IGNORED

What Position Do/did You Play?

Droobie

Comments on a recent thread inspired me to ask this. Probably we've played this game we love at a competitive level at some point in our lives. Whether it be when we were younger, or perhaps we still do. My question is, what position on the field did or do you play?

I played mainly at high school, then a bit socially afterwards at uni and for my church team, before my knee gave out. I found myself mostly on the right wing or right mid. More of a down the wing and crosser of the ball. Took the teams corners and penalties as well.

Central anyhwere - Started life as quite a Powerfull Centre forward - peaked in central Midfield - Then the wise head & slow legs would play just behind a younger back 3.

Typical amateur career Ping when younger make do with what still works when get older, retired with plently of aches & breaks.

I was once & am still the only preson Ive known to be sent of for sitting on the ball...!!! ( literrally sat on it)

Got 8 goals in a game as a kid once & my massive claim to fame was a Hatrick V's Twice USA World Cup finals goalkeeper Tony Meola for a regional youth side whom played a touring US services side in the 80's.

Meola was on the USS Berkeley & I still have his cap he gave me for the hatrick..

Though my gretest footy memory was being deemed good enough to play Sunday league @ 15 yrs of age & in the same team as my DAD. Not many get to do that with their arl fella's.

Right wing mostly...occasionally left...too skinny to get involved in the middle :lol: . Took corners and (in a variation on Pat's theme) had the honour of being sent off by my dad, who was a qualified ref :P . Only played 'til early teens, fourteen-ish because I realised I was never going to be good enough to play for Everton (and I was more talented in other sports).

started as a right back, ended up as a right mid. was never really fast enough or skillful enough to be called a winger, but i could cross a ball well enough. took a good corner, and i was so pissed i was never on penalty duty, that was down to the managers son. but i always won the mess about peny comps. the first thing i remember my dad teaching me was hard and low and as far into the corner as possible. i used to think i was great at free kicks too, but i wasnt really (somethin to do with scoring one in a "B" team game, they let me be captain for the "B" team when i wasnt playing for the 1st) only play 5 a side now, so dont really play in a position, i am fond of waiting on the left and shooting on sight

Footy scar's & definable moments could be a good thread topic - I no this thread has envoked many in me.

And mike being sent off by ya arl fella, is wee, yep thats a ball tearer. :lol:

I new it was time to retire the season i got 11 or so yellas & 3 red's that had me total a staggering 7 apps 4 the season.

Similar to PAT in lots of ways, started up front, dropped back to Mid, and finished in the back 4.

i used to hang around in the ground after we played, waiting to see if any other teams showed up with men short so i could play for whoever needed, sometimes played twice on saturdays and twice on sundays, going from ground to ground on my Bike.

I Just loved playing the Game. Never ever played with my Dad, but i had 5 brothers who where decent footballers, and can remember playing with and against at least 2 of them.

Cant ever remember getting sent off, i went in hard but was always Fair. Played competitive stuff till i was 36, couldnt do me or the team justice after that, so just played for fun.

Edited by Licker

depended who for

school left back/wing back but played right a few times, number 2

sunday league, upfront numero 9

and for both i played wing a fair few times

church team (only played 5 or 10) i played center mid or wide left

class at free-kicks,corners, crossing, n passin with either foot ... totally shite work rate now tho ... cant finish anymore either

Edited by CraccerC

could play either left back, centre back or left wing in school, could take a hell of a penalty as well! anyone reckon we should try and regiser a TT footy team? ;)

good idea mate lol, i'd play for that team haha.

i can play anywhere, but like midfield like but dont mind playing anywhere else

Edited by Everton Lad

Played RW but then went into CM. I'm not going to blow my horn and say how good I was, I wasn't good enough for Everton though :(.

Then around 12 our CB got injured and I volunteered (just the type I am) to play there. Played a blinder and next game I was given the number 5 shirt. Initally gutted but grown to love the position.

Now though I play either ST or CB. Bit of a lethel finisher for my 7-a-side uni team. And got a good record for the 11-a-side uni team.

Edited by TrueBlue

Left Back, never played anywhere else, because I couldn't.

Took all appropriate free kicks requiring a good left foot, and set the all time school record for sendings off in one season, 11.

If anyone got past me then God help them, I wasn't nasty, just competetive.

ATB

Mac

I can honestly say I never recieved a yellow or red card. Must be because I'm a model profressional or that no one ever seemed to get carded no matter how dirty the challenges were :rolleyes:

Pat, I got a nice scar on my right knee from a nasty tackle but I did do a Roy Keane on the guy the next time I played him ;) (but not as nasty)

As for cheerleading, maybe Zed and Goldy in some uniforms :huh:

I can honestly say I never recieved a yellow or red card. Must be because I'm a model profressional or that no one ever seemed to get carded no matter how dirty the challenges were :rolleyes:

Pat, I got a nice scar on my right knee from a nasty tackle but I did do a Roy Keane on the guy the next time I played him ;) (but not as nasty)

Cheers matey!!

ha ha ha ha!!!