IGNORED

Happy St Georges Day

Zed

lol typical isnt it. english national day and it rains.

anyway i found out yesterday the english connection to st george. according to a book at work

st george never actually set foot in england (he was from the ottoman empire) however he appeared in a vision to high ranking nobels in the english army during the first crusade. st george allegedly led the scattered armies of england in order to regroup (as the saracens had attacked the army badly). when the army had regrouped the attacked the palestinians with the flag of st george and became the flag of the army after that battle. the chapel in london which at the time was dedicated the late edward the confesser was named the chapel of st george in his honour. therefore st george became the patron saint of england.

it is st. georges day wow i never knew

y do irish scotish and welsh get the day of work for theres and have a big piss up all we get is pissed on lol

Only catholic countries celebrate, we dont nor the scots

Also, as far as the origins of st george go, dont believe everything you read

I was recently in Genoa and their flag is, guess.... The St george cross

The guide explained that st george is the genoan saint and was adopted by the british during the crusades to protect the naval fleet as the genoans were very powerful. I asked her why the Italians deceided to change their flag to a white cross on a white background :blink:

Im sure there are other therories and myths and ideas, just lettting you know what the guide told me

Likewise, I moan all year that the goverment say it's to jingelistic to celebrate St. Georges Day, then when it comes I don't even realise it's here :blush02:

Sorry to be a nazi, I think your refering to "jingoism" havent heard that word for years

Well I celebrated it, even missed a few lectures to go on a celebratory drinking session.

I actually wrote a little article about St Patricks day and basically said it's a sad state of affairs when "everyone has Irish roots similar to those of Tony Cascarino" end up celebrating St Patricks day. I also mentioned that it was a sad state of affairs when English people celebrate an Irish saint more than an English one and that most English people know when St Paddy’s day is but not St George’s day.

I'm not passing judgement on those who forgot or didn't know it was yesterday as I feel the blame lies entirely with the Government for not promoting it enough, but St Paddy’s day is only so popular now 'cos Guinness were clever enough to turn it into a load of commercial crap but then that gets its the best profits. However, the Government needs to do something as England is the only country I know where patriotism is frowned upon and the only one that seems not to have a national identity.

Also, I think Al Murray is one of a few celebs trying to make St Georges day a national holiday :)

Well I celebrated it, even missed a few lectures to go on a celebratory drinking session.

I actually wrote a little article about St Patricks day and basically said it's a sad state of affairs when "everyone has Irish roots similar to those of Tony Cascarino" end up celebrating St Patricks day. I also mentioned that it was a sad state of affairs when English people celebrate an Irish saint more than an English one and that most English people know when St Paddy’s day is but not St George’s day.

I'm not passing judgement on those who forgot or didn't know it was yesterday as I feel the blame lies entirely with the Government for not promoting it enough, but St Paddy’s day is only so popular now 'cos Guinness were clever enough to turn it into a load of commercial crap but then that gets its the best profits. However, the Government needs to do something as England is the only country I know where patriotism is frowned upon and the only one that seems not to have a national identity.

Also, I think Al Murray is one of a few celebs trying to make St Georges day a national holiday :)

I with you all the way