IGNORED

Evertons Blueprint For Success

here is a interesting articel put on the BBC website about eveton and investment, the interview is with Tom Cannon, one of our shareholders:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ton/6469999.stm

Everton are chasing Liverpool's giant shadow as they search for serious investment and ponder whether to stay at Goodison Park or make a long-awaited ground move.

Staying at Goodison Park is the nearest thing to a guarantee of decline that you can come up with

Professor Tom Cannon

Chairman Bill Kenwright has watched Liverpool seal a block-busting £450m takeover with American tycoons George Gillett and Tom Hicks and start work on a new £250m stadium close to Everton's own home.

Kenwright, in contrast, continues a hunt for investors that has lasted years and is still waiting to finalise plans for a proposed ground switch.

The club is currently in talks with Tesco and Knowsley Council about a new stadium in Kirkby - but even this his raised the hackles of some fans who are mounting a campaign against a move outside the Liverpool city boundary.

Everton have reached a pivotal point in their history - so what might the future hold for one of English football's great institutions?

Here, football finance expert and Everton shareholder Professor Tom Cannon investigates how attractive the club is to potential investors, and reveals the frustrations and letdowns Kenwright has suffered in his search for greater financial firepower.

Cannon also delivers a blunt answer to those Everton fans rebelling against a move away from Goodison - warning that to remain at their current home will be a blueprint for rapid decline.

ARE EVERTON ATTRACTIVE TO INVESTORS?

It depends on the type of investor. If you are looking for a bankable asset probably not because bankable assets are probably the top four clubs, with one or two others who are single town clubs such as Newcastle.

If you are a speculator and you think you could invest enough to turn a club strategically in another direction then they might be attractive.

WHY WEST HAM AND ASTON VILLA BUT NOT EVERTON?

With West Ham there was a very real London factor, as you have seen with a certain shift in football power from the north to the south. London is seen as one of the most dynamic economies in the world.

Another element with West Ham, which was a peculiarity, was a lot of the talk about possibilities linked to the 2012 Olympics and the possibility of a ground transfer to the Olympic Stadium

I think investors saw that as a real opportunity.

Villa are a genuine long-term potential club. They have history. They have won the European Cup and, despite the fact that Birmingham may get promoted to the Premiership next season, they are still the only major club in the Midlands.

That is a franchise that stretches almost from Leicester and the east Midlands right over to parts of central Wales.

The natural franchise for Villa is probably 15 million people, whereas the natural franchise for Everton is maybe 1.5m.

In financial terms, they look a much better bet than Everton. Their ground is in a good position and they are virtually debt-free.

And they had someone in Doug Ellis who, for all the criticism levelled at him, ran a tight ship that made them debt-free and relatively inexpensive to buy.

HAVE EVERTON HAD INTEREST FROM INVESTORS?

The failure of the Fortress Sports Fund to materialise certainly made people inside the club more cautious.

When you talk to people within the club, maybe they took people at face value and I think that has now created a genuine sense of caution.

I know Bill Kenwright well enough to know he has had an awful lot of false promises about investment. The truth of the matter is that he has had an awful lot of people talk about promises and they have come to nothing.

The Fortress Sports Fund got a lot of publicity but it was only one of many false claims by people who said they had a willingness or ability to put money into Everton.

I know Bill Kenwright well enough to know he has had an awful lot of false promises on investment

Professor Tom Cannon

Externally, there is some worry about putting money into the second club in a town. When you talk about branding, people want to invest in the brand leader not the second brand and, unfortunately for Everton, they are not the brand leader in Liverpool.

But I am sure there are investors out there looking at Everton.

While hedge funds are awash with money, while speculators are seeing opportunities in English football, while sports franchises see English football as a big potential area for development, then there are bound to be people looking at a club like Everton - with its very strong support base, history of achievement, and a strong squad.

People will be looking at Everton, although I would have to add that they might not be at the top of people's list at the moment.

