IGNORED

Chelsea (away)

zequist

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People sometimes ask me why Cahill is my favorite player anywhere right now. Moments like that are just one of the reasons why. The man is CLUTCH!

So people were saying a few weeks ago that this run of 7 games in 23 days would define our season - let's hope that 5-1-1 on a stretch that included Liverpool, Chelsea, and two games in Europe not only defines it, but inks it, publishes it, and puts the dictionary on the bookstore shelf. And to think that mark could've been even better if not for the NWO Referee running the first game. Although the team's played so much better ever since he ticked them off that maybe we should send him a thank you card.

correct me if im wrong but i think that is cahills 30th goal in a blue shirt and i think it was his 99th so thats pretty much 1 goal in three games

fucking legend

And after all hes a midfielder :D Omg how badly my daughter got scared when he netted that overhead kick B) and we have a fathers day in here in Finland today , dunno do you have it same day in England also

we have a fathers day in here in Finland today , dunno do you have it same day in England also

Sadly not fathers day today :angry: ....I'll just have to get the Stella from the fridge myself when I watch Match of the day :P

Great result! Without Arteta, Baines and Vaughan, and after a big run of games.

Pleased to hear Hibbert had a good game, maybe people wil back off him a bit and let him save us a lot of money, by returning to form.

Well done lads. Shows how much better we are without Neville in the second half, glad to see Tommy get on, like I said the service first half was a joke Yak must have felt like a complete idiot getting fuck all for 45 mins. Hibbo proved his critisisers wrong today well done lad. Lescott was class best ive seen him play in a while.

:)

Well done lads. Shows how much better we are without Neville in the second half, glad to see Tommy get on, like I said the service first half was a joke Yak must have felt like a complete idiot getting fuck all for 45 mins. Hibbo proved his critisisers wrong today well done lad. Lescott was class best ive seen him play in a while.

:)

One good game compared to two years of shitness? I don't think so. When he does it week in week out that's when he's proved people wrong. You wouldn't say Neville had proved anyone wrong if he had one good game so why would it be different for Hibbo?

One good game compared to two years of shitness? I don't think so. When he does it week in week out that's when he's proved people wrong. You wouldn't say Neville had proved anyone wrong if he had one good game so why would it be different for Hibbo?

Its unfair to say he's played shite for 2 years, he is inconsistent but he's always played well when he's had a rightmidfielder other than Arteta in front of him who doesnt go wandering, which proved that today. Its not the first time this season either.If I could honestly say Neville had played well in 1 game this season then I would, its proved how better we play when he's not there in the last 3 or so games and in the second half today.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Sorry, didn't know you guys didn't use that word on your side of the pond. In sports, we say that a guy is "clutch" if he has a knack for coming up with big plays at important moments in a game, especially in big games. He's a guy you want to see with the ball when it's all on the line, and even though you know intellectually that he can't deliver 100% of the time, it still feels like a surprise when he doesn't. Pressure has no effect on him, and ice water seems to flow through his veins. If you know golf, Tiger Woods is probably the ultimate "clutch" athlete in any sport today.

The opposite of "clutch" are guys with star reputations who put up numbers in unimportant games or in games where their contribution means nothing (like poaching two goals in a 5-0 rout), but in a tough game where it's all on the line and their team really needs them to earn their paycheck, more often than not they fold up like a cheap suit.

To give some EPL examples, Gerrard without a doubt is clutch. Shevchenko is clearly not clutch. Tevez showed the potential to be clutch in rescuing West Ham's season last year. Drogba is clutch, Solskjaer was clutch. Paul Robinson is not, Rooney isn't but might be someday. On our own team, Cahill is clutch, Neville is not, and Anichebe can be as long as he doesn't start the game. The jury is still out on Arteta.

Sorry, didn't know you guys didn't use that word on your side of the pond. In sports, we say that a guy is "clutch" if he has a knack for coming up with big plays at important moments in a game, especially in big games. He's a guy you want to see with the ball when it's all on the line, and even though you know intellectually that he can't deliver 100% of the time, it still feels like a surprise when he doesn't. Pressure has no effect on him, and ice water seems to flow through his veins. If you know golf, Tiger Woods is probably the ultimate "clutch" athlete in any sport today.

The opposite of "clutch" are guys with star reputations who put up numbers in unimportant games or in games where their contribution means nothing (like poaching two goals in a 5-0 rout), but in a tough game where it's all on the line and their team really needs them to earn their paycheck, more often than not they fold up like a cheap suit.

To give some EPL examples, Gerrard without a doubt is clutch. Shevchenko is clearly not clutch. Tevez showed the potential to be clutch in rescuing West Ham's season last year. Drogba is clutch, Solskjaer was clutch. Paul Robinson is not, Rooney isn't but might be someday. On our own team, Cahill is clutch, Neville is not, and Anichebe can be as long as he doesn't start the game. The jury is still out on Arteta.

Some would say that describes Henry...

wasn't it hibbo that let drogba score the first goal

No way. Lescott was marking him but there was no way he could have covered the run. Hibbo was on the near post but it was past him too fast for him to react. Carsley at fault if anyone cos he was the front man....but as TC came to the rescue (not to mention the two points he pulled out of the bag for us last week) I think I'll let him off (sure he'll be relieved to hear it :P ).

wasn't it hibbo that let drogba score the first goal

Yeah... it was Hibbert at the post... but Drogba when through three defenders - lost his marker, and got in front of Carsley to be first to the ball to glance in a rocket... not much Hibbert could have done, unless he was on stilts.

Aaah.. beat me to it Mike.

Edited by Droobie