IGNORED

If You Could

Andy

seriously, as in, if every single player in our squad (pienaar and gravs excluded because theyre loaners) was at their best, prime time fitness and work rate etc, what would your squad be?mine would look a little something like this:

howard

neville yobo lescott baines

arteta cahill jagielka VDM

yak vaughan

what about you lot?

*********HOWARD*************

NEVILLE*YOBO*STUBBS*LESCOTT

ARTETA*GRAVESEN*CAHILL*BAINES

****JOHNSON***YAKUBU*******

Stubbs because you need a bossy guy in the middle.

Lescott where he is because he can play there.

Baines where he is because to me he seems the best left footed player playing with confidence (apart from Arteta), plus his defensive mind would counter balance Cahill's attacking one. If he developed a good understanding with Cahill I'm sure he would be more than capable of doing the good job in this role.

Graveson because I think he is a solid prescence which I think would give Arteta even more confidence.

Johnson and Yakubu because with a solid midfield the two best players should be able to play at their best.

IMO.

----------Howard------------

neville-yobo-lescott-baines

--arteta-cahill-jags-pinaar--

----vaughan----yak--------

thats mine, neville is best at the back as proved by last night, and i think vaughan will become a better player than aj over time. personally i'd like to see arteta where cahill is and someone like SWP down the right, i can dream can't i?

........................................Howard..

.....Neville..........................................................Baines.

......................Yobo.........................Lescott(capt).

..................................Jagielka...

......Atreta....................Graveson...............Cahill.

...................Vaughan....................AJ.

High balls don't work at the moment,and anyway Vaughans good in the air if any come

in!Vaughan and AJ's speed and movement would have most opponents struggling.

An up to speed Jags and mad dog Gravesen could release Arteta and Cahill to make trouble.

........................................Howard..

.....Neville..........................................................Baines.

......................Yobo.........................Lescott(capt).

..................................Jagielka...

......Atreta....................Graveson...............Cahill.

...................Vaughan....................AJ.

High balls don't work at the moment,and anyway Vaughans good in the air if any come

in!Vaughan and AJ's speed and movement would have most opponents struggling.

An up to speed Jags and mad dog Gravesen could release Arteta and Cahill to make trouble.

Wer the fuck is Yakubu, 11 million pound player and our best striker <_<

I like the formation but it wouldnt suit them players there..

*********HOWARD*************

NEVILLE*YOBO*STUBBS*LESCOTT

ARTETA*GRAVESEN*CAHILL*BAINES

****JOHNSON***YAKUBU*******

:huh: we bought Baines as a leftback, why change the position of another player when we have finally got a good leftback?

Stubbs is to slow imo.

-------------------Howard--------------------

-Jagielka----Yobo-------Lescott-----Baines-

-Arteta-----Graveson---Cahill-----Pienaar-

-----------A.J---------------Yakubu----------

It would change if we got a decent center midfielder tho.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Wer the fuck is Yakubu, 11 million pound player and our best striker

He's on the bench mate!......Can only go on what I've heard and the little bit I've seen

but a fully fit Vaughan would at the moment get the nod from me.AJ's work rate alongside

a free scoring Vaughan would also keep Yakubu on the bench.

I hope he(Yakubu) within a couple of weeks, makes me look a twat for leaving him on the

bench :huh:

Yeh I like the formation....agree they may not be quite the right positions for those players.

Wer the fuck is Yakubu, 11 million pound player and our best striker

He's on the bench mate!......Can only go on what I've heard and the little bit I've seen

but a fully fit Vaughan would at the moment get the nod from me.AJ's work rate alongside

a free scoring Vaughan would also keep Yakubu on the bench.

