IGNORED

Uefa Cup

Actually, all three of the Bucharest triplets (Dinamo, Rapid, and Steaua) were in the first round of the UEFA Cup that year (and all three advanced to the group stages too), so technically what I said was true - they would be joining us "in the first round" again. But obviously that wasn't what I meant, and you're right. Rapid beat Feyenoord in the first round, not us. Too many teams from Bucharest, they're almost as bad as teams from Moscow for getting all jumbled up in my head. :rolleyes:

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High drama in France today. Lens and Bordeaux both lose, and Rennes gives up a game-tying goal to Lille at the death, which allows Toulouse to jump from 6th all the way to 3rd and steal the last Champions' League spot. Toulouse finishes the season with 58 points, Lens, Bordeaux, Rennes, and Sochaux all finish tied for fourth with 57 points.

Rennes would've finished third on 59 points and taken the UCL spot if they hadn't conceded that goal, but they still go to the UEFA Cup on GD, and so do Bordeaux and Sochaux as France's two Cup winners this year. Lens, who started the day in third, is stuck with the Intertoto Cup.

I bet there will probably be some controversy after the fact, because the Toulouse-Nantes match was abandoned last weekend with the score still 0-0 when the Nantes fans invaded the pitch, and on Thursday the French professional league elected to declare it a forfeit by Nantes and award Toulouse all three points instead of just one. Without those two extra points, Rennes goes to the UCL despite the draw and Lens goes to the UEFA Cup, and Toulouse either goes to the Intertoto Cup or goes home.

Good grief that's amazing....vaguely following what was going on because my brother lives just outside Toulouse so a game against them would be ideal for me but they've been on a very poor run recently and I thought they'd blown all chance except maybe Intertoto. Saw they went 1-0 down at home to Bordeuax today so gave up on it.

The league table I have still has them finishing seventh though (LINK), obviously the extra two points not added...is it confirmed?

The BBC has Toulouse in third though (LINK)....good stuff!

Edited by MikeO

Good grief, just read this as a comment on the official site...

VIRTUALLY ASSURED OF SEEDING After this weekend's European games/Cup Finals the latest sit rep on Everton and the UEFA Cup as follows: 18th (or 19th) of 32 automatic qualifiers - dependent on the Czech Cup Final. 18th or 19th A further (possible) 5 or 6 qualifiers from the UEFA Cup Qualifiers may outrank Everton 23rd (or better/lower) to 25th Intertoto - a further (possible) 4 or 5 may qualify for the UEFA Cup Blackburn Rovers RC Lens or the possible Ukraine Qualifier (who would meet each other) Hamburger SV or possible Swiss Qualifier (who would meet each other) Maccabi Haifa or possibly the Spanish Qualifier (who would meet each other) Czech Republic (if Slavia Praha become their entry) The lowest Everton's Ranking could possible drop BEFORE taking into account the Champions League 3rd QR losers is therefore 27th (or lower) to 30th Remainder from Champions League 3rd Qualifying Rd - a further 6 (or 7) potentially could QUALIFY and then lose to seeded teams - some "seeded" teams could lose as well. The draw for the CL 3rd Rd will be (and note some tasty opps for LFC perhaps): Seeded: LFC Arsenal CL3-4 Esp Benfica Ajax Werder Bremen Celtic Steaua Bucuresti ** Lazio Roma Glasgow Rangers ** Shakhtar Donetsk (**) Besiktas ** Anderlecht CL3-4 Esp Dinamo Kiev (**) Levski Sofia ** Unseeded: Sparta Praha ** Fenerbahçe AEK Athens Dinamo Bucuresti Rosenborg BK ** Spartak Moscow Red Star Belgrade ** Toulouse FC FC København ** Dinamo Zagreb * Racing Genk ** CL1-2 (**) Cze DVSC Debrecen ** FC Zürich FC Salzburg ** APOEL Nicosia * * and ** seeded to progress from Rds 1 and 2 (or the team that replaces them will inherit that seeding for the 3rd round draw ONLY but not subsequently for the UEFA Cup) The six teams in bold are ranked above Everton and projected to lose to the seeded teams in the CL3rd The assumption is that these 6 will lose, dropping Everton's rank to 33rd (or better) to 36th (worst) Therefore - the only way Everton would not be seeded would be - all of the above possible events happening and 5 further SEEDED teams in the Champions League 3rd Rd losing BUT NOT TO any of the aforementioned higher ranking unseeded teams - so it's VIRTUALLY CERTAIN WE WILL BE SEEDED

Hope that's clear then :o .

