IGNORED

Worst Behaved Fans In Europe

Just heard on SSN that UEFA have branded RS fans the worst behaved in Europe.

Not heard all the details yet and what they are basing it on but it's not really a surprise considering the trouble that there seems to be every time they play a big game abroad.

Obviously it be someone else's fault though, Greek/Belgian/South Yorkshire policing tactics probably.

Liverpool football fans have been branded the worst behaved in Europe in a report compiled by undercover police.

European football's governing body, Uefa, will hand a report to the sports minister Richard Caborn later this week, which studies the behaviour of supporters across Europe over the last four years.

The report comes days after Liverpool fans were involved in altercations outside the Olympic Stadium in Athens in the build-up to the European Cup final.

Some supporters managed to get in with forged tickets and others with no ticket at all, while some with genuine tickets were denied entry.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said: "The incidents involving Liverpool fans have been well known to us before the trouble at the Champions League final which involved Liverpool fans last week.

"That was just the latest example. What other set of fans steal tickets from their fellow supporters or out of the hands of children? We know what happened in Athens, and Liverpool fans were the cause of most of the trouble there."

In Athens, Liverpool supporters accused the police of using heavy-handed tactics, but Gaillard insists it was not an isolated incident.

He added: "There have been 25 incidents involving Liverpool fans away from home since 2003 and these are in the report, most teams' supporters do not cause any trouble at all."

Liverpool have submitted their own report to Uefa, which criticises security arrangements

Edited by MikeO

UEFA smear campaign

Posted by Tony Barrett on June 3, 2007 4:04 PM | Permalink

So it's official then, Liverpool fans are the worst in all of Europe.

Worse than the Italian fans who left the wife of a police officer widowed.

Worse than the French fans who held an anti-semitic rally which turned violent and resulted in the death of an officer from the Gendarmerie.

Worse than the Inter Milan fans who on one occasion launched a scooter from an upper tier of the San Siro and on another caused a Champions League quarter final match to be abandoned by hurling flares on to the pitch.

Worse than the Man United fans who clashed with riot police in Rome.

That's right, in the past four years Liverpool fans have been on the rampage across Europe and have caused more death and destruction than any of these incidents.

Except, of course, they haven't. Only in UEFA's (and the News of the World's) eyes has their behaviour been the worst in the whole continent.

Now what would make UEFA contradict everything we know to be true to come out with such an outlandish and unfounded slur?

Let me think........

Could it perhaps me that they're trying desperately to whitewash what really happened in Athens prior to the European Cup final and their own shambolic organisation?

Far be it from me to suggest it but that is what it seems like.

Apparently, they have a dossier of "25 incidents" over the last four years to prove their point but unless they can come up with incidents where the behaviour of Liverpool supporters is anywhere near as bad as those listed above then I'm afraid their dossier will be shown up to be exactly what it is - a desperately cheap shot in their increasingly nasty smear campaign.

And when their best examples of this apparently disgraceful behaviour come down to a few flags being nicked from the Olympic stadium and tickets being snatched from kids then we really are into the realms of the ridiculous.

Those who snatched tickets before the final have been condemned on this blog and by the majority of Liverpool fans. But are those who did it really worse than those who killed a police officer in Italy? Do me a favour.

What worries me most is if the roles had been reversed and Liverpool fans (or any other English fans for that matter) had killed an officer of the law then we would now be banned from Europe.

That's the way UEFA have operated for years. English fans cause trouble and they're condemned and hit with the most severe sanctions. Italian or Turkish fans cause trouble - and over a long period of time - and they're hit with petty fines.

My second big worry is while UEFA are rewriting history, no-one from Liverpool Football Club has spoken out on favour of the fans.

Now I know it's the closed season and I know everyone's entitled to a holiday but in the age of the internet and mobile phones surely it's not beyond the call of duty for some high ranking LFC official to come out in our defence.

Even from a corporate point of view - and we all know that's the one that matters most in the modern game - the Liverpool "brand" is taking a hiding.

In the absence of anything from the club, every news operation in the country is dining out on UEFA's smears. Sky Sports News - a close relative of the News of the World - keeps on running that same 15 second ****** of footage from Athens which shows about three lads bunking in as if it provides concrete evidence of what UEFA is claiming.

If Liverpool say nothing then UEFA's version of history will become the accepted version of events and it will be used against the club and its fans for evermore. Surely that provides enough motivation to provoke a response. If not, then are we to believe that Liverpool share UEFA's views of the fans?

The ironic thing is, or maybe it's not ironic when you inhabit UEFA's world of double standards, just two years ago we were being praised as Europe's finest fans in the world during the post-Istanbul glow.

That was despite the fact that this damning dossier was by then two years old and we were, as it transpires, well on our way to being named as Europe's worst.