HOW MUCH WOULD IT TAKE TO BUY EVERTON?

One of the hardest things in the world is to value a football club.

If it was a takeover, one would have to assume there would be a premium. So assume that premium, particularly in the current market, would probably value the club at around £50m.

There is also now the question of the new stadium.

It looks like there is a very attractive package on offer in Knowsley, so assume Everton need to put in £30m for the stadium and then to invest to clear most of the debt would probably be another £30m.

Everton are relatively debt-free in Premiership terms, so let's say it takes £100m to buy the club, make an investment in the stadium and clear most of the debt.

Everton normally spend around £20m a year on players.

So in terms of players, to take Everton to the next level and spending more than you normally spend, you are probably talking between £40m and £60m, taking the gross price to about £150m to £170m.

WOULD BILL KENWRIGHT SELL?

Bill has said in the past he would stand aside if someone he regarded as the right person came along, and I believe he is being 100% accurate in that, but that hasn't happened yet.

I remember an accountant arranging a meeting and said he had somebody willing to put £10m into Everton. I was at the meeting with Bill Kenwright and obviously we expected to meet the man who was putting up the £10m.

The only person who turned up was the accountant - and all he wanted to talk about was an enormous, truly enormous, finder's fee before he would even tell us who the investor was.

I don't think there is any way Bill would hold this up if the investor or investors came along and I'm confident no-one else on the board would either.

I think Bill has done very well for Everton.

There are things he could do differently. I think the board is too small, with only two or three people. He should be looking for a more broadly-based board, maybe five or six people with different kinds of expertise, if not more money.

Look at who Bill's closest friend in football is? It is David Dein at Arsenal and they did not achieve their success overnight.

One of the funniest things I've heard recently was one Everton fan holding up West Ham as a model of how the club should be going.

HOW IMPORTANT IS A NEW GROUND?

The ground move is crucial, given the type of ground developments we are seeing in the north-west of England.

Everton need a new ground. Goodison Park is old, tired and badly structured, with 3,000 obscured-view seats and only 11 executive boxes.

Staying at Goodison Park is the nearest thing to a guarantee of decline that you can come up with.

Whatever you did there, the cost would be enormous. If you tried to close down sides while you turned the ground around, it would inevitably be in the shadow of the new Anfield. I think it should be some distance away.

There are people who say stay at Goodison. I say to them then plan to be in the Championship, and possibly the next division down in the Football League, in the not too distant future.

I don't see Kirkby as a problem. If Manchester United can be outside Manchester, I don't see why Everton can't be outside Liverpool.

Staying at Goodison takes Everton to being more like Tranmere Rovers than the Everton of old.

Knowsley Council has a fantastic reputation for collaboration. You don't have organisations the size of Ford, News International and Tesco involved with the council unless that is the case.

These people who say being in Liverpool is a guarantee of success should ask what Marine have ever earned.

Being in Liverpool is not a guarantee of success.

Having the money to spend on players, having money to invest in the development of talent and having money to bring in the best in terms of management and skills is the way you get success.

Everton are obviously involved with Tesco in the new ground and we are very lucky to have arguably the most successful company in Britain being run by a totally committed Evertonian in Sir Terry Leahy.

But it must all make sound sense for everyone involved because I do not believe Sir Terry would make a decision like this based on sentiment. He would not damage Tesco and he would not damage Everton.

I'm not really a fan of Tom Cannon to be honest, he is the guy with long hair and glasses who often appears on Sky Sports when there is a rumoured takeover..

He appears to be playing for a seat on the board. At the last shareholders meeting people were ridiculing Kenwright he said he didnt want to be associated with the anti BK brigade and so left the meeting prematurely.

Marine is in Sefton

The Tranmere reference is random

If we stay at Goodison it does not make relegation certain

Everton has a larger catchment area than 1.5m

Aston Villa do not have a catchment area of 15m and they shouldn't even be referenced there - it's of no relevance.

