IGNORED

The Ashes

Don't have Sky but I'll watch the highlights if we do OK. Don't think we have a lot of chance but then no-one thought we had any chance last summer either.

I'll stay up and watch some of it,bit of a nightowl in that respect.

I really cant see that we'll win the series tbh,its asking far too much of Flintoff to bat,bowl and captian the side all at once.

I have other major doubts too,why the hell are we playing a keeper in Jones that doesnt score runs,drops catches and is generally a very poor keeper? well i would assume he's a Fletcher favourate frankly thats a piss poor way to pick a team.

Giles..i have a sneaky feeling he'll play over Monty tbh for the very same reason,for the first time in years we have a spin bowler he can win matches with Panasear and frankly i can see him being over looked becuase he cant bat,again thats a massivly flawed policy.

Trescothick..why the hell was he picked in the first place..oh yes another Fletch favourate.

I the last few years just 4 tests have been drawn thats right 4,south africa managed to do it,india scored 700 and odd to do it basicly what i'm saying we have to go at them and try and win,and given the makeup of the team i really cant see it coming off.

Australia are an ageing side who on thier day can produce magic,i feel thier dominace of the cricket scene is nearing the end as there doesnt seem to be the same quilbre of player coming though to replace whats there now,but as i say that can even given the age of the side can produce match winning performaces

I'll probably stay up till abt 3 in the morning to watch that much but I wont go any later than that I dont think. I cant see us having much chance of winning, at most we'll draw one of the Tests.

Jones is picked because Read has been shite in the run scoring department since hes been brought in, totally woeful. And when hes at his best Jones can take some tremendous catches, and personally Id pick him over Read any day.

As to Monty, he's a terrific bowler and I'd love him to play ahead of Giles but the truth is we have a very long tail and Australia have batsmen right down the order so Giles could get the nod because hes very good at defensive bowling and he can hit 50 runs on his day.

I'll probably stay up till abt 3 in the morning to watch that much but I wont go any later than that I dont think. I cant see us having much chance of winning, at most we'll draw one of the Tests.

Jones is picked because Read has been shite in the run scoring department since hes been brought in, totally woeful. And when hes at his best Jones can take some tremendous catches, and personally Id pick him over Read any day.

As to Monty, he's a terrific bowler and I'd love him to play ahead of Giles but the truth is we have a very long tail and Australia have batsmen right down the order so Giles could get the nod because hes very good at defensive bowling and he can hit 50 runs on his day.

Given that Read had 2 tests in the summer and still out scored Jones seems to belie your view there mate,Jones is a Flecth bumboy simple as that,and the old chest nut about Giles is plain silly,yes its a long tail but for the love of god the man hasnt bowled for a year for fuck sake he shouldnt even be an option,it smacks of the desperate old days of the "old boys club",if they feel weak play 6 batsmen and have collingwood as a back up bowler.

As i said if we play for the draw we'll be beaten,we have to go in with our wicket takers in place and as much as i admire Giles he's not in the same class as Monty,but anyway an interesting read on the 2 keeper situation i found Clicky

Pretty mcuh sums up my feelings exactly

Speaking of "old boys club" can I just say that even though Ashley Giles (think I've posted this before) went to the same school as me there's no point at all in playing a slow bowler who can't spin the ball worth a fuck. Has to be Monty for me, no question.

Edited by mikeo

We only need to draw the series to retain the ashes, so i would pack the team with Batsmen and hope the aussies can't bowl us out, If we dont get bowled out we dont lose.

Get the usual batsmen down to 5 then Flintoff 6 and Colingwood 7 who can both do a bit with Bat and Ball, hope the keeper 8 can get runs, just fill in with Monty 9 and a couple of fasties. 10 & 11. easy isnt it. :D

If we go over there with a weak batting line up, shane warne will cut us to ribbons, and there is no way we are good enough to take them on in their own country, on their own pitches.

Edited by Licker

Giles playing, not Monty...predictable...

Shocker isnt it? :angry:

Honestly didnt see that one coming at all :angry:

And another thing why the hell is Vaughen over there??..i know he's the captian but surely,surely just having him there must be off putting for Freddie,i know if i where in his position i wouldnt want him hanging round.

Dont get me wrong i wish he where playing but surely having an injured captian must be distracting.