IGNORED

Anyone Read "sharpy"?

Sharpy's autobiography - anyone on this forum read it? I read it a while back, my son read it more recently and reminded me of a comment in the book that fits our current team.

He says that the team in the 80s under HK mark 1 had skill and ability but also that extra something that we might call team spirit / togetherness. Some of the players that Harvey brought in after that were not what Sharp calls "Everton players" - may be skilful but not the sort to go out and "die" for the team. Exhibit one - Beagrie.

Looking at our current squad (exclude VDM), I do not see a single players that fails to meet that definition of an "Everton" player.

Makes you realize how important team chemistry is, and how easy it is to screw it up.

Anyway, great read for those who've not read it yet.

Sharpy's autobiography - anyone on this forum read it? I read it a while back, my son read it more recently and reminded me of a comment in the book that fits our current team.

He says that the team in the 80s under HK mark 1 had skill and ability but also that extra something that we might call team spirit / togetherness. Some of the players that Harvey brought in after that were not what Sharp calls "Everton players" - may be skilful but not the sort to go out and "die" for the team. Exhibit one - Beagrie.

Looking at our current squad (exclude VDM), I do not see a single players that fails to meet that definition of an "Everton" player.

Makes you realize how important team chemistry is, and how easy it is to screw it up.

Anyway, great read for those who've not read it yet.

He makes it clear in that book that a certain signing (no names mentioned) from West Ham was never an Everton player, and he was right

(Cottee oh shit)

I am an avid auto/biography reader and in past couple of years have read a few of the ex- Everton based books. To be honest I thought Sharpy, My Story, was adequate, for me it didn't quite hit the spot as a great read albeit he was a great hero of mine. Similarly, Trevor Steven and Gary Stevens combined effort and Andy Grays' just somehow don't capture the essence. Maybe because it was an age where I was an ever present home and away and knew the ins and outs of the club, so you become a bit blase about things.

For Everton auto/biographies try any of the Holy Trinity for starters and for something different try 'Der Ball Ist Rund', (translated as 'The Ball Is Round', you'd never guess haha) Everton in Europe, 1962-2005. Cracking read as it gives insight into the history of the clubs we met in Europe during those years as well as comments on the actual games.