Marine is in Sefton

The Tranmere reference is random

If we stay at Goodison it does not make relegation certain

Everton has a larger catchment area than 1.5m

Aston Villa do not have a catchment area of 15m and they shouldn't even be referenced there - it's of no relevance.

louis how come on every single post made in support of the move do you come back with negitave feedback??? how on earth can you see the club surviving staying at Goodison??? look at notts forrest sh*tty ground poor debts remind you of a club? the only reson your against the move and what i think most are is that you will have to travel a bit further, what the guy said about man utd!!! how is that different tou our situation? i think the only way forward is to get out the city limits coz they have done fu*k all for us made not effort to keep us there. come back with a comment about blah blah said this and blah blkah said that. if they wanted us to stay we would have a location already im not bothered what you alkl make of this post to be honest im sick of all the moaning going on about the move! ITS GOING TO HAPPEN WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT???? so get over it either go buy a red shirt or support your club whatever they decide to do, i mean are we moving to london??? THREE MILES not far

Gaz, you seem to have forgotten your history, we where the first, the one and only club in this city, so why should we be shipped out as 2nd class citizens when the council is bending over backwards to help the other team.

We gave birth to them, we applied for stanley park before they did and we got refused. You may be quite content to accept the shit thats getting thrown at us, but there are some who still see this club as the big Daddy and should be given more respect.

Gaz, you seem to have forgotten your history, we where the first, the one and only club in this city, so why should we be shipped out as 2nd class citizens when the council is bending over backwards to help the other team.

We gave birth to them, we applied for stanley park before they did and we got refused. You may be quite content to accept the shit thats getting thrown at us, but there are some who still see this club as the big Daddy and should be given more respect.

no i haven't forgot my history mate i understand what you are saying but why have LCC not gave us anywhere to go? that is my arguement? can you stay with a girl if she dont want you? LCC dont want us anymore so leave them and lets make one of the best moves for the club and supporters in the long run, as i i said before mate its going to happen weather you decide to not go the games or not, its a dying breed is an everton fan with liverpool building there new ground and all the succes they have had over the last few years if wqe stay where we are (and you cant argue with it) in there shadow then we will struggle to fill the ground we have at the mo, never mind a 55000 seater stadium, kirkby has a mass of everton fans how do i know i used to live ther but im in cornwall now, like i said before im not just happy with the move to kirkby coz i used to live there i would travel anywhere to see the blues play! but where else are we going to get sort of oportunity, its going to be free!

Edited by gaz efc

History is important, but not as important as the future.

In modern football - money rules, end of the story, there is no way a football club can break in to the top 4 and stay there without money.

For a club like ours every penny counts and if the best deal finacially for the club is a move to Kirby, then I am all for it.

Nostaligia should be a long way down the line when it comes influencing desisions that impact on the future of the club.

Yes, in an ideal world, we would just change the site of Goodison to a state of the art stadium - but it's not going to happen. Lets move on.

I am very happy that we are currently involved in a dynamic company like Tesco's - This company area a doing company - they walk the walk as well as talk the talk. If they are involved the stadium will be up in record time.

History is important, but not as important as the future.

In modern football - money rules, end of the story, there is no way a football club can break in to the top 4 and stay there without money.

For a club like ours every penny counts and if the best deal finacially for the club is a move to Kirby, then I am all for it.

Nostaligia should be a long way down the line when it comes influencing desisions that impact on the future of the club.

Yes, in an ideal world, we would just change the site of Goodison to a state of the art stadium - but it's not going to happen. Lets move on.

I am very happy that we are currently involved in a dynamic company like Tesco's - This company area a doing company - they walk the walk as well as talk the talk. If they are involved the stadium will be up in record time.

well said rob. just goes to show there are true everton fans who feel it would be a good move, just incase anybody comes back and say's im this and that i agree in an ideal world we would stay at Goodison but thats not going to happen

Iv made my feeling clear in another thread on this subject, but basically I was dead against it and now I have had time to reflect I say Lets go for it.

