IGNORED

Borja Oubiña

Oubina agent reveals Spurs, Everton contact

tribalfooball.com - June 22, 2007

Three Premiership clubs are chasing Celta Vigo midfielder Borja Oubina.

Oubina is expected to quit Celta following their relegation last season and his agent, Lito Miguez, confirmed to AS that Everton and Tottenham have asked for more information about his situation.

Manchester City, with Thaksin Shinawatra now in charge, have also registered their interest in the young midfielder in the last 48 hours.

I have looked at some articles on sky sports news - and all mention him in good light - I get the feeling this lad is a very good player. with the amount of Spanish players based in Mersyside - we could be a good destination for a young spaniard.

From a Celta Vigo fans forum

Who is Celta's real "untouchable" player?

david_silva11 May 2006, 04:00 AM

The question is tricky because it depends on how you personally like to set up a team. I think the most important player on the pitch is your holding defender that plays in front of your defensive line, so for me it has to be Borja Oubiña. He's the second best at what he does in La Liga and he reminds me of a certain defending midfielder who used to play around these parts a few years ago (I'm referring to Claude Makelele).

Pinto has played really well the last two years, but goaltending is one of the last things you address on your side, except if Roy Carroll is playing in net. Angel deserves way more respect than he gets with Celta fans and the media, but the guy does his job on the field and I definitely appreciate the fact that he didn't bail when Celta was relegated. Unfortunately, he's not up there on the list of priorities. Fernando Baiano was really good at the start of the year, showing why he's one of the most lethal strikers in La Liga at the start of the year. But he's sort of tapered off, and he's even admitted that he wasn't prepared to deal with the long season. He's not an untouchable striker, especially considering the fact that Celta still won when he was in his slump. David Silva is such a good player and he fills his attacking role so well and he's gonna be a star very soon, but finding great attacking players is sort of easier that finding a guy who does the dirty work towards the back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madrid_190212 May 2006, 04:16 PM

Oubina has been consistently excellent all season. He is great prospect for Celta and Spain. The only time I have seen him seem a little troubled was the recent game against Barcelona. It amazes me how he can dominate the midfield at such a young age. I'm a huge fan of players who have such good balance to their game style. Although many people see him as a DM he does have his offensive attributes. When he gets the ball he always seeks to get it forward and create an attack. His positioning is key as well as he makes space for himself. In the attacking sense he is still lacking the final product but through time it will come. It would seem to anyone who hasn't seen him play that I am talking primarily about an AM player but I can't stress enough how skilled he is at defending. When Celta don't have posession he sits comfortablly in front of the back four. He is intelligent as when Celta are commiting players forward he will decide to stay back in case of a counter. I think Celta's success has largely come to just how good their central midfield pairing have been.

It's great to see Celta back in the top flight, they always belonged there and I just hope their youth system keeps producing players like Oubina.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

david_silva13 May 2006, 01:47 AM

Oubiña is definitely a special player and I wish him luck next year at Arsenal. The transfer agreement between Arsenal and Celta stated that Arsenal has first dibs on Celta players if they have an interest in them, and I can't see Arsenal let Manchester United get a player they've been needing ever since Roy Keane left. Borja has already said that if he leaves Celta, he doesn't want to play in the country and has always dreamed of playing in London. I think Borja will be an awesome addition to the Gunners and will hopefully be a stalwart in the Spanish national team for years to come.

david_silva13 May 2006, 01:56 AM

Celta's youth system, one would argue, got them to the first division last year. Borja Oubiña, the infamous Toni Moral, Israel and Jonathan Aspas were all important members of the squad that went up last year. Unfortunately, Celta have abandoned their youth system to attain their European success of this year. The youth system has been worsening of late, as seen by the fact that Celta B are on the brink of relegation in the Segunda B and very few players are getting called up to play, with Vazquez relying more on loaned players and players on trial.

bigp20 Jul 2006, 05:40 PM

Oubiña is definitely a special player and I wish him luck next year at Arsenal. The transfer agreement between Arsenal and Celta stated that Arsenal has first dibs on Celta players if they have an interest in them, and I can't see Arsenal let Manchester United get a player they've been needing ever since Roy Keane left. Borja has already said that if he leaves Celta, he doesn't want to play in the country and has always dreamed of playing in London. I think Borja will be an awesome addition to the Gunners and will hopefully be a stalwart in the Spanish national team for years to come.

How are you so sure that he's going to be at Arsenal?

Catfish21 Jul 2006, 03:52 PM

Borja has already said that if he leaves Celta, he doesn't want to play in the country and has always dreamed of playing in London. I think Borja will be an awesome addition to the Gunners and will hopefully be a stalwart in the Spanish national team for years to come.

Maybe Wenger will actually use the loan agreement system that Arsenal set up with Celta Vigo?