Lemme try to simplify that a little.

In the comprehensive European-wide club rankings, Everton's point total puts them right about #100 on the list. However, half the teams ahead of us can be thrown out right away: either they are already qualified for the Champions' League group stages, or they did not qualify for European football at all this year.

That leaves about 52-53 teams who could POTENTIALLY end up in the UEFA Cup first round who have more points than we do - but not all of them will make it. 17-18 of them will for certain because they've locked up spots in the first round field like we have, but the other 35 or so are going to be involved in CL qualifying, Intertoto qualifying, and the earlier qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup that we're skipping. Some of them will be eliminated early, some of them (as that article noted) will probably eliminate each other, and some will qualify for the Champions League and avoid the UEFA Cup entirely.

The bottom line is that it isn't mathematically impossible for us to get bumped into the bottom half of the first round bracket, but it is extremely unlikely.

Once all the fields are set, I'll post the complete list of the 50-odd teams ahead of us in line and what competitions they are in.

:o looks like villareal could be heading into europe

bring them on please! i want the rematch we would kill them this time round :devil:

Actually they're almost definitely bound for Europe one way or another. They're in 7th right now, which is the Intertoto Cup slot, but only two points out of fifth. They're too far back to make the Champions League, but the only team behind them that could keep them from getting an Intertoto bid at the very minimum is Recreativo Huelva, the 9th place team. But RH is six points back with two to play, so they'd have to win both of their remaining games and Villareal would have to lose both of theirs for Villareal to get knocked out. Getafe in 8th is irrelevant. They've already secured a UEFA Cup spot simply by virtue of making it to Spain's FA Cup final, so where they finish won't affect Villareal one way or the other.

That said, Spain got probably the toughest draw in the Intertoto Cup of any country that gets a bye to the last round. Based on how the ping pong balls shook out, Spain's qualifier gets the survivor of the Israel/Romania/Montenegro bracket. That means that while that while teams like Sampdoria, Lens, and Blackburn get to feast on overmatched opponents in their Intertoto games, it's probably 99% certain that Villareal (or whoever gets that slot from Spain) will end up playing Maccabi Haifa, who has more European qualifying points than half the teams in La Liga.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Intertoto Cup play is now finished, with 11 teams advancing to the second Qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. The advancing teams are:

Lens

Blackburn

Hamburg

Sampdoria

Atletico Madrid

Uniao de Leiria (Portugal)

Otelul Galati (Romania)

Rapid Vienna

Aalborg (Denmark)

Hammarby (Sweden)

Tobol Kustanai (Kazakhstan)

The first five of those have more European qualifying points than we do - while we're still in excellent shape for getting a seeded spot in the first round (and avoiding an unwelcome early meeting with Bayern or Villareal), it would help if one or two of those five teams would lose in this next qualifying round. Atletico Madrid almost did us that favor in the Intertoto - they needed the away goals rule to knock out some Romanian team that I'd never heard of before.

ETA: Oh, and Partizan Belgrade (who also had more European points than us) just got thrown out of this year's UEFA Cup and banned from Europe for the next two years because of crowd trouble in their Qualifying Round 1 match. Apparently they've had fan incidents in something like 25 of their last 31 European matches, and UEFA had finally had enough - it's gotten so bad, in fact, that the club isn't even planning to appeal the decision.

Edited by JD in DC

• 2 weeks later...

I no this sounds bad coming from a Everton fan but i want Liverpool to go trough the group stages. You may think it sounds glory hunterish but if Liverpool lose to Tolouse or get third in the Group stage they will go to the UEFA Cup and possibly win it and its more chance for silverwear and they may stop Everton from possibly winning it which we dont want :mad: