IGNORED

Joey Barton

Manchester City have suspended Joey Barton for the rest of the season after he hit team-mate Ousmane Dabo in training, BBC Sport understands.

Dabo had to go to hospital after sustaining injuries to his mouth during the incident at Carrington on Tuesday.

Barton's agent, Willie McKay, played down the incident.

He told BBC Sport: "As far as I've heard, Joey was defending himself. But because it is Joey Barton it makes headlines."

McKay added: "It happens on training grounds all over the country, from Chelsea to Yeovil."

City are currently refusing to confirm the identity of the player who has been suspended.

A club statement read: "We can confirm that a player has been suspended pending an internal investigation."

Midfielder Barton, 24, won his first England cap in the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford in February.

This is the bloke half of the people on this site want to play for Everton. Great idea...it'll really help the mood in the dressing room.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. im sorry enough is enough im one of bartons biggest fans on the pitch but im getting tired of sayin ow he will be ok. i dont think he will, he is just a twat. il take a player with a level head thanks
You never know maybe Moyes will be able to control him. I do think this is a good sign that he will leave Man City and we would be one of the top destinations for him. I love his ability on the pitch and for that sole reason I'd be willing to take him on. Unfortunately I think it will take a lot to control his anger/ aggression off the pitch.

enoughs enough, we have had one thug at our club, all be it big dunc didnt hit his team mates but still disappointed when he did do what he did badly. sadly barton has just left my wish list after winnign his way back on.

Yeah cos Roy Kean never slapped anyone in training who wasnt pulling their weight did he!

What's that got to do with it? And how does the fact that he's punched a team-mate make a stronger case for signing him?

Latest in a long line of stupidity. You don't need to be a thug to prove you're committed. This is always going to polarise opinion so I'll say no more.

I just think he's fustrated playing for a shite team and for a manager who's proving his inexperience this term. They play players out of position, couldnt buy a goal & have overseas players who clearly dont give a shit for the plight of one of Englands fine footballing establishments.

Joey Barton has alot of growing up to do, his temper is a joke and he digs himself into holes he finds it hard to get out of but lets not forget he stood up the other day and told the rest of the pricks playing around him to grow a set and have a bit of pride and thats where this latest incident has stemed from.

I'll hold my hands up if this turns out to be him acting a wanker but I would bet on it being a case of him trying to kick some life into a lazy waste of space who's in turn kicked off and they've gone at eachother!!

I said it before and I'll repeat it now, Roy Kean, slapping players in the dressing room, training pitch & mid match, fighting with the manager, intentionally hurting people on the pitch & the odd police charge off it went hand in hand and he was one of the best midfielders around for a long long time. He's now proving to be one of the best young managers around also, is the fire that drives Kean so dis similar to that of Barton???

Just an opinion and I know it goes against many but I'v said my piece!

I will take the up the colours on this one Mike.

NO FUCKING WAY

Liam, I know you like players with a bit of fire in their belly, but this lad is beyond the pale, too much fire and not enough ability to make up for the down side, Keane, Cantona, Pearce

all had other attributes which you could overlook, he is 24 with a mouth and attitude that are beyond his age and maturity level.

Mentioned elsewhere in this thread, "maybe Moyes can tame him", give me a fucking break - if he didn't behave for Psycho what chance does Mild Moyes stand?.

ATB

Mac

I want Barton as well. There is a lot more talent here on Everton that he will be surrounded by. He has already proven to be a quality player and the price seems very reasonable. I am a little worried about how he will get along with the team. I would hope he would want to start off fresh where ever he goes. He brings a lot of passion on the pitch which is something we have lacked from some players this year. Again it all will come down to how he is as a teammate but that is something we won't know until he arrives. I'd be willing to take him on but I can also understand why some people wouldn't want to.

For me he's a no go, fire in the belly is one thing, openly critising your players then getting in a fight with them is one thing, I dont want him anywhere neer the club, I wouldnt care if he was a world class midfielder (which he's fucking not!) he's off field anticts sum him up perfectly, twat!

From Sky Sports News........

Ousmane Dabo says he has been left looking like the 'Elephant Man' after being attacked by Joey Barton.

The Manchester City midfielders squared up in training on Tuesday, with Dabo taken to hospital after being punched repeatedly by Barton.

The England cap has been suspended by City until the end of the season, with Dabo explaining how the bust-up came about.

"I just pushed him away and turned my back to walk off," Dabo told The Sun. "That's when he hit me.

"I really don't remember exactly what happened, but I've been told by all my team-mates he hit me from behind, a right hook which hit me on the temple and knocked me out for a few seconds.

"As I started to fall he jumped on top of me, held my head and punched me twice more in the face.

"Apparently when I was on the floor he again punched me before being pulled off.

"When I came round, and it can only have been a matter of seconds, there was blood everywhere.

"I was spitting blood and my eye was clouded over when I realised what had happened. I wanted to go after him."

After receiving hospital treatment for his injuries, Dabo said: "When I woke up this morning I looked at myself in the mirror with my face all swollen up and I looked like the Elephant Man.

"I've never known anything like this before in my career."

