IGNORED

As Of The 1st Of July

Louis

I want to remind everyone that they are not allowed to smoke whilst browsing ToffeeTalk from the 1st of July. :P

Rules are rules.

I do wonder how the government are going to make up the income that ciggies and cigars bring in if people are not able to get through as many due to restrictions of where they can smoke, ultimately it could mean even less funding for the NHS. As the mansun song being a girl says 'tax on cigarettes cures my cancer'.

To be honest I don't think it's a good idea. I'm not a smoker myself but am from a family where only me and my dad don't smoke. I know for a fact that these new rules, which aim to force people to quit, are not going to make anyone of my family stop. Obviously, it would be nice for people to quit but think this is going to cause more trouble than it's worth. As Louis says, the Government pretty much live off people paying stupidly high taxes on ciggies so it seems they're shootin themselves in the foot with this one.

I fear, as people smoke less and less, the Government will put the taxes up on alcohol to stop the 'binge drinking culture' when in fact it's just a smoke screen (pun not intended) to get the money back from the loss of funding through people smoking.

Yeah its a sore point with me.

when i started smoking 50 odd years ago a pack of ciggies was 12 old pence, Beer was 8 pence for Mild and 9 pence for Bitter, and a gallon of Petrol was about the same 2 STAR or 3 STAR.

We had a good National Health Service, Plenty of Hospitals filled with Doctors and Nurses, and you didnt have to wait Nine months for an operation.

Successive governments soon realised that an easy way of getting money in their funds was to increase taxes on all these most commonly used commodities, and the Country has gone steadily downhill ever since.

But my grievance is that if all these commodities had increased at the same rate, beer would now cost as much as fags and petrol, so the Drinking fraternity have got off pretty lightly so far, cos every time a budget comes around the cigs go up 20 pence a packet, but the beer only goes up 2 or 3 pence, Maybe all these government peeps are all alcoholics.

But like you say fags go up and more people stop smoking, so the peeps in charge put more tax on fags to recuperate the lost revenue, its a vicious circle but i think the drinkers are pretty safe for the time being, cos there's a lot more life left in the smokers yet before we go completely. :)

Bill. (just lighting my 20th fag of the day).

It's funny, in New Ferry they tried to open a brothel but it was not allowed to open because it was too close to a primary school. No one batted an eyelid other than that. I can see the P word being legalised in the next 5years.

good point mac.

anyway as far as the smoking ban is concerned. i go to pubs all the time and i hate coming home having to wash my clothes to get rid of the smell. now i go with the band and im the only one who doesnt smoke. and they said they will give up after the ban. so in my eyes i think its a good idea.

thats just my opinion of course

i hate the idea i go the pub once a week to drink with mates and my gf and that is the only time i ever smoke because im drunk :) i like smoking in the pub watching football and eating nuts with my pint. Next there gonna say u cant drink more than they say.

is all very well banning smoking and yes your clothes wont stink of smoke anymore, but I was in Dublin last weekend (where the ban has been in place for a year or more) and walking into the 1st pub thing that hit me was the stench of BO and beer. put me right off my guinesss...give me smoke anyday

is all very well banning smoking and yes your clothes wont stink of smoke anymore, but I was in Dublin last weekend (where the ban has been in place for a year or more) and walking into the 1st pub thing that hit me was the stench of BO and beer. put me right off my guinesss...give me smoke anyday

Maybe you were just in a fucking smelly arse pub

I think it can only be a good thing

I already feel like a fooking Pariha every time I light up

Unfortunately the Smokers have been castrated from the rest of the human race and are now the lowest of the low, if we had Aids or Leprosy, we would be received with more Warmth and understanding.

I'm now wondering what is going to be the next target for the Do-gooders and Soapbox Preachers to demand we cannot do.

As if there was'nt more important things to Kick up about, than some fookers wanting a smoke.

Why does everbody want to change the World, ? its looked after itself for millions of years and it will still be here millions of years after they've gone, so you would think for the short time they are here, they would live it just as it is.

LEAVE US ALONE TO LIVE OUR LIVES THE WAY WE WANT TO, NOT HOW YOU THINK WE SHOULD.

Bill.

I stopped drinking on 15th Feb 1994.

I stopped smoking on 11th June 2001.

I weigh the same (11 stone) as I did when I was seventeen.

I stopped having sex on 13th May 2007 (temporarily B) ).

I think that everyone in the world should be as clean living and healthy as me. The rest of you are dirty leaches sponging off the NHS.

What me? Jealous?!? Never :unsure: .

Edited by MikeO

I stopped drinking on 15th Feb 1994.

I stopped smoking on 11th June 2001.

I weigh the same (11 stone) as I did when I was seventeen.

I stopped having sex on 13th May 2007 (temporarily B) ).

I think that everyone in the world should be as clean living and healthy as me. The rest of you are dirty leaches sponging off the NHS.

What me? Jealous?!? Never :unsure: .

i do all them :) an 18 and weight bout 11 stone

but i only smoke when i am out drinking lol

Edited by Foxon

Ive smoked, drank, had sex, and eaten whatever i wanted for the past 50yrs, and i weigh 6 pounds more now than i did when i came out the army, I3 stone now as opposed to 12.5 stone 42 years ago, i'm 6ft 2inches tall, keep myself fairly fit, and have still got all my faculties. ........ not bad for an owl arse. :D

Bloody hell Licker you'll out live us all!!! :D

The way I see it with smoking, no offence intended Licker, but with you being older it would probably cause you more damage if you stopped. My dads of a similar age, 60 and he's cut down alot recently and all he seems to cough more, presumably cos of all the shit dissetling from your lungs?

Edited by Dunny the Blue

i drink

i dont smoke (unless really plastered)

i wieght 8 and half stone

but im only 17 :)

8 and a half stone u better watch the weather u will blow away lol

im 6ft 2 drink all the time goin the pub in a min with my mate lol smoke when i drink which i am going to do in a min lol i eat wot eva i want when i want lol and i love life

what the point in dieting if ur only like 12 - 13 stone that is normal for our height

He has to be thin so his pants drop off his arse so he can have his EMO belt hold them up around his thighs. ;)

correct lol.

im actually not as skinny as you may think!

yer im abit on the no fat side but still got abit, i just eat laods and never put weight on :)

bet you fat fuckers where like me :P

Dont worry about it mate, in thirty years time you'll still have your figure and all your fat mates will be dying of heart attacks.

I was skinny when i was at school and being tall made it worse, but today I've still got a decent shape and i'm still here, but lots of my schoolmates are wearing wooden overcoats and have long gone.

You are what you are, but be gratefull that your shape will be easier to keep fit, and will keep you living longer. ;)

I was skinny when i was at school and being tall made it worse

Me also Bill...had long hair as well (very similar in style to yours Alex, only longer) which made me look like an upside down mop :huh: . Very self conscious, specially when I was on the "skins" team in games at school....but it certainly works for you in the long run.