I hope he(Yakubu) within a couple of weeks, makes me look a twat for leaving him on the

bench :huh:

Yeh I like the formation....agree they may not be quite the right positions for those players.

lets hope he does :D Im impressed by how good he is on the ball he just needs a few more goals and less long balls and people will be saying bargain.

i just want to throw an idea in the mixer.

yobo and lescott are without doubt our best centre halfs. but stubbs brings a little assurance and leadership to the defence. we have only one player down the left at the moment. so just for arguments sake. would anybody go for a 352/532 using wing backs, the extra man in defence can do away with a holding player also. maybe

---------------howard----------------

---------yobo stubbs lescott--------

neville-------------------------baines

------arteta gravesen pienaar------

----------yakubu johnson-----------

I would definitely go with you on that one StevO. Then when Cahill is back, lob him in where Pienaar is. I agree with you about Stubbs - yes, he lacks pace at times but he more than makes up for that in leadership, something I think every good defence needs.

yobo and lescott are without doubt our best centre halfs. but stubbs brings a little assurance and leadership to the defence. we have only one player down the left at the moment. so just for arguments sake. would anybody go for a 352/532 using wing backs, the extra man in defence can do away with a holding player also. maybe

Edited by zxspectrum

I have personally always been a fan of the 352 formation and I think baines and neville would be up to it. and the team you have picked in that formation is pretty much who I would play although I think Jags deserves a place so I am not sure If I would put him in at CB instead of stubbs or put him in CM instead of grav.

nah! Our defence is just going through a blip, this whole Stubbs thing is a total fantasy, we keep far more clean sheets without him in the team last year than when he played. We've kept one clean sheet this season (and Stubbs played the first few games) and that was against a Championship team and they should have scored a couple. He possibly deserves to stay in this weekend but he shouldn't be first choice anymore. Plus 3 creative midfielders, with little in the way of defensive capabilities would leave us totally overrun in midfield, plus Arteta is more effective on the wing - also Pienaar has shown only flashes so far, nothing to say he should be first choice. 352 never works, no strength in midfield and full-backs caught out of position.

With the players we have at the moment (going by current form and not long term injured) I'd go for:

----------------howard-------------------

-Nev-------Yobo-----Lescott----Baines

Pienaar--Gravesen----Jags-----Arteta

-----------McFadden---------------------

--------------------Yakubu--------------

a 4411, with McFadden providing some cover for midfield when we're defending and when attacking, he can link up with Yakubu, running from deep or providing through balls.

If Johnson can get back to form then stick with 442 as Gravesen will be able to play the through balls and also get Arteta and Pienaar on the ball in dangerous positions.

When everyone is fit, then I'd go for:

------------------howard--------------------

Nev-------Yobo--------Lescott------Baines

Pienaar---Gravesen---Jags---------Arteta

-----------Vaughan-------Yakubu----------

Cahill can come in if it doesn't work, maybe go back to 4411 with Cahill behind Vaughan/Yak. Maybe Cahill could come in for Pienaar etc. But this is the team I'd give a chance to, nice balance of creativity, ball winning, crossing and pace/strength. Not the tallest team in the world though.

nah! Our defence is just going through a blip, this whole Stubbs thing is a total fantasy, we keep far more clean sheets without him in the team last year than when he played.

terribly sorry but i'll have to correct you on this.

of the 40 games we played last season good ol' stubbsy played 31 of them. i doubt we had 9 clean sheets in the games without him, and even if we did that would make it quite hard to beat anyway!

sorry, but i hate seeing hard working players undermined. its not stubbs who is the fantasy, it seems to be your arguement.

apart from that, you have some nice ideas.

terribly sorry but i'll have to correct you on this.

of the 40 games we played last season good ol' stubbsy played 31 of them. i doubt we had 9 clean sheets in the games without him, and even if we did that would make it quite hard to beat anyway!

sorry, but i hate seeing hard working players undermined. its not stubbs who is the fantasy, it seems to be your arguement.

apart from that, you have some nice ideas.

I know Howard kept 14 clean sheets last year and I'm sure (from memory) that a lot of them came when Yobo/Lescott played together. I like Stubbs, but it annoyed me last year when all the pundits made him out to be some sort of saviour when the fact is both Yobo and Lescott were far better as a partnership without Stubbs. Unfortunately, this season we haven't defended particularly well, including the games were Stubbs has played. Lescott has made mistakes and now Yobo has started making some too, so I agree that Stubbs should be brought in short term to get everyone sorted again. I think that the midfield constantly giving the ball away and the 442 system has not helped as Nev/Carsley don't even seem to do much tackling in a 442 never mind passing! I think the team has just started poorly, but then again we didn't always play particularly well last year. Moyes has bought some very good players, but apart from his 451 experiment he hasn't really found another system to suit the players. I am confident though that our luck will turn, surely we will beat Boro at home on Sunday and then take off from there. As cheesed off as I have been with recent performances, once Arteta/Gravesen/ Cahill and Vaughan are back it'll totally transform our team. Let's just hope McFadden is given a FEW games (not one) up front to prove himself.

