IGNORED

George Thomson

Was wondering if anyone can tell me what happened to ex-Toffee George Thomson signed along with Alex Young from Hearts in the early '60's. I know he went to Brentford FC but it is what happen to him after that I am interested in

I know that he was staying in the Stockport area in 2000 and think he may have died a couple of years ago. Can anyone help ?

Cheers MJ

Edited by mikejambo

Sorry.. I can't help you out there. I don't think he is dead though. I've just googled his name and found this:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players...msongeorge.html

It's a shame what's currently happening to the Jambos - Vladimir Romanov is clearly insane. It's a similar to the situation Torquay were in, their chairman wanted to bring in a lot of Polish players on cheaper wages but realised that the players were not very good for his target wage bracket.

I think that in the future the SPL should somehow vet those intend to buy into a football club.

Sorry.. I can't help you out there. I don't think he is dead though. I've just googled his name and found this:

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players...msongeorge.html

It's a shame what's currently happening to the Jambos - Vladimir Romanov is clearly insane. It's a similar to the situation Torquay were in, their chairman wanted to bring in a lot of Polish players on cheaper wages but realised that the players were not very good for his target wage bracket.

I think that in the future the SPL should somehow vet those intend to buy into a football club.

Thanks Louis. London Hearts are good but don't hold all the answers sadly. George is a bit of an enigma. I have talked to few of his former team mates up here and they have told me a few tales about him when he was at Hearts. Some say he is dead and some say he is still alive living in Wrexham/Stockport/Spain take your pick. Safe to say he was a 'bit of a lad' all his years and that is why I would like to know what happened to him.

As for the current set up at Tynecastle I just don't know. We had a great chance to win the league last year but Mad Vlad decided he knew better than George Burley (mind you looking at Southamptons results this season he may have a point) and all we ended up with was the cup when it could have been better. Saying that we couldn't have done it without his money as the Old Squirm dominate the game up here cash wise. But in the end you need a good manager that can use his influence on the team we don't have that because Vlad the Impaler thinks he is both a business man and a football manager he may be one one of those but he certainly isn't the other !! :angry:

• 7 years later...

Strangely after all these years I've just had a question/possible information through on this guy via a TT "Contact Form". Unlikely anyone will be able to add anything (Johnh maybe?) but I thought I'd pass it on.

"Just read on your site a question in 2007 asking about the whereabouts of an Everton player from the early 1960's - George Thomson.
In Alex Young's Autobiography co authored by David France, Alex said that the last he heard of George Thomson was that he had died in Preston Prison where he was serving life for Murder!
I have attempted, with my limited contacts, to verify this fact, with no luck. After writing to David Prentice of the Echo, he confirmed the books contents, but could not, even after searching the Echo's Archives, confirm it. If you choose to ask your members by publishing my note, I'd look forward to their comments and/confirmation.
Blue John - Liverpool - but a Lifelong True Blue"

• 6 months later...

Have just come across this discussion and can tell you George did not die in Preston prison, he has however passed away after a short battle with cancer a number of years ago.

My family knew George for a very long time and whilst yes, some rumours about him may well be true (- not the murdering bit !!!) I can honestly say he was a lovely man,a very private man and a perfect gentleman.

I still do often think about him and have recently been looking him up on google- hence coming across your chat. I am really glad to see that there are people still out there that remember him too. Thank you .

RIP "Uncle George " xx

Edited by liverpoolaway