IGNORED

F1 Chat

• 4 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 16:09, MikeO said:

Safety car; just what I didn't want (and Hamilton did):dry:.

But this morning it bit him on the bum:lol:. Was regretting getting up at 6.00am (felt like 5.00am due to the clocks changing) until then; few years back if you'd told me I'd be delighted by a Vettel win I'd have told you you were mad but I loved it. Good to see McLaren improvement as well, still a long way to go but promising.

19 minutes ago, johnh said:

I watched the highlights on Channel 4  -   B O R I N G!

That was probably a very short programme; it was indeed 99% boring as F1 tends to be these days but I enjoyed the 1%.

Ridiculous that Croft and Brundle kept talking it up with, "...he's within DRS range!" when I don't think there was a single overtake under DRS the whole race; certainly not a significant one.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

That was probably a very short programme; it was indeed 99% boring as F1 tends to be these days but I enjoyed the 1%.

Ridiculous that Croft and Brundle kept talking it up with, "...he's within DRS range!" when I don't think there was a single overtake under DRS the whole race; certainly not a significant one.

It was even shorter when  the first 30 minutes was pre-race talking heads. 

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

wow, so in 1 year of driving he's now able to handle a supercar?  wild

Verstappen didn’t even have his driving license yet when he started in F1 I don’t believe. He only needed to have a Super License (I think that’s what it’s called).

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

wow, so in 1 year of driving he's now able to handle a supercar?  wild

Not really, F1 drivers and racing drivers in general over here tend to start at 8 or 9 in karts and work their way up through the junior formulas so although they're not allowed on the road they're very experienced round a track.

He wouldn't be the youngest, Max Verstappen "...aged 17 years, 166 days, he became the youngest driver to compete in Formula 1 at the 2015 Australian Grand Prix for Scuderia Toro Rosso. He is also the youngest driver to lead a lap during a Formula One Grand Prix, youngest driver to set the fastest lap during a Formula One Grand Prix, youngest driver to score points, youngest driver to secure a podium and youngest Formula One Grand Prix winner in history."

Unfortunately he has a tendency to still think he's on the bumper cars at a funfair from time to time  https://twitter.com/vercrashen

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Not really, F1 drivers and racing drivers in general over here tend to start at 8 or 9 in karts and work their way up through the junior formulas so although they're not allowed on the road they're very experienced round a track.

He wouldn't be the youngest, Max Verstappen "...aged 17 years, 166 days, he became the youngest driver to compete in Formula 1 at the 2015 Australian Grand Prix for Scuderia Toro Rosso. He is also the youngest driver to lead a lap during a Formula One Grand Prix, youngest driver to set the fastest lap during a Formula One Grand Prix, youngest driver to score points, youngest driver to secure a podium and youngest Formula One Grand Prix winner in history."

Unfortunately he has a tendency to still think he's on the bumper cars at a funfair from time to time  https://twitter.com/vercrashen

that explains it then, thanks mike.  didn't realize there was a whole junior side to it.  

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:27, Romey 1878 said:

Very, very boring race though. 

F1 will be struggling to get news fans for a long time if the past few years are anything to go by. 

never mind new fans, it is keeping the current fans that should worry them.

Not F1 but if we though that was bad, world endurance at Le Mans...

"Toyota are effectively without direct opposition at Le Mans this year because they are the only team racing in the leading LMP1 hybrid class, following the withdrawal at the end of last season of champions Porsche.

The other LMP1 cars, which are not hybrids and are run by privateer teams, have a series of handicaps laid out in the rules.

They are not allowed to lap faster the Toyotas, and if they do, they are called in to the pits for a drive-through penalty. Hybrids can do 11 laps between fuel stops and non-hybrids only 10 and hybrids have a minimum pit-stop time five seconds shorter than the non-hybrids."

What the fuck:huh:?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44465899

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"Toyota are effectively without direct opposition at Le Mans this year because they are the only team racing in the leading LMP1 hybrid class, following the withdrawal at the end of last season of champions Porsche.

The other LMP1 cars, which are not hybrids and are run by privateer teams, have a series of handicaps laid out in the rules.

They are not allowed to lap faster the Toyotas, and if they do, they are called in to the pits for a drive-through penalty. Hybrids can do 11 laps between fuel stops and non-hybrids only 10 and hybrids have a minimum pit-stop time five seconds shorter than the non-hybrids."

So basically, they’re not actually allowed to race. Jesus wept :lol: 

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Jaysus H Christ on a bike.  why bother with the series then,  just give the fucking trophy to them now

This is better anyway : (the sport not the injuries)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/44083363

Never expected this; and fancy Alonso making up two minutes on experienced endurance drivers in the second Toyota:rolleyes:! What a farce. I like Alonso but he doesn't deserve the triple crown when a third of it is spoon fed to him so I hope he doesn't win the Indy 500, no way on the World the yanks will gift him that fortunately.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/44510955

Fernando Alonso won Le Mans 24 Hours at the first attempt as he and team-mates Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima finally ended Toyota's long drought.

Toyota had never won the sportscar race despite years of trying but finally delivered in an event in which they were effectively without opposition.

shite imho would this inspire you to now buy a Toyota ??  

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, johnh said:

Mercedes screw up the safety car strategy again.  

Not really, Bottas should've pitted but keeping Mr Sulky out was the right call, he lucked into second but still made an embarrassment of himself at the end, spat the dummy and dodged the post race interview (never seen anyone do that before). He really is an obnoxious little shit.....did I ever mention before that I'm not a fan:lol:?

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Not really, Bottas should've pitted but keeping Mr Sulky out was the right call, he lucked into second but still made an embarrassment of himself at the end, spat the dummy and dodged the post race interview (never seen anyone do that before). He really is an obnoxious little shit.....did I ever mention before that I'm not a fan:lol:?

Well if  they'd pitted Bottas and he got new tyres he would probably have won,  so I think it was a screw up.

12 minutes ago, johnh said:

Well if  they'd pitted Bottas and he got new tyres he would probably have won,  so I think it was a screw up.

Disagree, no way would he have passed Vettel on the same tyres, Vettel had him comfortably covered the whole race; if he'd stopped he might have pipped Raikkonen for third though (no chance of second due to inevitable team orders).