It seems the only sensible solution

1. The club want it

2. We have backerss who want it

3. Kirkby want us

4. All the add-ons to the whole project will only benefit us and provide continuos revenue

5. We need to shake this monkey (RS) off our back and look to the future.

6. Fuck LCC and all the staying in the city bollocks because we were here first, its small minded and pointless

Fair points all Z, but to be called Everton and not be IN Everton to me is odd. The MK Dons have had a change of name with their change of venue (National Hockey Stadium FFS), so what do we call ourselves?.

ATB

Mac

understand ya point mac and its a fair one, if people are that arsed then why not revert back to the origanl name of St domingo just a thought......

Edited by gaz efc

well said rob. just goes to show there are true everton fans who feel it would be a good move, just incase anybody comes back and say's im this and that i agree in an ideal world we would stay at Goodison but thats not going to happen

So what you're saying is that Everton fans who don't want the move arent true Everton fans? Dont talk shit.

So what you're saying is that Everton fans who don't want the move arent true Everton fans? Dont talk shit.

Romey you have ity wrong mate if you would have read it i did say that i wasn't callin you part supporters, its just pissing me off that everyone keeps going on about history and liverpool city, its time for a change and i was just agreeing with what that kid said, can you see us staying up if we stay at Goodison for another 10 years the state its in???

Fair points all Z, but to be called Everton and not be IN Everton to me is odd. The MK Dons have had a change of name with their change of venue (National Hockey Stadium FFS), so what do we call ourselves?.

ATB

Mac

I actually remember reading that Everton have technically never played in the Everton district.

I'll try and dig out the book where I got it from...

If that is the case, it totally blows my Evertonian credentials out of the water. On my birth certificate is says District - Everton, I was born in Mill Road Maternity. The dickheads up here don't believe there is a place actually called Everton.

ATB

Mac

I got it from 'The Essential History of Everton' by Mark Platt foreword by Brian Labone (2000) Headline Book Publishing.

Page 183 -

"Never in Everton

Although St. Domingo's church was situated in the Everton district of Liverpool, Everton Football Club has never actually played in Everton. Their pioneering early days were spent in the district of Anfield and their current home, Goodison Park, is in Walton."

I got it from 'The Essential History of Everton' by Mark Platt foreword by Brian Labone (2000) Headline Book Publishing.

Page 183 -

"Never in Everton

Although St. Domingo's church was situated in the Everton district of Liverpool, Everton Football Club has never actually played in Everton. Their pioneering early days were spent in the district of Anfield and their current home, Goodison Park, is in Walton."

Good Skills

Whats in a Name anyway

Please save your arguing for the RS's in your life!

As much as it would break my heart, I am afraid that I feel that we have no realistic choice but to move in order to compete in the future. I am more concerned with ensuring that if we do move, that we get a ground that has soul, passion and atmosphere -not an out-of-town ground with no feel.

For most of the 90's and ealy parts of 2000's there was a lack of atmosphere for most of the time. However, the old place absolutely rocks these days at certain times. Commentators regularly now talk about Goodison being a very difficult place to visit because of the atmosphere - we must take that with us if we go.

However, we're never all going to agree on this. It will simply divide opinion as it cuts so much to the heart of our club. We may debate potential new signings but these players come and go and ultimately we get behind the players we do sign. But the ground is much more than that.

However, if we do move, I hope the club gets the balance right - a capacity that can allow us to compete, but would we really get 50,000 regularly? I hate seeing grounds where there are 15,000 missing.

Tricky decision - and for those that criticise Kenwright on this - would we do any better?

Oh ok, yes I think I would do better so someone give me the £170m needed to buy the club and I'll deliver us the Champions League (beating the RS 1-0 in the final with JP Kissock getting the winner!). Actually with £170m I may buy the RS and turn the f**kers into a car park!