IGNORED

F1 Chat

Pretty encouraging first day of testing straight out of the box...

1. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:20.338

2. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari F60, 1:20.908

3. Jarno Trulli, Toyota TF109, 1:20.937

4. Jenson Button, Brawn BGP 001, 1:21.140

5. Nelson Piquet, Renault R29, 1:21.662

6. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:22.158

7. Mark Webber, Red Bull RB5, 1:22.246

8. Adrian Sutil, Force India VJM02, 1:22.452

9. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams FW31, 1:22.813

10. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren MP4-24, 1:22.948

Day three testing in Barcelona...

1. Jenson Button, Brawn BGP 001, 1:19.127

2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari F60, 1:20.168

3. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:20.217

4. Timo Glock, Toyota TF109, 1:20.410

5. Fernando Alonso, Renault R29, 1:20.863

6. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull RB5, 1:21.165

7. Nico Rosberg, Williams FW31, 1:21.324

8. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India VJM02, 1:21.545

9. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:21.569

10. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren MP4-24, 1:21.657

....and day four...

"The potent pace of the Brawn BGP 001 continued to impress at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya on Thursday, as this week’s multi-team test - the last before the season opening Australian Grand Prix later this month - drew to a close."

1. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn BGP 001, 1:18.926

2. Nico Rosberg, Williams FW31, 1:19.774

3. Timo Glock, Toyota TF109, 1:20.091

4. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull RB5, 1:20.576

5. Fernando Alonso, Renault R29, 1:20.664

6. Felipe Massa, Ferrari F60, 1:20.677

7. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1.09, 1:20.740

8. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren MP4-24, 1:20.869

9. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:21.013

10. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India VJM02, 1:21.045

11. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso STR4, 1:21.629

Looks like the Brawn could be a contender....Hamilton/McLaren struggling at the mo, but I'm sure they'll sort themselves out.

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has approved a change to the points systems for this year’s drivers’ championship, which will see the title awarded to the driver with the most race wins. The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the existing 10, 8, 6 etc. structure. The constructors’ championship is unaffected.

>More<

Edited by dark

Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, has approved a change to the points systems for this year’s drivers’ championship, which will see the title awarded to the driver with the most race wins. The rest of the standings, from second to last place, will be decided by the current points system.

If two or more drivers finish the season with the same number of wins, the title will be awarded to the driver with the most points, the allocation of points being based on the existing 10, 8, 6 etc. structure. The constructors’ championship is unaffected.

>More<

Why change something that has worked perfectly for years or could this be another anti-MacLaren action. Surely consistency has a part to play when measuring a drivers ability, does FIA expect drivers to go all out with a win the do all and end all of competion. The best car will have an even better chance of winning the ultimate prize now

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been a massive fan of Formula One over the years, MotoGP is more my thing but this time round I'm hooked. I watched the season finalé at Brazil last time round and thought that it was a fantastic race (even if Massa did lose) I can't say that I've warmed to Hamilton, I will say now that I won't be supporting him. Jenson Button seems to be the man that I've been following pre-season, the Brawn team are looking at giving teams like McLaren and Ferrari something to chase after which should be interesting.

Like I said I'm not a massive F1 buff but this season I am going to try and follow it, for Australia my support is with Brawn GP.

Pracice times for the race suggest that "Big Guns" may struggle for the early part of the season!

It'd be good to see a bit of a shake-up :) .

Seems ridiculous to me that there's still an appeal on about these diffusers that Brawn, Williams and Toyota have got. They all obviously came up with their designs independently and were themselves convinced they were within the rules. They all passed scrutineering and the FIA have thrown out the protest.

The others are just cross they didn't come up with something similar, but you can be damn sure all their factories are working round the clock to copy them.

Q&A with Rubens

Looking at the Friday times from Melbourne, you’d be forgiven for thinking that the world has been turned upside down, with some of last year’s backmarkers topping the timesheets. One of the drivers making an impact in Australia is veteran Rubens Barrichello, who posted the second fastest time of the afternoon for Brawn. Barrichello reviews his progress and looks ahead to Sunday’s race…

More

I'm sure that they will do. Brawn now have a head start if you like on the other teams and can make up some points until others catch up. Jenson and Rubens have the ability to complete the race in the top positions its just about keeping it steady and going through with it all. McLaren are having a shocking start to this campagn but I would never write them off. This season more than ever they will be wanting to win and won't be letting some technical hitches stop them from maximum success.

It's going to be interesting from the word go. I just hope Brawn can keep it together.

Jenson on pole and Brawn ahead of the rest by a street.

They said it would be a good car because Honda effectively sacrificed last year to concentrate on the new regs.

Thank goodness they kept it alive, would have been such a waste if they hadn't. Richard Branson on board now....the obvious question is...

Will they lose their virginity tomorrow :D ? Hope so.

Jenson on pole and Brawn ahead of the rest by a street.

They said it would be a good car because Honda effectively sacrificed last year to concentrate on the new regs.

Thank goodness they kept it alive, would have been such a waste if they hadn't. Richard Branson on board now....the obvious question is...

Will they lose their virginity tomorrow :D ? Hope so.

I see what you did there :P

Interesting new thing this year, the weights of the cars after qualifying are being made public so you can get an idea of everyone's fuel load. Looks like Jenson's going to stop a lap before Barachello, but the Brawn's weren't fuelled light to get the front row. Looks like they're actually carrying more fuel than anyone else in the top eight.

1. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 664.5kg

2. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 666.5kg

3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 657kg

4. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 6505kg

5. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 657kg

6. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 654kg

7. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 655.5kg

8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 662kg

9. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 691.5kg

10. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 680.7kg

Hamilton did well to finish 4th in that shite car too.

Does anyone else think the cars actually look crap this year? They've always looked quite sleek etc and with all the changes for this year they look a bit cheap and like toy cars :huh: .

Hamilton promoted to third :) .

I don't think the cars look too bad.....in a few races time no-one will remember what they used to look like I don't think, but I take the "toy car" point (the Brawn in particular, maybe the relative lack of sponsorship).

Why was that?

"Hamilton received a further boost following the race when he was elevated to third after Trulli was handed a 25-second penalty by the stewards for passing Hamilton under yellow flags following the crash involving Vettel and Kubica."

Torro Rosso press release this morning (the timing of it is significant).

"In the interests of maximising car reliability in high temperatures and humidity usually encountered in Malaysia, the Kers system will not actually use the recovered energy to boost engine power in the usual fashion."

"Instead the teams plan to use Kers as a sophisticated DCA (Driver Cooling Aid)."

"Energy recovered under braking is used to drive a refrigeration unit to chill down the cool store."

"This is connected into a special driver suit, so when the driver presses the Kers button cold liquid is circulated around his suit reducing his body temperature."

"Studies have shown that an increase in core body temperature of just one degree can reduce driver performance by as much as 23%."

Good race for Brawn and Jenson especially. Now there's a Brit pilot I like and can see myself supporting. Unlike Hamilton, whom I don't like at all, Button has the appeal of former champions like Mansel and the Hills.

Good to see something like that to be honest. Hopefully the days of one man running out in front for the whole season has gone and there will now be more variation with the winner. Brawn have done a fantastic job and will do well to keep it up when they go on the grid again. This is only the start, not the end.

Guilty as hell though by the look of it (certainly they're not appealing), they'll be lucky to not get more punishment.

Agreed. The haven't appealed... :mellow: