IGNORED

The Toomey Trophy

Louis

Apparently the under 18s will take part in a tournament in Southend this weekend.

Head of Youth Ricky Duncan has already had interest from top flight Dutch sides about next years Toomey Trophy before this years has taken please.

This weekend sees Southend United's under 18's entertain Premier League trio Arsenal, Everton and Fulham at Roots Hall in the inaugural Toomey Trophy.

Blues will face Arsenal on Saturday after Everton have completed their semi-final against Fulham.

And Duncan hopes that the event is a huge success.

"The Toomey Trophy is a big thing for us at Southend," he said.

"It is something that I want to establish, not just for now and next year, but for years to come. I want Arsenal, Everton and Fulham to go away with a good feeling about how the tournament was run and that the games were good.

"Hopefully, the fans that come and watch it will realise that it is a good standard and we can run it every year.

"We have a couple of Dutch teams who want to be involved in the tournament and are starting to try and compete for next year already, which is fantastic. "We go abroad quite a bit and have established ourselves in Denmark and Holland and because of that they came on our website and heard about the Toomey Trophy.

"I have always wanted to establish some kind of tournament here in England. We go abroad and see a lot of tournaments and one of the things Luke Hobbs and I spoke about was trying to do something here.

"This is a start and if this goes well, which hopefully it does, and we get the fans to come down for both days, then we can build on it and turn it into a competition that a lot of clubs will want to take part in."

Tickets for the Toomey Trophy are now on sale from the Blues Box Office. Both one day and two day passes are available priced at £10 and £15 respectively for adults, £5 and £8 for concessions and £1 per day for children. All of the proceeds raised from the Toomey Trophy will help to fund the development of Southend United Youth Department.

The draw for the first days matches on Saturday, July 25 has taken place and Fulham will face Everton (11.30am) whilst Southend United will take on Arsenal (3pm).

Meet the Blues Day is also be incorporated into the Toomey Trophy finals day on Sunday, July 26.

Orenuga is a good prospect right? Didn't Ray Hall say he was the fastest player he's ever seen?

EDIT: Found the quote

Femi joined us from Southend in March and bedded in quite well. He’s probably one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen. No one catches him, so we’ve got to work on what happens after that!

Source: OS - http://www.evertonfc.com/news/next-up...-southend.html

Edited by Grarghsies