IGNORED

Why Do Everton Never Play European Friendlies?

Louis

I can't remember the last time Everton played decent European opposition abroad in a pre-season friendly (I'm not counting the Scottish teams or the Austrian teams who Unsworth said had the abilitiy of 'pub teams'.).

I think it would be suiting if we had a few games in France,Germany, Holland or Spain in the summer just to give us fans something affordable to go to.. the average fan can't afford to go Texas for a match and Scotland doesn't have the appeal..

A German tour would be good experience for us.. we'd get to see the new stadiums first hand and many German stadiums still have terraces so it could be enjoyable..

I fear the problem may be travelling costs..

Failing that we could have a friendly tournament at Goodison and invite..

Bayern Munich

Rapid Vienna

Dynamo Moscow

we played althelic bilboa during pre-season. but i agree decent oppo would be nice to watch.

That was at home mate ;) Oh yeah I forgot about Fenerbahce.. well I blocked it out.. lost 5-0 didn't we. Still games like that can only add to experience, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger ;)

I know there were reports that they might come out to Vancouver Canada in July. It is either going to be Aston Villa or Everton. I'm just hoping they play a game anywhere in Northwest England when I'm there. It would be amazing if they played in Dublin since they launched that Everton in Ireland campaign but I doubt it

Yeah I heard about Vancouver.. I think it was meant to be a secret but it was asked about in the latest AGM meeting and David Moyes said 'how did you know about that?' to the person who asked. Everton have some kind of link up with Ontario Soccer Association and the new soon to be MLS team Toronto FC. I think it's safe to say we will be going out there in the summer to ride on the wave of the U-20 Gold Cup tournament and promote 'brand Everton'.

I can't remember the last time Everton played decent European opposition abroad in a pre-season friendly (I'm not counting the Scottish teams or the Austrian teams who Unsworth said had the abilitiy of 'pub teams'.).

I think it would be suiting if we had a few games in France,Germany, Holland or Spain in the summer just to give us fans something affordable to go to.. the average fan can't afford to go Texas for a match and Scotland doesn't have the appeal..

Anderlecht in 2002 was the last time wasnt it and after the traveling blues smashed the belgian fans and police all over the street the board made a decision not to travel to Europe pre-season ever again and opted for long haul trips to try and get out of reach of any trouble causers!

I remember reading that the belgian police were too oppressive and he fans reacted badly to it.. i've just done a google and can't find anything about it only a match report on bluekipper.

Theres a chapter on it in Scally and I remember watching the news reports, the got the water cannons out and riot shields but the Evertonians ended up running around wearing riot gear when they lost control and had to pull back out.

The police apparently got overly aggressive with a few thousand scousers containing every ex-hooligan associated with Everton (they had used it as a bit of a reunion due to hooliganism being pretty much stamped out in the premier league). As the story goes the plod got that heavy handed dads with kids and old fellas were havin a go too just to protect themselves!

That my friend is why Everton dont play friendly games close enough for the lads to jump an easy jet, in short we cant be trusted to be good!

Joe.. here is the quote from the AGM minutes about Vancouver:

Mark Denny, a shareholder who likes to get his summer holidays sorted out nice and early, asked Mr Moyes was Vancouver likely to happen next summer! Mr Moyes sounded amazed, saying, “I can’t believe you knew about that!” At the moment it looks unlikely that Vancouver will be the chosen destination next summer, even though it’s the only offer at present.

Joe.. here is the quote from the AGM minutes about Vancouver:
I actually really hope that they don't come to Vancouver this year. I go to school 45 mins south of the city but will be spending my summer in Dublin this year. Now if it happens next year, I'd be all for it :D