IGNORED

F1 Chat

Interesting stat (and proving my prediction when Jenson left Brawn/Mercedes wrong I'm happy to say)....

McLaren points in the three Hamilton/Button years....

Jenson...672

Lewis...657

Strange that Hamilton is still considered one of the "big three" while Jenson is never mentioned.....particularly when you add in the fact that Lewis was invariably ahead on the grid.

Button is the better racer imo. Lewis had the media on side from the get go coupled with a very lucky championship win.

"It is understood the FIA believes there is "no case to answer" with regard to a move made by world champion Sebastian Vettel on Jean-Eric Vergne during Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.

Questions were raised after Ferrari - the team of Fernando Alonso - were "evaluating footage" that appears to show Red Bull's Vettel making an illegal overtaking move.

The FIA, as well as race director Charlie Whiting, have now made it clear the overtake was legitimate and that no action will be taken."

The video shows pretty conclusively that he overtook under yellow though....be interested to hear why he has no case to answer if he doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA8673HU9kE

Interesting stat (and proving my prediction when Jenson left Brawn/Mercedes wrong I'm happy to say)....

McLaren points in the three Hamilton/Button years....

Jenson...672

Lewis...657

Strange that Hamilton is still considered one of the "big three" while Jenson is never mentioned.....particularly when you add in the fact that Lewis was invariably ahead on the grid.

Hamilton should have won the Championship this year. The number of times he was taken out when in a good position/pole, the car has failed when he was clear and the number of bollocks mistakes from Mclaren with regards to pitstops/strategy.

Everyone has their fair share of fortune/misfortune but this season was ridiculous for Hamilton.

Fair play to Button though, he never seems to drive the wheels off the car he just goes about his business and makes the most of other peoples troubles. Hamilton is by far the better racer which is probably what makes him so popular. Hamilton has probably made more in-race passes in a couple of races than Button has in the season.

Hamilton should have won the Championship this year. The number of times he was taken out when in a good position/pole, the car has failed when he was clear and the number of bollocks mistakes from Mclaren with regards to pitstops/strategy.

Everyone has their fair share of fortune/misfortune but this season was ridiculous for Hamilton.

Fair play to Button though, he never seems to drive the wheels off the car he just goes about his business and makes the most of other peoples troubles. Hamilton is by far the better racer which is probably what makes him so popular. Hamilton has probably made more in-race passes in a couple of races than Button has in the season.

Scraping the barrel there, Button's car was a dog for the best part of the season whereas the majority of Lewis' problems were self inflicted.

Wow, that's a compliment?

Based on?

I'd say it's the aggressive (dangerous unskilled) overtaking and the excessive marketing from the get go.

The fact Lewis is the one used more for marketing just reflects how crappy our X-Factor/Towie/KatiePrice generation are. I'd much rather children looked up to someone like Button as a role model.

Edit: I did try not to take the bait dry.png

Edited by pete0

Whilst he's undoubtedly a few tenths faster than Jenson (all things being equal) on raw pace I think I'd question whether he's the better racer. He certainly does overtake more often than Button (roughly twice as much according to the stats....although that rate includes all Jenson's years in slower teams so there won't be such a big differential when they've had the same equipment) but you have to ask why he needs to to when he's been ahead of Jenson on the grid in forty-five of the fifty-eight races they've started together. He's had less cars in front of him so why does he need to overtake more?

So Button normally starts behind Hamilton, overtakes fewer cars than him, is a slower driver and yet still manages to outperform him over three years....that's not down to luck. I'd say it proves pretty conclusively who's the better racer.

Scraping the barrel there, Button's car was a dog for the best part of the season whereas the majority of Lewis' problems were self inflicted.

Wow, that's a compliment?

Based on?

I'd say it's the aggressive (dangerous unskilled) overtaking and the excessive marketing from the get go.

The fact Lewis is the one used more for marketing just reflects how crappy our X-Factor/Towie/KatiePrice generation are. I'd much rather children looked up to someone like Button as a role model.

Edit: I did try not to take the bait dry.png

Haha I knew it would be you two!

Both cars are the same and its up to the driver to get the most out of them. If Button isnt able to do that then its not Hamilton's fault!

Not quite sure how you can say Hamilton's passing is unskilled! He is one of the best passers in the business!

Whilst he's undoubtedly a few tenths faster than Jenson (all things being equal) on raw pace I think I'd question whether he's the better racer. He certainly does overtake more often than Button (roughly twice as much according to the stats....although that rate includes all Jenson's years in slower teams so there won't be such a big differential when they've had the same equipment) but you have to ask why he needs to to when he's been ahead of Jenson on the grid in forty-five of the fifty-eight races they've started together. He's had less cars in front of him so why does he need to overtake more?

So Button normally starts behind Hamilton, overtakes fewer cars than him, is a slower driver and yet still manages to outperform him over three years....that's not down to luck. I'd say it proves pretty conclusively who's the better racer.

I should probably have clarified what I meant by racer. I would say Jenson is a better driver but Hamilton would make passes that Button wouldnt even dream of. Button makes a lot of passes through strategy and not as many on the track despite having one of the fastest cars out there.

Maybe you are looking at those stats incorrectly Mike. Maybe it shows that despite Hamilton being towards the top of the grid, he is making more than twice as many passes in the races where he isnt at the front :)

I think Hamilton should have easily had around 100 points more this season (based purely on races he was leading or in the top 3 and taken out due to another driver or his car failing) and whilst Jenson may well have picked up another 20-40, it would make Hamilton much further ahead on the totals.

Anyway, I am just baiting you both... We quite clearly have different opinions on this subject and while I dont expect expect him to do that well at Mercedes next year, I will be cheering for him ahead of 'boring' Button! ;p

Haha I knew it would be you two!

Both cars are the same and its up to the driver to get the most out of them. If Button isnt able to do that then its not Hamilton's fault!

Not quite sure how you can say Hamilton's passing is unskilled! He is one of the best passers in the business!

Button's car was having all sorts of mechanical and tech problems, nothing he could do about it.

See Alonso for how it's done. Hamilton sticks to the line then relies on scaring the other drivers out the way, as he will just drive into them.

Button's car was having all sorts of mechanical and tech problems, nothing he could do about it.

See Alonso for how it's done. Hamilton sticks to the line then relies on scaring the other drivers out the way, as he will just drive into them.

Nothing that Hamilton wasnt also experiencing.

I dont disagree that Alonso is also one of the best. Him and Hamilton are in my mind the best two drivers on the grid. What Alonso achieved last year is almost incredible considering the actual pace of the car (especially compared to the Redbulls).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was looking for this thread with the TT Search Engine for a good 15 minutes and couldn't find it :(

Anyway, on topic, it's sad to see the McLaren's so far down the pecking order and its worrying to hear Button say that he would be happy with a qualifying place in the Top 10 drivers.

Vettel defied team orders to overtake Webber and win today's.

He is a twat. I always hope he'll crash on the first corner.

He's apologised now and said he didn't know he'd done anything wrong until he got out of the car.

Very plausiblerolleyes.gif .

Hopefully at some time in the future Webber will ignore team orders and screw the obnoxious little shite.