IGNORED

Rugby Union World Cup

I know it's not to everyones taste (Cue Mac!) but it kicks off this Friday with the hosts, France, taking on Argentina. The All Blacks are understandably the pre-tournament favourites, but this is still a cup competition so anything can happen. Sadly I think it highly unlikely that England will retain the title they claimed against the Aussies in their own backyard, but that won't stop me wishing!

Group A - England, Samoa, S. Africa, Tonga, USA

Group B - Australia, Canada, Fiji, Japan, Wales

Group C - Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Scotland

Group D - Argentina, France, Georgia, Ireland, Namibia

Two from each group to go into a quarter final stage, and all of the british isles teams have potential "banana skins" to overcome. I fully expect each of them to get through from the group stages though, with the possible exception of Scotland

il prob get done for lack of faith. but i do not think this england team has what it takes to reclaim the webb ellis trophy.

there doesnt seem to be the cohesion and spirit that the 2003 team had. jonny wilkinson injured again i see. shame really. whenever he was playing he always got us points via drop goals and rarely missed a penalty. however without him we NEVER go for drop goals but go for the try instead and never get anywhere.

however i do think we will do well not to embaress ourselves. thats pretty much what i hope is the worst outcome.

il prob get done for lack of faith. but i do not think this england team has what it takes to reclaim the webb ellis trophy.

The worst you can be accused of is realism. It'll be New Zealand comfortably I think, South Africa and France (by virtue of being on home soil) the only two with an outside chance of an upset. Disgraceful the way England failed to build on 2003.

The worst you can be accused of is realism. It'll be New Zealand comfortably I think, South Africa and France (by virtue of being on home soil) the only two with an outside chance of an upset. Disgraceful the way England failed to build on 2003.

The Aussies never go down without a fight ...... Dark Horses.

• 3 weeks later...

Off top Mike, But...

I once had a night out on the town wif the entire FIji rugby team & I wont go in to full details due to self crimination.

But What a night/next day long session type.

Anyhows these poor bastards hardly could afford a drink between them & i must have bought 5 pax o Fags that night to keep evryone choofin away.

enede up wif an incident involving the police, a fountain & some broken swings...I still to this day have the Fiji offic team wear T-shirt that was given 2 me upon my early morning shattered state ceremony of becomin an honoury Fijian.( celebrated in aforementioned fountain)

ide not even thought of that till the Kava killers put the sword in to Wales.

Great performance today....nearly as stressful as Thursday night though :( . What we need is the French to show one side of their character tonight, playing awesome rugby and taking out the All Blacks (not beyond the realms of possibility) and then turn up as the arrogant shits they can sometimes be in the semi against us. Final.....against Argentina hopefully :lol: ...World Champions again...no problem!

Well, it's not a common sight but I will be rooting for the Frogs for once, as you say Mike. it's not beyond the realms of possibility but it's a big ask!!

Very impressed with the England forwards play today, not just in the scrum (Not the Aussies strong point) but in the way they created several turnovers and also in driving on either as a unit or solo efforts.

I know yeah great stuff, its good that France had a tough game aswell, we were all expenting a NZ romp so confidence will be high in both camps ahead of the Semi, which France on home territory hopefully they will choke like they did against the Argi's!