IGNORED

Everton's Chances Of Europe

jamiemaher85

What do people think our chances of secruing a eufa cup spot are this year?

at the moment i would say that the main 4 contenders for the 6th place are Us, Reading, Spuds, Pompey.

Here are all of our next four fixtures:

Us

Shedff Utd (A)

Arsenal (H)

Villa (A)

Fulham (H)

Reading

Arsenal (a)

Pompey (h)

Spurs (a)

Liverpool (H)

Spurs

West Ham (a)

Watford (H)

Reading (h)

Chelsea (a)

Pompey

Chelsea

Reading (a)

Fulham

Man Utd

now i can see us overtaking reading in the next few games, its all just a case of keeping hold of 6th then. Think that pompey will start to strugle a but, and just hope that spurs will tire themselves. In between these 4 games they also have another 3 games (fa cup/eufa cup)

what do people think?

oooooo

just had a look at all our last 3 games (just on the assumption that the four mentioned teams may still be vying for 6th place, though teams like the blackburn and the barcodes will undoubtably be up their my then)

anyway here are the lst three games. and ours look tricky.

Reading

Barcodes

Watford

Blackburn

Pompey

Liverpool

Everton

Arsenal

Spurs

Middlesbourogh

Charlton

Man City

Us

Man Utd

Pompey

Chelski

^^^^

Ouch

Taking personal opinion out of it and looking at what the bookies think is IMO the best indicator of our chances...

For a top six finish at the mo Bolton are odds on...and I think they're unlikely to fall apart enough to miss out.

Then we're (roughly) even with Spurs and Reading at about 2-1....

Then Blackburn and Pompey at 6/7-1 and Newcastle 10-1.

Although Spurs have hit form I think that too many games might trip them up and (hopefully) the Reading bubble has now burst. Pompey are going nowhere and if we play resonably well then Blackburn and the bar-codes are too far behind to come into it.

Also the likelyhood is that with the "Big" three kept separate in the last eight of the FA Cup two of them will make the final (barring an upset) so UEFA qualification will go down to seventh. Even if there is an upset it's most likely to be Spurs making the final which would take them out of the equation anyway.

Failing all that we'd probably enter the Intertoto if we finished eighth, not a bad option now that eleven teams move on into UEFA from it.

Taking all of that into account I think it would take a very poor run-in for us to fail to qualify somehow.

^^^

true true.

i reckon that between now and end season we could (and should) pick up between 15 and 17 points.

we should (and if we dont their points dropped) sheff utd, fulhma, charlton, west ham. and we should pick up draws against villa, bolton and pompey. these last three i think we should draw them but could sneak one for a win.

the other three games we have apart from those are arsenal, man utd, chelsea. and im not holding out for anything from them, we could nick a result at chelsea if the leauge is already wrapped up though. i think blackburn beat them last game of the season last year.

we have already dropped alot of silly points this season (wigan and mancity spring instantly to mind) we cannot drop anymore.

If one of the top 4 win the fa cup 7th would be enough wouldn´t it?

:lol: Spent half an hour explaining that two posts up (I'm a slow typer :unsure: )...but one of them winning is not enough in itself because the place then goes to the runner-up, so they need to be qualified elsewhere also.

That's the reason 6th in the league is already a UEFA place...there's only a definite spot for 5th in the league....then the Carling Cup winners (if they're already qualified it goes to 6th in the league, not runners-up, then the FA cup winners (if they're already qualified it goes to runners-up, if runners-up already qualified it goes to seventh in the league).

:lol: We had this whole conversation last year for weeks and it turned out to be a complete waste of time...maybe we shouldn't tempt fate this time...just win one game at a time and see what happens come the end of the season.

I think we have a good chance to do it. The next four matches will determine whether we make it in my opinion since the end of the season will be tough. Pompey has a very tough schedule and I think they will slowly start drop in the table. Spurs have the easiest schedule out of the four teams and I would assume they will do well. I think it will come down to us and Reading

That's the reason 6th in the league is already a UEFA place...there's only a definite spot for 5th in the league....then the Carling Cup winners (if they're already qualified it goes to 6th in the league, not runners-up, then the FA cup winners (if they're already qualified it goes to runners-up, if runners-up already qualified it goes to seventh in the league).

:lol: We had this whole conversation last year for weeks and it turned out to be a complete waste of time...maybe we shouldn't tempt fate this time...just win one game at a time and see what happens come the end of the season.

^^^

so what do we talk about until then?

surely the whole point of this is to waste time and avoid work/school/uni/wives/girlfriends...

;):P

I think on present form we should win four, draw three, and lose three of the last ten games giving us another fifteen points.

If any of the four wins come against Pompey and Bolton, then they will need to get more points than us out of their last ten, will we have enough for sixth place with 57 points. ?? its going to be tough having to play the last 3 where we might get no points at all, so we have to win 4 and draw 3 of the next 7. oooohh maybe not sixth after all :( too many points already squandered Methinks.