Another irony is that just before the final our friend William Galliard was telling anyone who would listen that there would be no trouble in Athens because there was no recent history of problems involving fans of either Liverpool or Milan.

Now he's got us down as the biggest gang of rapists and pillagers since the Vikings took Europe by storm.

Could it possibly be that now he's rewriting history to cover his own ****?

All these 25 incidents that have got the Liverpool fans marked down as Europe's worst happened before the final in Athens.

So if they are so bad why wasn't this reflected in the organisation and the security for the game.

If you were told that there'd been 25 burglaries in your street then would you leave the front door wide open and turn the alarm off?

And if you did would your insurance company not laugh in your face when you told them you'd been broken into?

UEFA are having it all ways. They're now saying Liverpool fans are the worst in Europe but nothing they said or did in the lead up to the final suggested they believed this then.

The only thing that's changed since is their organisation has been shown up to be a sham and they want the spotlight pointed in another direction.

It's no surprise that they've pointed it at us because they see us as their get out of jail free card and unless someone from Liverpool FC comes out in defence of their fans then they will succeed in getting away with it.

In the words of the immortal Shaggy... it wasn't me.

never thought id come down on the side of RS fans but im with them in part on this. not just liverpool fans but all english fans are demonized in the press and treated like animals by foriegn police.

itailans, spanish dutch and pretty much all of eastern european football rampage, maim, kill(hello italy) throw racist chants and nothing is done (a few fines thrown about here and there).

Man U fans in rome, Spurs fans in Spain and RS fans in athens (lets face it boys and girls if you had a genuine ticket and were turned away at the entrance to the champions league final i think you'd kick off too).

how ever you must also take into account the scumbags and chancers who blaged thier way into the game (pathetic security by the greeks) causing the problems in the 1st place.

bottom line.. dont jump on the fans of our B@$!@£d offspring accross the park because you never know when it will be our turn to be the scape goats of a useless, unorganized and downright corrupt governing body.

PS. to SheedySheedySheedy, mentioning the Hillsborough disaster in a derogatory mannor puts you in a whole other rung on the scum ladder mate. Red or Blue, 96 people died there. 96 people from the same city as our club. 96 people that could have been your father/mother/brother/sister/cousin or best friend so sort your life out. (not trying to start a flame or anything just a strong view i have)

you know,its the likes of Radio City 96.7 who drive the RS on with there continual repeated news stories, interviews and weak as piss documentaries of how liverpool were robbed and their fans cheated.

For fooks sake, when they won they marvelled for 2 years with shitty programs about it, and when they loose they moan about uefa - and not the club, players or more importantly the disgrace of their following supporters!

Its obvious that the RS are the worst fans in europe...one of their supporters recieves a life sentence for attempted murder in Turkey, when another claims he was the guilty party...they are involved in other incidents also with the loss of many lives after after fallen walls...and they single handidly ruined other clubs getting all of the British clubs banned from Europe.

The fact that their 'thru-n-thru' upstanding supporters also rushed the gates in Athens shows how idiotic and disrespectful they are, with very short memories!

Edited by fcssl

heard today on SSN that liverpool fans have been in 25 yes 25 incidents since 2003.

How many have other teams been in a number of bad incidents since 2003?

fuck the lot of them, they need to look at themselves before pointing the fingers.

exactly! they are a shower of whinging and moaning gits - who complain about everything and anything rather than looking in the mirror and realising all the problems are caused by them usually!

:)

Incidentally, I am looking for somewhere to store my soapbox when I get off it, any help would be much appreciated!

lol

Edited by fcssl

PS. to SheedySheedySheedy, mentioning the Hillsborough disaster in a derogatory mannor puts you in a whole other rung on the scum ladder mate. Red or Blue, 96 people died there. 96 people from the same city as our club. 96 people that could have been your father/mother/brother/sister/cousin or best friend so sort your life out. (not trying to start a flame or anything just a strong view i have)

How have I mentioned it in a derogatory manor you prick. I'm merely giving another example of an incident involving the RS that once again they are looking to tie the blame to someone else for. It's a statement of fact not at jibe nor in any way a gloat about an incident where fans died.

You've picked up on me referring to the incident and immediately jump to the conclusion that I am basking in some kind of joy about what happened when I am pointing out a fact.

It's you who needs to sort your life out and possibly to learn/understand english before you try your hand at forum posting!

never thought id come down on the side of RS fans but im with them in part on this. not just liverpool fans but all english fans are demonized in the press and treated like animals by foriegn police.

itailans, spanish dutch and pretty much all of eastern european football rampage, maim, kill(hello italy) throw racist chants and nothing is done (a few fines thrown about here and there).

