IGNORED

Fc Nürnberg

MikeO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching the news this morning and the sports bit had a piece on Everton at Nürnberg....had (momentarily...not a morning person :sleeping_03anim: :shiftyeyes_anim: ) forgotten we were playing today. Struck me how brilliant it is to be playing so often, sensory overload :lol: , been a long time since the games came this thick and fast. Loving it!

ok so it looks like Baines, Stubbs are going to be out so the defence could be interesting. I hope he gives Carsley a rest to keep him fresh for chelsea so I'd play Hibbo, Yobo, Jags and Lescott back 4 (hopefully he won't play Valente, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we did). I expect Neville to play instead of Carsley in DM, then the midfield is anyone's guess although I expect Gravesen to play unless injured. Options are a bit limited up front but I really wouldn't rule out McFadden being in the team somewhere, we must have one eye on the weekend and with a weakened Chelsea team we have a good chance to get a result if we're fresh.

Nuno Valente is in. Maybe not a surprise as he's got so much Euro experience, he has won the thing (not to mention the Champions League) after all.

David Moyes has made one change from the side that started against Birmingham for the Uefa Cup Group A match against Nurnberg.

The injury sustained by Alan Stubbs in the first half of the 3-1 weekend success means the experienced defender misses out, with Nuno Valente coming into the side at left-back to replace him.

It means a start in the heart of defence for Joleon Lescott alongside Joseph Yobo, with Phil Neville again employed at right-back.

Tim Cahill will provide the attacking support for Yakubu, with Lee Carsley, Steven Pienaar, Mikel Arteta and Leon Osman occupying a ball-playing midfield.

Phil Jagielka has to settle for a place on the bench despite his impressive showing as a sub at the weekend.

Edited by MikeO

Somebody about to make their 300 quid? (i'm knocking on wood for you, honest)

^ Made up for him, We played shite in all honesty.

I got pissed off with the amount of long balls Lescott + Yobo done, Neville was a joke again, Valente was alrite like but doesn't stay tight enough to the winger for me.

Yakubu worked hard fair play to him on his own with loads of long balls up, and roughed the defense up for Vic.

Pienaar apart from a few poor passes was imo our best player if we had one.

Anichebe you legend, teams in europe can't handle him when he comes on. Anichebe + Vaughan will be one of the best partnerships ever give them another 2 years, Vaughans already proved his class now Victor is starting to.

Glad about the result but we played shite.

^ Made up for him, We played shite in all honesty.

I got pissed off with the amount of long balls Lescott + Yobo done, Neville was a joke again, Valente was alrite like but doesn't stay tight enough to the winger for me.

Yakubu worked hard fair play to him on his own with loads of long balls up, and roughed the defense up for Vic.

Pienaar apart from a few poor passes was imo our best player if we had one.

Anichebe you legend, teams in europe can't handle him when he comes on. Anichebe + Vaughan will be one of the best partnerships ever give them another 2 years, Vaughans already proved his class now Victor is starting to.

Glad about the result but we played shite.

don't know what game you watched? we played against a Bundesliga team and totally controlled the match, never looked like losing and won 2-0. Neville never put a foot wrong all night, he was excellent. Valente (surprisingly) was also very good. We passed the ball around a lot but looked a little like we were happy with the draw and didn't really want to exert too much energy. Excellent totally professional win, about time too. Pienaar was no way best player imo, he was ok but nothing special, Osman shined a lot brighter than Pienaar in my opinion. Defense (apart from a couple of stupid moments) looked totally solid and Yakubu worked hard enough with no service. Once again Anichebe comes on and makes the difference, just a pity whenever he starts a game he looks totally useless - supersub material for me as he always tires too quickly and doesn't seem to put anywhere near as much effort in as he does as a sub. Bit concerned that we played a full strength team, Nurnberg looked unbelievably poor and I think we would have been pretty comfortable resting a couple of players, I mean Cahill really contributed little tonight and looked a little tired for me. Arteta, Carsley all appeared to be getting leggy with 20 mins to go and I was very surprised Grav didn't come on. I think a lot of players will be tired for Chelsea now, but at least they'll go there in good spirits. I'd expect a couple of changes for Chelsea, they have a big physical team and I think Jags or Neville will be brought in alongside Carsley in midfield with possibly Pienaar or Osman on the bench.

Wasn't the most exciting match tonight and Arteta's set pieces were awful (different ball in Europe?) but it was a typical away match in a group stage. Well done Everton, Moyes seems to be getting the cups right at last. 5 wins on the trot, 5 x 451's on the trot.

What I don't understand is why it's OK for Vic to batter his way through the European defences (legally of course) but two years ago in Villarreal Dunc was penalised if he breathed too heavily on them, fucking Collina....just a thought.

Anyway Vic MOTM even though he only played fifteen minutes. Anyone we come up against now is gonna be shitting themselves waiting for him to come off the bench.

We would never have kept a clean sheet in the prem with that back 4, Neville gives plenty of assistance going forward but takes an eternity to track back, so Yobo was constantly pulled out of the centre to cover fullback, same with Lescott on the other side having to cover for Valente who in my opinion has lost it, not good enough now.

