IGNORED

Ive Lit A Candle.....

Guest fozzie22

Aye as much talent as he had,its got to be said he was a wastrel who floundered his god given talent away.

Even when given the chance to prolong his life he fucked it up,and its a sad truth that even in this day and age people are in desperate need for transplants of all kinds and the publicity he got for having his wont have done that cause much good.

Of course my sympathys goes out to his family but now is not the time to look through rose tintened glasses.

MY opinion............. some people smoke themselves into an early grave , others prefer to take drugs and such, some just throw themselves under trains or off high bridges, but because GEORGE BEST prefers to drink, it doesnt mean we shouldnt show a bit of respect in his last hours.

My thoughts go out to his family and close friends at this time, and i shall always remember George Best, as the greatest home grown player i had the pleasure of seeing on a football field.

besty.jpg

Edited by toffeelicker

Guest fozzie22

I have strong views on this,and if it offends anyone then i'm sorry,but best himself put himself in this terribly sad positon.

Kids starving to death in africa deserve my respect because those poor bugger wont get any chance to even reach adulthood,let alone give the chance to see the world and do for a job something he was brilliant at.

Maybe i have different prioritys,i dont know but it remains a fact that he was given a second chance with the doner liver,a chance he chose to squander,nobody on the NHS would have been given that chance with a track record like his was.

As i say i'm sorry if i offend anyone,but i cant and frankly wont change my views on this,it would be hypocritical of me,and yes i'll say it again my heart goes out to his family at this sad time but its something that sadly he brought on himself.

Tough one. Coming from a slightly different perspective as in I was (still am, I'm supposed to say) an alcoholic but not had a drink since 1994 I would have to point out that he didn't choose to be the way he was. Alcoholism is a massively frightening illness(?), weakness(?) and no one would ever choose it. Only two or three out of ten people who get treatment recover long term (defined as two years), most don't, a lot die a slow and horrible death like George. Since I stopped I've worked on and off as an addiction counsellor and seen more people die than I care to think of. Although the transplant issue clouds things a bit for some people in Georges case it's still enormously sad, but a hugely common occurrance. He was a special footballer, but is/was unfortunately a very ordinary man and alcoholic.

Edited by mikeo

God rest his soul - a truly great player and from what I have seen and read in his books a very nice, intelligent man. Leave it at that.

For anyone who wants to come on and join the high and mighty squad, then I say "he without sin cast the first stone"

George Best did not ask for sympathy, he didn't ask to be an alcoholic, he didn't ask that his mother die of this genetic disorder. He died of an illness that you would associate all the things that people tried to smear his name with. He was beyond curing and was a dead man a long time ago unfortunately. We are just so fortunate we had this footballing icon to appreciate.

If anyone wants to use his death as an opportunity to criticise then maybe they can start off by telling smokers/obese people to stop smoking and stop eating as they are affecting other lives. How many of these do gooders carry donor cards I wonder?

A great person died today, and like everyone, he wasn't without faults, however above all he was honest and he didn't try to be something he is not.

Please show respect.

What ever best did through his life he should be remembered for the football all time legend and one of the greatest ever!! It's a sad day for football it has lost a great character and simple the best British player who ever lived this is how i will remember him.

He did more in his 60 years than more than 10 people do in there whole life we might not agree with some of the things that he did but remember the football that is what the man was really all about!

Edited by toffeplus

RIP George Best

I have the greatest respect for him as a player - undoubtedly there is no better player ever to come from teh british isles.

Unfortunatley i have lost respect for him now.

My grandfather was on the Liver donor register for 7 years before passing away due to major organ failure. My best friends dad the same - and yes they were both alcohol related and both patients told that they probably wouldnt get a liver due to the problem being self inflicted - yet best got his liver and then....as soon as he could walk - got pissed.

No respect for taking the piss out of the people who gave hima 2nd chance. No respect in return.

I will never wish death upon anyone and I am sure his family are truely hurt. I pray for them for sure - but for Best - his time was well overdue and i am glad that it is over for his family - lets hope his son does not follow in his footsteps.

Wasnt me & look I recant my comments. Owenstop.

Dont take anything back...but as I said initialy..I dont give a F*** what anyone else thinks. I should have known better than biting. Tampax moment.

I aplaud those whom have shown a bit of Class...& if we wanna have the ethical, moral debate..well thats fine...Theirs jus ta time & place isnt their.

Sorry for my civilty.

beyond that issue now, you call me a prick, i call you a prick, sounds like a draw to me.

my problem is that my and only my post has been removed, so i have to ask

why has my post been removed

why is it only my post that has been removed

what was the point in removing ONLY my post, and not banning my account/ip address

and PatV, you are entitled to your opinion, like i am entitled to mine, or that should be the case, your post hasnt been removed, goebbles, goerring or the big man has made sure i have been choked.

like i said last post, ZIEG HEIL.

and lets consider your civility, perhaps it might mean a little more if you were as upset for the numerous persons that suffer because adequate donors cannot be found, yet you crow on about some degenerate alcoholic that imposed all his problems on himself, TWICE.

his attitude was sickening, how ironic that yours follow suit.

Simple sollution would be to make a George Best was filthy stealing twat thread & go ahead with your particular opinion ( of which I also would & could contibute with interset further alternate opinion)..Just not this thread)A thread that many members would no doubt agree with you & contribute.

Not tarnish a thread that was intialy a condolonce thread 4 those whom wanted & ALSO have every right to partcipate in.

Thats what is meant by civility. Simple really eh?

As for the post deletion thing mate outa my hands..& im sure you would agree that like George getting a liver..Lifes not fuking fair is it lad...... :)

Right, first things first; RIP George. What a fucking class act.

Admittedly, he was a "selfish" prick in the sense that after destroying his own liver, he then poisened some young fillipino virgin's liver he got as a replacement. Now, that's bad in the sense that some innocent kid could have had it instead. But as PatV put it,

Lifes not fuking fair is it lad......

And that's the reality. I'm sure this wasn't intended to be some highly hypocritical debate as regards the moral implications of liver transplants and private medical care, but this is what it obviously has degenerated into.

So, PatV, well done for recognising the sad demise of one of the greatest ever British footballers. Who gives a fuck how he lived his life? He whooped it up big time, shagged miss worlds, spent loads of money. Who wouldn't?

Oh, and by the way, don't think this marks the phoenix like return of newtjedi. I'm still shunning you lot for your Stalin-esque denouncement of toffeeweb who have the GALL to suggest that David Moyes is, well, not a living god.

As with Gandalf the Grey's relationship with the Kingdom of Rohan, I will only return in the darkest of times.

I have massive respect for this man, undoubtedly one of the greatest talents the footballing world has seen. and up until the last few years he enjoyed his life like no other!

Im disgusted at the shambles at City of Manchester Stadium today, both sets of fans booing in the minutes silence, the ref called it quits after 20 seconds.

ill be making no noise tommorow.

RIP

ok then, lets consider...

footballing genius, blighted by torment and turmoil, dies from substance abuse, im not talking about george best, lets say diego maradona died suddenly, surely the statistics say he was every much the player best was, or more so (world cups).

would it be a sad day when lovable diego kicks the bucket? lets remember the shame he has brought to the game ... playing coked out of hi mind wc94, and the frequent troubles with cocaine thereafter. he is a bum, a cheat and a liar, and i for one wont miss the little shit of an argie when he pops off.

Edited by toffeelicker