IGNORED

What Makes A Game Exciting To You.

If I were to watch a game between 2 teams that I have never seen play before and there isn't a single "named" player on the pitch, can the game be exciting?? Can I say "Man, this was a great game!"

Describe in your own words what makes a game exciting to you. Please refrain from starting discussions like "well, that game sucked because we did this and that blah blah".

Try to describe this from a more abstract sense and not as a fan of a particular club. And try to imagine this while watching it on TV, not sitting on the stands.

Some questions to ask yourself when evaluating whether or not the game was exciting and a good game:

Quality of play

Long passing game vs a short passing game

Players performing "tricks"

Good goal keeping

Good defending

Good attack

Control of the midfield

One touch passing

Even playing field

Tactical game

Constant attacking, but low quality build up of the play...in other words direct attacking

Crowd's involvement

These are some things....I'm sure you all will come up with more.

taken from another forum.

I definately like the frustrating games, where you see teams really going for it but not getting it in the goal. i like watching quality build up play. i also do like the odd long ball chase if the attacking team has a pacey striker. they keep me most entertained compared to a game where say team a completely dominates team b and wins by like 5 goals.

From a Neutrals point of View of this beautiful game, TWO matches stood out for me this weekend..............

Portsmouth vs Reading.. 7-4. AND Spurs vs Aston Villa... 4-4, Both bloody good games to watch IF you where unattached to the clubs involved, so i would obviously put Goals and penalty area incidents as top of my list.

But if it came down to EFC being involved then i would like to see us play the Arsenal way, brilliant one touch football and an all-out attacking strategy with a clear intent of wanting win every game we play, I dont mind losing if you can come away from the ground saying we played some great football today and went out to win that game.

Unfortunately we dont get to say that too often these days, Oh how i wish i was an Arsenal Supporter at the moment.

I have to agree with you on the Arsenal front, i love watching them play. Wenger is a genius, no other way to look at it. Think he got shot of Henry at the perfect time as well.

Also if we are looking at neutral games the FA cup game between Spuds and Chelsea last year was class, also the league encounter between them last year was really good to watch.

Describe in your own words what makes a game exciting to you. Please refrain from starting discussions like "well, that game sucked because we did this and that blah blah".

Try to describe this from a more abstract sense and not as a fan of a particular club. And try to imagine this while watching it on TV, not sitting on the stands.

Some questions to ask yourself when evaluating whether or not the game was exciting and a good game....

Fucking hell I've not been asked a question like that since I sat my O levels :o !

Arsenal are truly impressive though, they've completely proved wrong the many experts who predicted they'd be under pressure to stay in the top four this year and they've done it without spending anything like the cash of the other "big" three, or as much as many of the smaller clubs. Their second and third string put Newcastle's first eleven out of the Carling Cup (as they've done us twice in the past) and they're rolling in cash...trying to turn away a Russian billionnaire ffs because they don't want him or need his money! My Arsenal fan father in law (who's 81) has even been to a couple of matches this year at the Emirates and is just blown away by the quality of the play (and the ground) and he's seen a lot. Wife's a Arsenal fan also....unbearable :) .

Back to the question. Just love watching live football, can't walk past a park game and on holiday in Greece next week one of the first things I'll do is check out when I can see a game at the local stadium. Not very abstract I'm afraid sir but maybe worth a C- :D .

at the world cup, italy vs argentina. 0-0

absolutely fantastic game and no goals scored! until italy pinched it 2-0 in extra time.

i love the last minute winners, everton vs arsenal last season, magic! but in a biased way!

im starting to think its biased watching arsenal now, i just want to see them win!

Oh let me think....a team of rank underdogs, French maybe...four off the bottom of their league, who go to play a game against a team in red....play them off the park and score a stunning winner with ten minutes left. Now that would be exciting....wait a minute...it's just happened :lol: !

Edited by MikeO

Love many things. The emotional range when comes to the beloved.

I used to love tackle's flying in, & good old fashioned animals, yet on the same hand applaud the beutiful game, a defence splitting pass etc etc.

I also like the neutral games, when after about what seems 5 minutes you look up @ match clock & it's actually 30 mins in to the game.

That usually indicates a cracking match to me, regardless of scorelines etc etc.

One word for football at the moment:

Barcelona

... And not just because of the awesome foursome (plus Krkic and Geovani), but also because they bought G. Milito and Abidal over the summer so that the defence is as good as the attack. The midfield is class as well with Deco, Iniesta and Xavi.

I do lament that the defensive AND controlling aspect of football is severley underrated and basically lost in the Prem (for the most part).

Aside from the obvious benchmarks of football, Barca, Arsenal etc. I love watching games where the players are honest, play for each other and are passionate. Can't stand the increasingly common game playing, particulalry diving. It is dull, frustrating and a poor example to all the kids. Speaking of which, outside of internationals and Everton, I love watching kids the best, they just play for fun and you can really see them enjoying it. They don't have to be particulalry good to be entertaining, they just need to play with their hearts.