IGNORED

Big Dunc

Totally agree, what a fantastic addition he would make to our youth setup, incredidible passion and commitment with an ability to bring out the best in people.

In fact why don't we petition the Vatican and get him Cannonised, better still - elect him King of the Universe.

Did I lay it on thick enough?.

ATB

Mac

Sponge, I am pretty much an anti-Ferguson Evertonian, you will convert me to your way of thinking if you can provide one shred of evidence proving DF elevated and promoted the image of Everton in any footballing capacity.

ATB

Mac

Sponge, I am pretty much an anti-Ferguson Evertonian, you will convert me to your way of thinking if you can provide one shred of evidence proving DF elevated and promoted the image of Everton in any footballing capacity.

ATB

Mac

Rightly or wrongly the crowd fed off him and given our current heady status as one of the most feared grounds to play at largely due to the venom of the crowd forged during the Ferguson years, not a footballing capacity but a large factor involved in the footballing capability of EFC.

Before any of you oldies start telling me of the magical Goodison atmospheres of years before my time bear in mind teams used to come to Goodison and steam roller us in the early 90's with not much more than a whimper from the crowd. I believe that Duncan Ferguson played a massive roll in injecting some passion back into our football club when the wheels were very close to falling off!

P.S. I dont expect to turn you Mac but I'll always offer an opinion on the big fella

They Steamrollered us in the 90s because we had second rate players, with second rate Managers, who where never backed by the second rate Boardroom. When you dont see anything on the field to inspire you, us "Old Dogs" have to suffer in silence cos all the vocal support in the world wouldnt turn a Scally into a Prince.

i'm with Mac on the big Dunc subject, but i respect the "Young Pups" views about him. :D:D

ATB

Mac

Sponge aint replied so hope i can but-in!!

I was/always will be a fan (i hold my hands up to that as if its a confession)! Towards the end i admit i felt we held on too long when we were literally crying out for pace and trickery. My case in favour of DF is this:...........

For best part of 10 years who else took a game to the likes of manu, lpool, arse etc. If nowt else he helped us take some points & pride from the bigger teams.

Also, got a great elbow/left hook on him! :P

Get him back, just dont give him too much responsibility!

mac, bet when he scored against manure and we won 1 nil that when the crowd sang his name aloud you had a shiver down your spine with the hairs standing up on the back of ur neck

I did, two seasons ago and 10 years before that, I've talked before how I got butterflies and had to sit down for a moment while celebrrating that goal, The 1995 one

I was only 23 :lol:

But these things dont make a Legend, I think it just goes to show how desparate we are/were for a hero

I think thats what I would describe him as A Hero, certainly not a Legend

I did, two seasons ago and 10 years before that, I've talked before how I got butterflies and had to sit down for a moment while celebrrating that goal, The 1995 one

I was only 23 :lol:

But these things dont make a Legend, I think it just goes to show how desparate we are/were for a hero

I think thats what I would describe him as A Hero, certainly not a Legend

I agree he's a hero not a legend. More liked for his personality rather than his goal scoring ....

in my eyes dunc is a legend ;) the last time when we beat Man utd 1-0 a few seasons back i have never seen an atmosphere like it when he scored, ill never forget that awsesome :)

Never seen Everton play at Wembley then!.

mac, bet when he scored against manure and we won 1 nil that when the crowd sang his name aloud you had a shiver down your spine with the hairs standing up on the back of ur neck

Yes, yes I did. I have memories which surpass that by a mile, i.e. Cup Winners Cup semi final - Bayern at Goodison, still get goosepimples.

whatever legend or hero he still loved the blues

Loved the money we paid, gave very little VFM.

I am not pissing on the memories of our younger members, that is insulting to our membership. I hate the fact he gave so little over such an exstensive period of time. He was well paid for a job he failed to do - my proof?, people are recalling one of three games in which he was outstanding. Not fucking good enough, if you wish to idolise him please feel free. I will keep my adulation for players who earned it.

ATB

Mac

VFM cos of injuries or form? If anyone could prove his injuries weren't genuine then i'd agree. Yes there were plenty of them but who can say for definite that they weren't genuine?

Also, a plyr like dunc will have good/bad days and not always fit in to the game but if nothing else he was one awkward bastard who never let defences relax and that allowed other playrs to shine (which they rarely did).

