IGNORED

American Sports Thread

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll watch most sports, even American ones, but ice hockey just doesn't do it for me. Proper hockey is OK (specially when we won Olympic Gold...and the second finest piece of commentary ever was uttered by Barry Davies, "Where were the Germans but frankly who cares?"), but you can't see the puck move on the ice...well I can't :huh: but the fighting's OK.

San Jose fan now though Joe...Go Sharks :lol: !

I'll watch most sports, even American ones, but ice hockey just doesn't do it for me. Proper hockey is OK (specially when we won Olympic Gold...and the second finest piece of commentary ever was uttered by Barry Davies, "Where were the Germans but frankly who cares?"), but you can't see the puck move on the ice...well I can't :huh: but the fighting's OK.

San Jose fan now though Joe...Go Sharks :lol: !

hahaha thats great to hear :D

I love Ice Hockey. My team has got to be the Flyers (although they're crap now :( and finished bottom of the Eastern Conference) Started playing roller hockey when I was young and Flyers was the first game I saw so just supported them, it was a while back when Eric Lindros who became my favourite player (followed closely by Recchi, both now have left the flyers) but I watched Lindors when he was on fire for the flyers rather than whats happened towards the end of his career with the flyers. Ever since have stayed up a few late night watching it. Haven't really watched it a lot this year although did watch a few of the early games. Also when I do go to America I'm most certainly going to watch them :)

I've wanted to play Ice Hockey ever since then as well but theres not many places you can do that here :(

Edited by TrueBlue

Double Extra time basically...:)

At the end of the match if the score is level they go in overtime (extratime) but with a golden goal type rule. In playoffs if its still level at the overtime it goes onto double overtime...then if its level it will go into triple overtime. Basically, it'll keep on going until somone scores.

Somethin like that anyway, sure joe will correct me if anythin of that is wrong...

Double Extra time basically...:)

At the end of the match if the score is level they go in overtime (extratime) but with a golden goal type rule. In playoffs if its still level at the overtime it goes onto double overtime...then if its level it will go into triple overtime. Basically, it'll keep on going until somone scores.

Somethin like that anyway, sure joe will correct me if anythin of that is wrong...

You got it exactly right. On Wednesday night the Dallas Vancouver match went into 4 overtimes. The match lasted 5 and half hours and the vancouver goalie made 72 saves. It was intense. It's funny a lot of Americans who don't follow football call extra time, overtime. It kills me when I hear it :(

Away game as well! Is home advantage significant in the NHL Joe...if so a cracking start!
Home advantage is definitely significant so it was good that the sharks won a game on the road. Although, I am watching the game now and we are losing 2-1 after the first period. There are three 20 minute periods in a game so hopefully we can come back to win.

The average price is around £45.00 . Kind of expensive for me since I would only wear it if I went to a game and I only get to one a year, if that. They aren't something I would want to wear around because of how odd they fit.

Im the sort of guy that wears my Everton shirts on any occasion, and because Ive got that many I wear them frequently. I just fancied a hockey jersey cos they looked cool, sumething for the winter perhaps lol, although I guess you dont get much of a winter in San jose??

Edited by Dunny the Blue

That sounds awsome!!! I quiet fancy visiting Canada. I prefer the cold conditions to warm, dont get me wrong Im not anti warm, I love abit of summer but on the whole winter is the time for me.

See that New Jersey won last night!! wooo go devils!! :devil:

Canada is definitely nice, atleast Vancouver is and they are pretty intense about their ice hockey. I do enjoy California more though. I got a chance to watch the devils game yesterday and they look good. Round 2 of the playoffs should be entertaining.

I really want to get into hockey butthe only chance I get is when its on at like 3 in the mornin. Started getting into the basketball, again, watched the Nets Beat the Bulls, I actually enjoyed although I thought I wouldnt. Think Thats me a Nets fan aswell lol.
I love basketball. It is my favorite American sport and my second favorite sport behind football. My favorite team is the Golden St. Warriors. I'm not sure if you know them or not but they are my local team and they finally made the playoffs this year after 13 years of not making it. The last time they made it was in 1994. Although they are matched up against the number 1 team in the west, Dallas, they won the other night so they are up 1-0 in the series :) . I watched that Bulls nets game as well. It must be weird having the games come on so early for you there but then again all the premiership games are on in the morning for me as well. Have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to watch us against Man Utd on Saturday.

I should just turn this thread into the American Sports thread haha

Hey Joe - add one more to the list of Sharks supporters here! :) I grew up in the Bay Area and I've been a fan since the Cow Palace days.
:D Thats great to hear. I remember going to some games at the Cow Palace as well, although it seems like a very long time ago. What city did you grow up in?

I thought golden state might have been Florida, mainly cos I thought that was the states nick name, Something to do with Oranges, guess Ive picked it up from somewhere. I heard they were doing well this season, alot of peoples favourites, same with Dallas I think, although a few have put phoenix as the outsiders. Sorry Im just spouting jibberish probably lol. I stayed up till 4 the other morning for the ice hockey, Devils won so it was worth it lol.

:D Thats great to hear. I remember going to some games at the Cow Palace as well, although it seems like a very long time ago. What city did you grow up in?

Only 15 years, but in hockey terms that's almost an eternity...it's amazing how radically the game has changed since then. My family lived in Fremont, and I still vividly remember the first game I attended live, a 1-0 loss to Philly in March of '92. How about you - where were you living at the time?

I thought golden state might have been Florida

Nope. Florida is the Sunshine State, although I always thought that would have been a better nickname for California than "golden state" anyway. I'm not sure where "golden state" came from - probably either from the gold rush in the 1850's or from the state flower (the golden poppy).

Thanks for that, quite interesting the old state nick name thing. I only know a few....

Chicago - windy city

New York - Big Apple

I dont know where I'm going with this lol, considerin the thread is American sports!! lol And i've just relised Chicago is only a city!!

Edited by Dunny the Blue

Thanks for that, quite interesting the old state nick name thing. I only know a few....

Chicago - windy city

New York - Big Apple

I dont know where I'm going with this lol, considerin the thread is American sports!! lol And i've just relised Chicago is only a city!!

Great Britain - The 52nd state :blink::mellow:

Only 15 years, but in hockey terms that's almost an eternity...it's amazing how radically the game has changed since then. My family lived in Fremont, and I still vividly remember the first game I attended live, a 1-0 loss to Philly in March of '92. How about you - where were you living at the time?

Nope. Florida is the Sunshine State, although I always thought that would have been a better nickname for California than "golden state" anyway. I'm not sure where "golden state" came from - probably either from the gold rush in the 1850's or from the state flower (the golden poppy).

I was living in San Jose. I grew up there and all my family lives there. I still live there when I am not away at university.

Edit: Great win for SJ tonight in game 1 against Detroit.

Edited by Joe