IGNORED

Remaining Season

Joe

I know there are similar threads like this but what are everyone's thoughts on the remaining season? Us, Bolton, Reading, Pompey,Spurs and Blackburn are all fighting for a Uefa spot. Spurs have the easy remaining schedule out of all the clubs and worry me the most. Our schedule is not the easiest but I have faith we can finish in a Uefa spot. I think Pompey will start dropping and hopefully Reading will too. It will be tough to catch Bolton but it definitely is do able because of their recent form. Our season really comes down to the five matches from april 2- 21. This will determine were we finish in my opinion. Hopefully we can gain enough points in this stretch to secure a Uefa spot.We have Villa, Fulham, Bolton, Charlton and West Ham. It is vital that we take as many points as possible (obviously) before we finish with Man utd, Pompey and Chelsea.

Any thoughts on how 5-8 will look at the end of the season?

The thing is, no one has played consistently well since 01-01 (well, arguably Reading has been)

Bolton has been L-D-L-D-W-W-L-L (that's 8 points of 24)

You've been L-D-W-D-W-L-W-D (that's 12 points of 24)

Reading has been W-D-W-W-W-W-L-L (that's 16 points of 24)

Spurs have been D-L-D-L-L-W-W-W (that's 11 points of 24)

Pompey has been D-D-L-D-L-W-L-L (that's 6 points of 24)

Rovers have been W-L-W-L-L-W-L-W-W (that's 15 points of 27)

If recent form means anything, then Rovers, Reading and you have the best chance of finishing in the top 6. But without Cahill, you've got some big midfield problems.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that you'll pip Spurs for 5th, with Reading and Rovers just behind.

Need some sort of result next game Vs ArsenaL if we dont get at least a draw we will need to win 4 and draw 2 from next 6, cos the last 2 are Man ure and Chelski. :blink: we'll get nowt from them. :(

We might just hold on to 6th place but we will have to be consistent.

I think 5th, 6th and possibley 7th (If Man U Cheslea FA Cup final) will be between oursevels, Bolton, Spurs and Balckburn.

Don't think Pompey and Reading will last the distance.

We have got a very good goal difference this season - which is very encouraging - you look at past tables - not many teams outside the top 4 ever get more than +10 goals.

If we can carry on and have +15 goals by the end of the season I am sure a European spot will come with that.

I always keep one eye on the goals +/- column - as that usually tells a truer picture about where the team is really at. Remember our 4th place finish with -1 goal - A huge marker that we over acheived that season.

This will be the first season in a long while where we have scored more than we have let in. This shows we can defend and we can attack- and thats a solid foundation for any squad to be built and improve.

All the stats point to the fact we are more than deserving of our current position in the league, which is very encouraging whether we finish 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th come mid May.

We have had a rollercoaster rid over the last 4 seasons with Moyes, sometimes we finish high sometimes we finish low, with none a true refelection of where we are really at.

At this moment in time I would say we are a honest 5th to 7th place team, that is that is were our squad probabley deserves to be. We have had our fair share of injuries as well as a fair share of dodgy ref desicions. So nothing has been masked by good luck.

Now to me that shows that Moyes has been a great manager for us. We are a solid top 8 team, with a young and improving squad. In a competative league Moyes has won two manager of the season awards, with a team he has been rebuilding - that's fair going in my book, when you look at the only other managers who have two manager of the season awards to there name (Ferguson and Wenger)

Moyes has done the best part of rebuilding the Everton squad - how is his chance to make one or two quality signings each summer to really move on.

Before he came we were a soild, ageing realistic relegation candidate year in year our.

Does anybody have details on the transfer deficite Moyes has work with over 5 years? I bet it is a long way away from the current squad value we have?

I bet there a very few managers in the country - who team is worth more than has been spent, and that includes the top 4.

All I can ask of a manager is to steadily improve the standing of the club with regard to realistic league position without putting the finacial position of the club at seriouse risk. Moyes has done that.

We are as competative as your Spurs and Newcastles - and look at the transfer fees and wages being spent at those clubs.

I am expecting more of the same this season and to finish 6th/7th - a bit of good luck maybe 5th, and a bit of bad luck maybe 8th. Its all that close at the top. The most satifying thing this season is that I think we really belong in this group of 4 teams. Making me feel optomistic about the coming few seasons

I know there are similar threads like this but what are everyone's thoughts on the remaining season? Us, Bolton, Reading, Pompey,Spurs and Blackburn are all fighting for a Uefa spot. Spurs have the easy remaining schedule out of all the clubs and worry me the most. Our schedule is not the easiest but I have faith we can finish in a Uefa spot. I think Pompey will start dropping and hopefully Reading will too. It will be tough to catch Bolton but it definitely is do able because of their recent form. Our season really comes down to the five matches from april 2- 21. This will determine were we finish in my opinion. Hopefully we can gain enough points in this stretch to secure a Uefa spot.We have Villa, Fulham, Bolton, Charlton and West Ham. It is vital that we take as many points as possible (obviously) before we finish with Man utd, Pompey and Chelsea.

Any thoughts on how 5-8 will look at the end of the season?

I think (and hope) Reading and pompey will falter. That loss to Spurs is looking more and more costly. Spurs are on a roll and I feel will finish in a Euro spot. Its looking tough for Everton with the games we have left, I'm hoping 7th spot will open up coz I feel thats where we'll end up. Unless Bolton start to slide. I dont think Blackburn have it in them. SO I'm hoping for 6th but I fear 7th is where we'll end up. HOPE I'M WRONG.

WHAT I HONESTLY THINK

5- BOLTON

6- SPURS

7- EVERTON

8- WHO CARES

WHAT IS REALISTICALLY POSSIBLE

4- BOLTON

5- RS

6- EVERTON

7- SPURS

8- ?

If we finish 7th, I would personally be very happy and consider that a successful season, regardless of whether we get into Europe.

That said, we are now in the European place, it is within our hands and it is up to us not to let is go

COYB