F1 Chat

32 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Of course he's committed, he's getting paid a shit load of money so why on earth would he walk away from that?

I think he’s pretty genuine though mate 

26 minutes ago, Btay said:

I think he’s pretty genuine though mate 

They've signed Alex Palou for 2023 though, and they're not going to put an IndyCar champ in the test car are they?

Lando out performing Ric at every race, and has a longer contract, he's on his way out for sure.

18 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's under contract, he's not going to walk away from a years worth of it. He can be genuine all he likes but that's the long and short of it. Money.

Yeah but I think he’s the first to admit his results haven’t been good enough. The interview from Zak Brown earlier in the year only added fuel to the fire with his contract situation. 

Australian connection aside I hope he gets it together as he’s a quite likeable character.

19 hours ago, MikeO said:

They've signed Alex Palou for 2023 though, and they're not going to put an IndyCar champ in the test car are they?

Lando out performing Ric at every race, and has a longer contract, he's on his way out for sure.

Lando is a really good driver, his consistency has been excellent. ( he hasn’t out performed him in every race though - just a majority… ) I agree that Riccardio won’t be staying on with Mclaren but it’s been a combination of his poor form/lack of connection with the car & some poor strategy/car issues. 70/30 split for me.

35 minutes ago, Btay said:

Yeah but I think he’s the first to admit his results haven’t been good enough. The interview from Zak Brown earlier in the year only added fuel to the fire with his contract situation. 

Btay, you're not really getting what I'm saying. Him coming out and saying he's committed to the team for the next year is being proclaimed as this big statement but it's not. Of course he's committed because he's under contract and he isn't going to walk away from millions of pounds that he won't get elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'm not surprised. He's lost his mojo and I think Aston is a toxic place to be. Bets on de Vries going there? Wolff has been quoted as saying he can't offer him a seat.

He’s been quoted as saying he can’t find him a seat, as in with another team. Says he doesn’t want to be seen as influencing other teams by trying to force his man into a seat.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him rock up at Williams. 

6 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Young Schumacher being liked to Aston. Would Stroll jnr welcome a fellow young driver? Better an experienced driver which could justify him being outclassed. If McLaren lose patience, Ricciardo anyone?

That would be very weird if it happens. It's clear Ferrari have placed him at Haas to eventually end up with them.

5 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

But have Ferrari set their sights on, say, Lando? How long would Mick wait?

The only way he's not getting in that Ferrari is if he absolutely flops at Haas and that doesn't look likely. They'll want to make that story happen.

I could see Lando at Mercedes once Hamilton retires myself.

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

The only way he's not getting in that Ferrari is if he absolutely flops at Haas and that doesn't look likely. They'll want to make that story happen.

I could see Lando at Mercedes once Hamilton retires myself.

Lando is contracted to McLaren for another three season after this one, they won't want to let him go.

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Lando is contracted to McLaren for another three season after this one, they won't want to let him go.

That would tie in nicely with what I said then because it looks like Hamilton will be around for a few years yet.

I can't see Hamilton lasting more than one season if he doesn't win another championship - pretty unlikely as it stands. Lando's 3 year contract can be bought out particularly if he wants to go.

I recognise Ferrari want the romance of Schumi mark 2 but how good would he be?

26 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I know he only finished third in the end but that was a quality race from Russell.

It was. Moment of the race for me was Ricciardo taking both Alpines in one move, shame he faded so much towards the end after his penalty; lonely race for Lando but best of the rest again is OK.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It was. Moment of the race for me was Ricciardo taking both Alpines in one move, shame he faded so much towards the end after his penalty; lonely race for Lando but best of the rest again is OK.

The way Russell held off Leclerc for so long was lovely to watch. The Merc looks like it'll challenge the Ferrari's for the rest of the season.

Still a long way to go to be battling with Max but they are making progress.

On 01/08/2022 at 01:33, Romey 1878 said:

Bloody hell, Alonso is going to Aston Martin as Vettel's replacement.

Surely the wrong pick for Lawrence Stroll again, going with the biggest name available? 

Also... how about this McLaren-Alpine-Piastri ordeal?

4 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Surely the wrong pick for Lawrence Stroll again, going with the biggest name available? 

Also... how about this McLaren-Alpine-Piastri ordeal?

I think it's the wrong pick by Alonso as well tbh. Can understand Stroll going after him though.

Yeah, that's a clusterfuck and a half like. Alpine have come out of all of this looking like fools what with not even knowing Alonso was leaving until AM announced it and then the Piastri stuff.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12664225/alpine-boss-otmar-szafnauer-says-he-discovered-fernando-alonsos-aston-martin-move-via-press-release

Alpine offering a year and possibly and extension so Fernando has gone to AM for a final big pay check dangled by Stroll Snr. Can't blame him but from being a fan he won't get any support from me next season.

2 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Definitely silly season now. Piastri to McLaren. Gasly mooted for Alpine. Where for Danny Ric? I read Haas with young Schumi moving to AlphaTauri.

Danny Ric belongs in the commentators booth right now.