Man U fans in rome, Spurs fans in Spain and RS fans in athens (lets face it boys and girls if you had a genuine ticket and were turned away at the entrance to the champions league final i think you'd kick off too).

how ever you must also take into account the scumbags and chancers who blaged thier way into the game (pathetic security by the greeks) causing the problems in the 1st place.

bottom line.. dont jump on the fans of our B@$!@£d offspring accross the park because you never know when it will be our turn to be the scape goats of a useless, unorganized and downright corrupt governing body.

I respect your point above and also understand it. Much as Im a bitter blue, UEFA, as with most of these large organisations have a lot of Politics

The politics in this case are UEFA trying to deflect any critisism away from themselves

Or is it? As they say, they have a dossier of 23 incidents, the latest being the daylight robbery of fellow supporters, as well as other incidents that can be viewed on the net easily.

It is Liverpool supporters who are responsible and ulitmately liverpool football club who are responsible for them. This clubs chief Exec repeatedly blamed UEFA for only giving them 17K tickets and then gave 6K to corporate partners. Bragged about how many supporters would be there. He has sadly forgot liverpools past, as have many of their fans, except when their is a flag waving opportunity or to say "5 times baby"

In stead of blaming everyone else for liverpools problems, they should take responsibilty for themselves and their actions and next time the word justice is mentioned... well maybe they should look in the mirror. The only difference this time is that the police didn't open the gates

That is a fact, its a fact I can live with. I wonder if the real scum involved in these incidents can live with what they've done. I doubt they have given it a second thought

Uefa president Michel Platini has declared that Liverpool fans are not the worst behaved in Europe after all, after holding a meeting with British sports minister Richard Caborn, during which he handed over a report on the investigation into the crowd trouble which marred last months Champions League final.

Last weekend, Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said the club's supporters were the worst in Europe after a report was issued which described 25 incidents of misconduct involving Liverpool fans since 2003. But this assertion was contradicted bluntly by Platini, who told Reuters, "No they are not. It's official, they are not the worst behaved in Europe."

Uefa blamed Liverpool fans for causing the majority of the problems before the Champions League final but Liverpool have argued that Uefa's ticket system and the Athens police were primarily responsible for the ugly scenes.

Caborn announced following the meeting that Platini will establish a working party in conjunction with England's Football Licensing Authority to decide on the suitability of venues for future European finals. "We want to learn from the past and make sure we can have safe grounds for supporters", Caborn said. "I suggested they set up a working party, which was well-received by Mr. Platini.

"They will be looking at major European finals and I hope they can start setting some standards for clubs entering the competitions that they have to meet certain criteria. It was a very useful and constructive meeting with Michel Platini and he wants to make sure we do not have a repeat of events in Athens."

Fuck em, whinging pack of self obsessed twats. Getting the Sports Minister involved is an act of cowardice, put up by a club that feels it is above critisism.

One thing springs to mind - The Kop in the 70's, if you ever stood there for a Derby, you will know what I mean.

ATB

Mac

All this anti-Liverpool fc stuff makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The club and mostly their fans behave like spoiled children, and everyone hates spoilt children.

Yes, many of us have mates who support LFC, even best mates. but that doesnt stop them being a bunch of moaning bastards.

Ungracious in victory and ungracious in defeat sums them up perfectly.

Just listen to the words of this desperate eye-witness.

“My heart sank as I stood and watched what was happening. After what happened in Sheffield in 1989 I couldn’t believe Liverpool fans, of all people, could do such dangerous things.

“I honestly feared people were going to get crushed and we were going to have another Hillsborough. It was disgusting. The people who stormed into the stadium are scum of the earth.

“They put at risk hundreds of lives and should be ashamed of themselves. The vast majority of Liverpool fans are impeccably behaved, but there has always been a hard core of mindless thugs that ruin it for the rest. It hurts me to say this, but I won’t be following Liverpool on their travels in future.”

No, not more scapegoat seeking nonsense from William Gaillard, but the words of Phil Hammond, the chairman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group who lost his son in the tragedy.

When he utters such words we are forced to ask have any lessons really been learned?

Some fans, and we must stress this is very much a minority, see ‘bunking in’ as some kind of badge of honour – the more difficult the circumstances the greater the ‘honour.’

Rubbish, of course.

These low-life are scumbags who bring shame on Liverpool and tarnish the celebrated reputation the law-abiding fans have created with the vibrant, passionate and rightly famous European nights at Anfield.

And it is why, outside this city, some will nod their heads in agreement when William Gaillard describes Liverpool fans as the “worst in Europe.”

We are very close to a line we don't wish to cross here, Many fans were well behaved, I will conceed that point, but they have a seriously bad record in this area of discussion.

Platini has stated "they are not the worst behaved fans in Europe", I for one would like to know who are.

RS have, and will continue to push any limits placed in front of them, they consider themselves "above the law". To me this is unacceptable, we suffered last time as a result of their appauling attitude, please God not this time.

ATB

Mac