Arteta must have got 20 freekicks and about 6 corners in that game and never hit a decent pass all night, just dont know whats going on with him, seems like he's just playing for fouls and is more of a showboater now.

Lost count of the long balls that went over Yakubu's head straight to their goalkeeper, Yobo, Lescott and Howard the main Culprits.

Pienaar played football but tired near the end cos he also did a lot of chasing back, nobody really stood out for me tonight, but what can you say about Annichebe, only played for 20 mins but got another assist, another goal, and generally caused panic in their defence. Supersub.

Turned out to be a comfortable win in the end but we do make it hard for ourselves, the trials and tribulations of being a Blue

Not a bad performance....and a dam good result! I think if Cahill had tucked that chance away in the first minute we would have strolled it.Instead we had to work for it.Thought Yakubu seems to be improve with every game and deserves praise...still better to come!

Not a good night for Anichebe haters!!! :rolleyes: Thought he showed excellent striker instincts, and when he recieved the ball out wide....HOW the hell did he score from that?

Arteta had a strange night!....Who was nervious for that penalty :o ...I was!

Cahill was allowed to run himself into the ground, should have coame off on about 60mins, didn't do much after that.

Five straight wins!!......Anything from Chelsea would be good, spirits will be high and if they recover they could give Chelsea a hell of a game.

Also thought Howard was great when called on.

Arteta had a strange night!....Who was nervious for that penalty :o ...I was!

Me also, luckily it was the only ball he connected with sweetly all night. Agree with Bill that it's not the strongest back four we've ever put out, many players below par and the opposition were fairly poor but we're still going to be in Europe til Feb at least....love it :D .

Job done, but, and Im probably in the minority here, I thought we were pretty terrible. Yes we passed the ball (sometimes) but we do it so fucking slowly it's ineffective, then we hoof the ball and it comes straight back at us. Every throw in we had we did fuck all with it, every corner was wasted, same goes for the free kicks. Im tiring of us doing the same shit different day act. And for the love of god Spud please stop taking our set pieces and go practice in the park. After the Chelsea game he should be benched to wake him up because in all honesty he looks crap. Nice cameo from Vic once again, I just hope Moyes doesn't do his usual trick of starting him after a good cameo.

Like I said job done and we're probably through but improvements on performance must be made.

Always the harshest critics of ourselves. Whoever wrote the match report seemed to think Arteta had a great game - it's peppered with adjectives like "inspirational" and "classy" and "outfoxing" to describe his play.

I didn't see it, so I can't comment myself except to say that (as always) I'm happy that we won. I just hope we aren't completely knackered for Chelsea after spending so much energy to get that win.

Always the harshest critics of ourselves. Whoever wrote the match report seemed to think Arteta had a great game - it's peppered with adjectives like "inspirational" and "classy" and "outfoxing" to describe his play.

I didn't see it, so I can't comment myself except to say that (as always) I'm happy that we won. I just hope we aren't completely knackered for Chelsea after spending so much energy to get that win.

I agree with whoever said Arteta is showboating a bit at the moment and seems content winning free-kicks, but usually his set-pieces are superb and we score a lot of goals from them, tonight they were awful. To be honest, I thought Arteta was one of our better players, it's just everyone judges him against what they know he is capable of so all of a sudden he was crap when in effect he was still as good as Pienaar and better than Cahill for me. Yes he can play a lot better and do a lot more with the ball, but he hardly lost possession all night, won loads of free-kicks in dangerous areas, worked hard and did enough. He just looks like he needs a bit of a rest, but the problem is, Arteta on a bad day is still better than most of the players in our squad on a good day.

I have to say, I think criticism is ridiculous - every time I've watched teams like Liverpool over the years in group games away from home they've gone about it professionally. Soaked up the play, hit them where it hurts and ended up winning - that's what we did. We won 2-0 away from home against a top flight German team, yes they looked poor but so what, we won. Personally I don't understand the criticism, we don't go away from home to entertain, we're not Arsenal, we play to get results and we did. The most professional performance we've put in in Europe under Moyes by far. Well played.

As you say it was a little work for you, or as we say in Germany, it was a "Arbeitssieg".

For me as Nürnberg Supporter the match wasn't that enjoyable, especially the result.

But my main intention to write in your forum is the very special and very exciting atmosphere before and after the match.

If i don't have to go to work today, i would have stayed in the city all night long!

It was very, very nice to have you guys here! It was such a amazing atmosphere in the whole city, loads of you folks, very,

very much beer, loud singing and chanting - in one word: GREAT!!!

This atmosphere will last a long, long time, if not lifetime, in my mind! I enjoyed every minute, and i hope you too.

Just blast away the other two teams, so that we have a chance to make it to the next round.

I'm really looking forward for the next english team, and if there is any god, we'll meet again. Perhaps next time in your city...

As i said, you guys are really great! Thanks for visiting, the fun and the loads of nice people i've met tonight.

Edited by Sebbo FCN

Very nice of you to say that SebboFCN and we wish you and your team lots of success in the future, Both teams are on a learning curve and taking their first tentative steps into Europe for a long time, hopefully we shall get better and better.

I'm sure that we will have much more exciting meetings in the years to come, and would welcome you into our cIty as you have welcomed us into yours. GOOD LUCK. :)