Broja, Guehi, Adams, one of (Kent, Adama, Aaronson, Barnes), 3 depth signings, selling Holgate Keane and Maupay and I'd be over the moon. 

Can't really see us getting 7 signings but we had one more than that last summer if you count loans.  So who knows.

Broja would be a big gamble coming off that rather long nasty knee injury.  Wonder if the lad from Coventry or someone outside of England might be a better use of funds?  Saw some mentions about this in January but I wonder if a swap deal involving Maupay for Boulaye Dia from Salernitana might be shrewd.  16 goals and 6 assists in Serie A this season.  Would know Gana from the national team.

Doubt Guehi will leave Palace for us but stranger things have happened.  Would cost a lot to make it happen which is why I do not see it happening.

Also we really need reinforcement at full back before looking at the midfield.  Not sure we want to gamble with Patto and Myko as starters next season.  

Thelwell and Dyche have their work cut out them... that is sure.

34 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Sulemana will be worth a cut price bid, throw maupay in.  Pace to burn. 

I mentioned Tyler Adams elsewhere. 

My only worry with Adams is his injury record. He'll play in a lot of matches, but he'll also likely miss time. He throws himself about a lot, so that probably doesn't help. 

I think Guehi would be the wrong type of defender for this side. He is a good footballer but he is small and weak for a CB and that isnt the way Dyche plays. 

I also think he would cost a lot. 

I'd prefer Kilman myself. Much less sexier but ticks all the boxes albeit probably also not particularly achievable.

23 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Depth at the end of the window:
GK: Pickford, Backup GK, some old guy
Fullbacks: Patterson, Coleman, Mykolenko, LB on loan/free
CBs: New signing, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Godfrey
CMs: Onana, Doucoure, Gueye, Garner, Davies
Wingers: Iwobi, McNeil, Gray
ST:  New signing, DCL, Simms/Cannon

Davies needs to leave.

9 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I’m a bit surprised we didn’t trigger the purchase option, £4.5m was a good price, does this mean there’s changes afoot and we don’t  need to look so much a bargain basement options………….

It doesn’t change what we can and cannot spend. 

My thoughts on Coady are - well I wouldn’t want Holgate, Keane AND Coady. Sell Holgate and Keane and then sign Coady would be shrewd(ish) business to me but having all 3 would be a bit silly!!!

Even better - sell Holgate and Keane and Coady can go to Sheff.Utd while we sign a pacy centre-back better than what we have currently.

56 minutes ago, c1982 said:

My thoughts on Coady are - well I wouldn’t want Holgate, Keane AND Coady. Sell Holgate and Keane and then sign Coady would be shrewd(ish) business to me but having all 3 would be a bit silly!!!

Even better - sell Holgate and Keane and Coady can go to Sheff.Utd while we sign a pacy centre-back better than what we have currently.

I knew I liked you. 

Shame to see Andros depart after such a long spell out and not quite making it back.

I wouldn't have kept him on and he probably wouldn't have got a huge amount of game time but he did do a good job when he first came in under Benitez with him and Gray both looking ilke shrewd signings.  That goal against Burnley was an absaloute screamer.  Seemed a nice guy as well.  Hopefully someone comes in for him and he can get a decent spell somewhere.

52 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

Shame to see Andros depart after such a long spell out and not quite making it back.

I wouldn't have kept him on and he probably wouldn't have got a huge amount of game time but he did do a good job when he first came in under Benitez with him and Gray both looking ilke shrewd signings.  That goal against Burnley was an absaloute screamer.  Seemed a nice guy as well.  Hopefully someone comes in for him and he can get a decent spell somewhere.

He's been sitting on a significant wage hasn't he? Scored a couple of crackers but it hasn't worked out. Good luck to him.