Fire in the belly or just a plain thug????

Thats not exactly the version I heard & it was an open training day so there were lots of fans watching!!

Just done a quick scan of Man City forums and the concensus (including reports from people who were there) is that the Sky report is spot on.

probably not the best way to get your team moving, but im with liam on this one. he isnt the first player to be like this, he wont be the last. but i think we would have a few more points on the board if we had barton, the moments towards the end of the game when we throw it away, the games when we need someone to grab hold of his players and ask them where the fuck have the been for the whole game.

If thats true events then not only do I want him as far away from the club as possible but also a possible Jail sentence, I hate banging on about this but the defender from Barrow got sent down for hitting someone in a game, training ground or not it sounds like disgusting behavier. If found true he will never wear an England shirt again, unless he buys one!!!!

I still want Moyes to bring him to the club - but afer his latest exploits I think Moyes may be less inclinded to buy him.

As a player, I think he is just what we need to take over Carsley's role. No disrespect to Carsley, but he will be the first to admit his playing career is coming to and end. I am a massive Carsley fan and his position is not easy to fill. He is the true unsung hero of our team over the last 3 years. Barton is the player who can take over his role, with the added benefit of being a very good passer of the ball. So I think Barton can take Carsleys position and improve upon it. This type of signing is what is needed to move the team on.

I don't think anybody is in doubt that Barton as a player would be welcome at the club. The biggest issue by far is his attitude and thuggery.

Nowever, the history of the game is scattered with players who have a mean edge to them, and to a certain degree this mean edge is what helps them to be the player they are. Right or wrong. The game is scattered with the cliche -'you take that out of his game, and he is only half the player'.

All things being equal, I would much prefer Barton to be the model proffessional both on and off the pitch, but he's not - So part of what makes him a good player, makes him a not so great person.

I don't have any problem with him being out spoken about things - the England players books, Man City playing rubbish and his team members not putting the required effort in. If anything I applaude him on that front, he's not in owe of your Gerrards and Lamapards etc - so to me that is a positive in his character. Over the years I wish some of our player over the past 15 years had a bit more about them.

Now comes to his latest incident - giving a fellow team mate a proper hiding. Whichever way you look at it, it was out of order, and if he gets hauled up before a magistrate then so be it, or evern has to do a 3 month stint in jail then he may well deserve it. Wrong as it may be, but that fight was boune out of frustration with the lack of effort by some of his team mates. Being around lazy arsed footballers who may only be at Man City for the money, has obviousely wound him up to the point at which he has snapped.

I am pretty sure the Everton squad is not made up of players of the same ilke as those surrounding Barton at Man City - I think Moyes has a squad full of hard working proffessionals that put in a shift both in training and on the pitch, a squad that will suit Joey Barton.

A certain big Dun joined Everton just after been given a jail sentance for head butting somebody - Now I have never been a huge Big Dun fan, either as a footballer or as a thug, but one think is for sure he is now a Goodison legend for a generation of fans, although in my eyes for the wrong reason.

I would much rather have a decent law abiding chap than a thug, but even more so I would rather have a decent player with passion who improves the team and makes Everton a more competative, than a money grabbing player who wants to join the club who offer the biggest wage packet or the easeist route to playing CL football or winning medals.

Joey Barton will be bought as a football player not as a public relations officer.

The question is can Moyes and the Everton squads ethos be a place were Barton matures or flurishes to become another Goodison legend or will he continue to rid the slipper slope to obscure infamy.

There is only one way to find out - and that is to take the bull buy the horns and bring him to the club and see how it all works out- Fortunately he has a £5.5M buy out clause - so he IS value for money and within our budget. If it didn't work out in the next couple of years at only 24 years old, you will always get you money back should we have to sell him on, as there are always clubs who will take on a good player warts and all.

One thing I am sure of is that he wouldn't lets us down on the pitch!!!, because of all the crap surrounding the lad he has been city's best player by a country mile.

We have to take the chance in my opinion.

They always include Clauses in any contract these days so there are ways of making sure we dont lose out.

One way would be to pay on the Never never, 1 million every season while he keeps his nose Clean, if he doesnt he goes back.

On a season loan with a view to a permanent deal would be another way, to see how he gets on with the Squad and how he behaves.

Think all clubs will be looking at Clauses, cos i cant see a club parting with 5 million quid if he's going to carry on like he is.

But they will still want him at City, suspending him for the rest of the Season is all about getting him away from the Media , :o two games thats all, but then the seasons over, I bet he's already gone on holiday so he will be away for 3 months break and report back to training as per usual.

Depends if he wants to Stay or Move, I THOUGHT HE DECIDED TO STAY LAST YEAR AND SIGNED AN EXTENDED CONTRACT.

I may be wrong.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...cue_barton.html

Quite interesting what a occupational Psychologist has to say on the matter of his temper.

Anybody else in toffee talk land qualified to make a better assessment of his attitude?

Dont think he's saying anything that 50% of us already new, is he. ???

To be honest i cant see City letting him go, they'll never get another player as good for £5.5m. While he continues to deliver on the pitch, they'll put up with the Tantrums because they need him.