Edited by carlmc25

nah! Our defence is just going through a blip, this whole Stubbs thing is a total fantasy, we keep far more clean sheets without him in the team last year than when he played. We've kept one clean sheet this season (and Stubbs played the first few games) and that was against a Championship team and they should have scored a couple. He possibly deserves to stay in this weekend but he shouldn't be first choice anymore. Plus 3 creative midfielders, with little in the way of defensive capabilities would leave us totally overrun in midfield, plus Arteta is more effective on the wing - also Pienaar has shown only flashes so far, nothing to say he should be first choice. 352 never works, no strength in midfield and full-backs caught out of position.

With the players we have at the moment (going by current form and not long term injured) I'd go for:

----------------howard-------------------

-Nev-------Yobo-----Lescott----Baines

Pienaar--Gravesen----Jags-----Arteta

-----------McFadden---------------------

--------------------Yakubu--------------

a 4411, with McFadden providing some cover for midfield when we're defending and when attacking, he can link up with Yakubu, running from deep or providing through balls.

If Johnson can get back to form then stick with 442 as Gravesen will be able to play the through balls and also get Arteta and Pienaar on the ball in dangerous positions.

When everyone is fit, then I'd go for:

------------------howard--------------------

Nev-------Yobo--------Lescott------Baines

Pienaar---Gravesen---Jags---------Arteta

-----------Vaughan-------Yakubu----------

Cahill can come in if it doesn't work, maybe go back to 4411 with Cahill behind Vaughan/Yak. Maybe Cahill could come in for Pienaar etc. But this is the team I'd give a chance to, nice balance of creativity, ball winning, crossing and pace/strength. Not the tallest team in the world though.

You dont like Johnson do you? Our keeper and defense picks itself IMO

------------------Howard--------------------

----------Yobo-------------Lescott----------

-Neville------------------------------Baines-

------------------Jagielka--------------------

---Arteta-------Graveson--------Pienaar---

-----------Yakubu------A.J/Faddy-----------

Blue4ever - yes I do like Johnson, but not as much as Vaughan and on current form he has to be left out in favour of McFadden/Yakubu. The team you put up is pretty much exactly what I put up, except that I'd have McFadden drop off Yakubu slightly to help out the slightly lightweight midfield and to help create a little more. McFadden doesn't have the pace to really run in behind, his strengths are more in link up play and getting on the end of crosses etc. But yes, your team looks good. Hopefully we'll have a couple of players back for Sunday. I still don't know if Cahill has a place in a 442, he needs to add more to his game.

blue4ever - im with you on that one. when cahill is back id have to lose one of grav or pienaar.

by the way, whats your name?

Tom :) Yer Carl, playing 442 Cahill needs to be better all round. 4 4 1 1 he's great but we shouldnt be playing that formation with 4 good strikers just to fit one players needs. Unless we can convert him into a rightwinger :huh:

Tom :) Yer Carl, playing 442 Cahill needs to be better all round. 4 4 1 1 he's great but we shouldnt be playing that formation with 4 good strikers just to fit one players needs. Unless we can convert him into a rightwinger :huh:

exactly, although he has done exceptionally well for us so I'd certainly give him every chance to improve his game or move to a different position and if the strikers aren't scoring then bring him in as he does work hard, help the midfield with his energy and competitivity plus he scores a lot of goals anyway!

I'm not ruling him out of a 442, just on what he's shown in a 442 previously I think we have better options. He would be a very saleable asset as well, I don't want to sell him one bit, but if in the future we struggled for finances then we need a more dominating CM than Cahill. Still, looking forward to him being fit again, he really is exceptional in the air and I think his name on the teamsheet immediately puts a bit of fear into the opposition.

• 4 weeks later...

why can't anyone spell pienaar.... he's been here for a few months now, come on it aint that hard

howard

neville yobo lescott baines

pienaar cahill jagielka arteta

johnson vaughan

bench : turner, stubbs, mcfadden, yakubu, osman ... maybe vdm instead of mcfadden, or nuno... not sure on tht 1

Edited by CraccerC