IGNORED

Umbro Wont Allow Supermarkets To Sell England Kit

Louis

The producers of the new England shirt have come under fire for refusing to supply supermarkets.

Umbro launched the new kit with most outlets selling it for £39.99.

But Asda accused the company of ripping off fans by refusing to supply to supermarkets.

A spokesman for the store said: "It's about time Umbro played well and stopped being snotty. Once again football fans will be ripped off.

"In the past they have chosen not to deal direct with us and we have had to go to the grey market.

"So long as Umbro is selling the kit wholesale at a good price it shouldn't matter what the retail price is."

Football fans also complained that the new shirt was too expensive.

Pete Sampson of www.cfcnet.co.uk - Chelsea supporters' website - said: "Buying football shirts gets very expensive especially when you put the away shirts and club tops on top of it.

"£40 is definitely a lot of money for a shirt. It's the same price as a designer shirt almost."

Umbro argues that it has no control over the price at which retailers-sell the tops. It said the shirt was the most hi-tech design yet, with the new 'Trilogy' fabric, developed to 'control the microclimate between the skin and the shirt'.

But Phill Gatenby, of the Football Supporters' Federation, called on the company to provide different versions for players and fans.

"The players will need the technology but give us the same design without it for £20 and we will happily wear it in the pub or at the match."

Umbro refused to comment directly on the pricing complaints.

Jonathan Hill, commercial director of the FA, said: "The FA and Umbro always work very closely together to develop the best possible kit.

"Yet again, I think the new playing kit has pushed the boundaries of technology to give the players every possible advantage, while the design remains absolutely true to England's heritage."

Usual scenario...but it has to be said that Umbro do seem to be the worst offenders (coupled with JJB in Everton's case). Never stocked in cheaper outlets in my experience...may be different in Liverpool, don't know.

The point about the technology in the shirt is a good one....some fat bastard dragging one over his beer gut to watch a match at the pub has very little "microclimate" between shirt and skin... :rolleyes: , cheaper material would make seanse. And as they're all made for about 50p in far eastern sweatshops the price could easily come down and still keep the shareholders BMW habits fed.

Edited by mikeo

Said it before and I will say it again it's bad but it isn't as bad as the Everton shirts first had a shirt that only lasted one season cos they had existed for 125 years or something then the next year it was 100 years in the top flight. Ever since then we have changed all of our kits every season and we no longer have stupid reasons for doing so. I think we are the only team that does this, I used to think Utd were the rip off merchants with their multiple kits for Champions league but now it seems we are worse. Mr Wyness buy a couple less pies and pass the profits on to us by keeping a shirt for more than 1 season!!!!!!!

Edited by L_Blue

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Umbro in the business of selling replica football shirts?. How on earth can they refuse to supply a certain outlet just for the simple reason their profit margin will be called into question? (again). Think I have just answered me own question there.

Which brings me to my second point, how much thought and effort went into the "new" England strip?. A poor effort IMO, Surely the time has come for the FA to question Umbro's commitment to providing our kit, and look to another supplier.

I understand about contracts and what have you, but if a player can walk out on a contract with two years to run, so can the FA, only problem in my mind is traditionally we have used a British company (Admiral and Umbro), who is left who can supply a kit now Reebok have been bought by the Yanks?.

ATB

Mac

I've heard that Nike are buying out Umbro so that they can have the England contract.

I'm not too happy about that personally.. I wouldn't like a Nike Everton kit, I'm one of the few who'd prefer an Adidas style kit if any.

Still.. it'd be interesting to see how umbro treat Tesco once they are declared official Everton partners.. perhaps that is Tesco's target.. to be able to sell replica football shirts in their stores.

Deinitely agree Louis, I love the addida tops :( (rs one aint that good)

I hate Umbro shirts with a passion. Didn't mind them that much but since we went back to them from Puma I think I've only bought one or two shirts since then. Just can't stand the designs.

Even the England one, had to buy it obviously but I think I had my Argintina ( :| ) one on more than my England.

Also, this think about selected stores it utter nonsense. When I was up in Darlo the JJB there had about 3 shirts there, 2 smalls and a medium. Tried the medium and jeesh, skin tight lol. I couldn't get back home as I worked every Weekend. I finally got back at Christmas and bought one but already missed a load of Everton matches I wanted to watch with an Everton shirt on :(

Also about the different versions, that aint gonna make that much of a difference. I'd buy the 40 quid one, and I'm sure all the kids would want the most expensive one as well.

I agree TB, Puma was a major mistake, but not as big a mistake as going back to Umbro.

I am of the mind with our new US investor, our profile will be raised and may attract a half decent kit sponsor.

TB - ARGENTINA?, why not go the full hog and buy a German and Japanese kit too. :glasses02:

:D

ATB

Mac

Adidas manufacture kits for Bundesliga team Schalke - also known as the Royal Blues. This is their kit.

http://www.s04-shop.de/Shop/IMAGES%5C20510_gr.jpg

Personally Mac, I think the germany and Japan kits look great.

Germany:

prd_maxzoom_88339.jpg

Japan:

prd_maxzoom_740143.jpg

i love those kits, would love evertons kit to look like those. i wouldn't mind out of nike and adidas to make our kits, both make nice kits. umbro are shite as are puma and anythin else. adidas and nike kits for me

I agree TB, Puma was a major mistake, but not as big a mistake as going back to Umbro.

I am of the mind with our new US investor, our profile will be raised and may attract a half decent kit sponsor.

TB - ARGENTINA?, why not go the full hog and buy a German and Japanese kit too. :glasses02:

:D

ATB

Mac

LOL, well I've always liked the Argie tops, can't remember one being bad.

I would have loved to get the Germany one but couldn't find anywhere that sold it here and I didn't really go shopping when I was there.

Do regret not getting on now though :(

Adidas Everton Kits - dodgy colouring skills

post-1-1171135552_thumb.jpgpost-1-1171140756_thumb.jpg

Think the first one especially has too much white on the only home kit I haven't bought over the last ten years was the one 2 one kit with loads of white on it I thought that one was godawful tho looking back on it that one with the little stitched white bit around the collar and the yellow blue and white stripe across the middle sucked pretty hard also. Tho I did buy that one back when we had good players like Farrelly Tiler Ward Williamson etc

Edited by L_Blue