A player who holds 'iconic' status amongst the Goodison faithful. And whilst i was a fan (when he was fit and hungry for it) i can't help have my good memeories overshadowed by his terrbile injury status (and consequent lack of games) and the amount of red cards he received. being passionate is one thing but 'regularly' being in the ref's bad books is hardly the mark of a team player who would do anything for the club.

Scored some great goals, scored some importnat goals.......but too infrequent for me. A fit Duncan ferguson could mess about the best defenders in the league, sadly fitness or temper all to often prevented him from doing so regularly. Shame really. but thats only my opinion......what do i know eh?!?! :unsure:

I find it very difficult to allow this topic to continue, when so many are blinded by a man who flattered to decieve in so many area's of his game. The man left us with a legacy of bans and injuries, no way should he be held in the same light as Bob Latchford, Linaker, Royle and a whole host of players who have played up front for this club of ours.

In times of emergency, he was great, but where was he on a cold wednesday in Oldham, Blackburn, Palace, Fulham et al?.

He can go and fuck off, he is not needed at youth level, he has nothing to offer, nothing to contribute and nothing of value.

Bye Dunc, thanks for fuck all.

ATB

Mac

he was a hero of mine as a kid, but for all the good memories, i have to think what he could have been.

Ferguson always had the potential to be a great player, but more often than not he let himself (and the team) down.

with his ariel ability, and the aggression he brought to the game (the type that put fear in defender, not the type that got him sent off) and he did have a great left foot. let down by injuries and his own demons, but i'll still remember him from my childhood when us evertonians had nothing else to hold on to, apart from a man who had the fire we had, but not always the commitment.

he was a hero of mine as a kid, but for all the good memories, i have to think what he could have been.

Ferguson always had the potential to be a great player, but more often than not he let himself (and the team) down.

with his ariel ability, and the aggression he brought to the game (the type that put fear in defender, not the type that got him sent off) and he did have a great left foot. let down by injuries and his own demons, but i'll still remember him from my childhood when us evertonians had nothing else to hold on to, apart from a man who had the fire we had, but not always the commitment.

Agreed, when we had no one to look up at, no one to show us that they wanted to play for Everton up stepped Dunc. He may have had a bad injury record and suspended a lot of games (although refs had it in for him) he always seemed to be playing for the shirt. I loved it, it seemed to me (I was young) that Dunc protected his teammates. With a team full of uninspirational players and when it looked like we'd never win, up popped Dunc off and Hinchcliffe corner and we'd get a goal.

It's certainly a lot harder to explain that I thought but with the oldies seeing a lot better and committed players maybe they just don't get it and saw past him. We were young and naive (as all young people are) and back then he just seemed to be what Everton were about. The one man who stood out above the likes of Danny Williamson and the Farrellys. We had some shower of shite back but for a while I forgot about Dunc and that was when Speed came on to the scene, then he left controversially so I decided to go back to Dunc who I felt loved the club and after seeing Speed, an Evertonian, leave it was shocking as it seemed Dunc loved the club more than an Evertonian.

But I was young and gullible and certainly not have the experience that the older Evertonians had. He was the first player I liked and for which, I will always have a soft spot for.

Damn good post TrueBlue - but now you've mentioned Speed i think i feel a whole new can of worms could be open.

i'm still gutted Speed left, and i hate the whole mystery that surrounds it. and quite simply, i feel sorry that a fellow evertonian got shit on by the club to save the reputation of our greatest manager

On Big Dunc: for me he was ALL about passion and heart (and tattoo) for a club who stuck by him when the Scottish FA decided to hang him out to dry. And he scored that goal for Joe Royle when Everton needed to turn things around against our b:*&^y neighbours. Which made him a hero. But I agree, not a legend.

As a few of you before me have said, in his first stint with us, that elbow or headbutt or at least reputation, cost us as many games as he had a hand in winning.

In my opinion, his aerial "prowess" at corners and freekicks was flattered once Andy Hinchcliffe found his range and curl from the dead ball. He actually never scored that many goals. It was more his being on the field that lifted teammates a little.

And in his second stint with us, I preferred it when he wasn't on the pitch because his mere presence suddenly changed our tactics from passing to long ball, which usually made us toothless ultimately.

All in all I loved him for his passion and commitment, his never-say-die attitude, and the fact that in the 90's he gave us hope, but hated him in the 00's because of the effect he had on our tactics.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to have him involved at some level with the club. You'd just need to make sure he wasn't telling the youngsters to "put the elbow in"... :)