IGNORED

Talking To The Enemy

jamiemaher85

Here is the latest installment of Talking To The Enemy, brought to you by the good people at www.littlewigan.com (Nurse Sprout) and www.yeoldetreeandcrown.co.uk (BarStaff & Vat69)

1) Wigan have been a very strong force this season, but after the likes of Spurs and Villa have poached some of your players you have struggled slightly. Do you think you can keep competing at the top of the table or do you think that "bigger" teams will just keep poaching your best players?

Nurse Sprout: I think we are under no illusions as Latics supporters that bigger wages and more fashionable clubs will entice our players away. I think what is important to note is that this does not always mean first team football or better prospects for them. I would hope that we'll stay in the top half of the table this season as long as our strike force actually get their finger out!

BarStaff: Steve Bruce has replaced the “big two” who left, Heskey hasn’t set Villa Park alight but Wilson seems to be settling nicely at the Lane.

We can certainly keep in the top half of the table with the present squad, pushing on “to the next level” will need some serious money or being first in for new talent, usually from South America.

Cash is king in the Premier League & we will no doubt lose our star players as obscene pay demands are met by “the top4”

Vat69: It's disappointing that so-called 'bigger clubs' keep coming and taking our best players, but unfortunately, that's the reality at Wigan Athletic. We are still a small club, compared to many in the Premiership, and it is a fact of life that many players see their time at Wigan as a stepping stone to bigger things. It's hard work for a club like Wigan, especially being surrounded by so many 'bigger' clubs, of which Everton are one, of course.

I think that with shrewd dealings and clever management, we can certainly maintain a top ten place, but it will be a big achievement to actually qualify for Europe, and possibly this will take us onto the next level, as far as attracting players, and taking us onto the next level.

2) Steve Bruce is a dab hand at unearthing some unkown gems. Who do you feel is his best signing to date?

Nurse Sprout: Bruce has done well with a couple of players most notably Wilson Palacios (thank you for the cash Spuds), Zaki for the goals. He has done well in resurrecting careers too - its easy to mock Mr Bramble but having seen him every match the boy has done well.

BarStaff: Probably Wilson Palacios with Lee Cattermole a very close second, however watch out for Hugo Rodgella in the near future

Vat69: Wilson Palacios was an absolute steal, at around one million, considering we sold him for 14. He's a class player, full of energy, and never stops working. He ran rings round both Scholes and Carrick, and looked on a par with Zidane that day. (Honestly) His weakness was his shooting. But we made a great return on him, when we sold him. Lee Cattermole is another great signing, and another steal at around one million. He's a young lad, a great battler, and on his day he looks like another Gazza. His problem is his discipline, and he will miss the match at Goodison, as he is serving a suspension for a straight red card, V West Ham, picked up for an awful challenge on Scot Parker. (Though Parker made a real meal of it)

3)Amir Zaki had a strong start to the season but has been quiet in recent weeks. Is he the real deal and do you hope to sign him on a permenant contract in the summer?

Nurse Sprout: Zaki has been carrying injuries so although he has played he has struggled. Rumours are that he can't handle the cold as his form dipped at the same time as the cold spell we've had but the jury is out on the lad re a contract. He still needs to prove himself. In his prime you wouldn't want him charging you down to get the ball thats for sure! He's a big brute of a lad!

BarStaff: Zaki is adored at the JJB/DW for his work ethic, early goals helped him but we don’t seem to play to his strengths, would love him to stay but I feel he might just be a half-season wonder.

His transfer value has plummeted, mainly due to the lack of goals and remember four of his strikes this term have been penalties!

Vat69: Zaki started off like the proverbial 'house on fire'. He looked classy, and was compare to Shearer, which seemed fair enough, especially after his two goals at that place across the park from Goodison. But soon after, all the talk started about Real Madrid, etc wanting him, and his form badly dipped. And it has never returned. He's had one or two niggles, too, but he's looked a shadow of the player he did. In fact, I think most Wigan fans have changed their opinion of him now, and probably think he's not that good. I certainly don't. His fault is, he goes down as soon as anyone breaths on him. And he usually does several roll-overs as well. It's frustrating. You have to wonder what has been whispered into his ear....the talk of Madrid? Etc. Whatever, since all those stories, he's been well off the boil. He's not guaranteed a start now, and in fact, I have just heard he is going to miss the game at Goodison, as he has been injured playing for Egypt. For me, at least, they can terminate his loan, now. May as well. I stated a while ago, that I can see him at some German club, or something. And whilst the talk was once of Madrid, it has now faded and been replaced by talk of French club, RC Lens. Read into that what you will......

4) Do you think you can make the Europa League this year and do you have enough strength in depth to compete in the tournament?

Nurse Sprout: I think we'll miss out this year but only just - I think we need more strength and depth. If we get a couple of injuries then we are snookered and this would not bode well for Europe.

BarStaff: Because other clubs keep slipping up and the majority of our remaining fixtures are against clubs in the bottom half we might just, but only just secure 7th spot & a place on Easyjet looms large. The squad has been barely big enough for two cup competitions and the league, so a journey into the unknown of European football will no doubt see us struggle when/if suspensions/injuries kick in.

Vat69: I think we can make the Europa League, as long as we don't seriously falter in the run-in. But if we do, we will need some serious strengthening for next season, as our squad is already very small, especially in the forwards department.

5) Who has been your best and worst performers this year?

Nurse Sprout: Best performer - difficult but its between Titus Bramble and Lee Cattermole and Luis Antonio Valencia. The worst is probably Oliver Krapo (sorry Kapo).

BarStaff: Close call for the best performers, folk will laugh long & hard but Titus Bramblebauer has been immense along with his co defender the attack minded Maynor Fiueroa. However the vast majority of the team has played well from Kirkland to Valencia.

Worst performer is simple, Kapo.

Vat69: The best? Possibly Titus Bramble, a rejuvinated character, under Bruce. He's been an absolute rock, this season, much in the same way as Jagielka as at Everton. Valencia, when he has played, has been 'on fire' at times. He's off to Old Trafford in the summer. The worst? Olivier Kapo has been shocking, when he's played. He wants away, apparently. He can go. Jason Koumas, has also been a big disappointment, both this season, and last. A waste of 5 million.

6) What do you think of Everton's season this year?

Nurse Sprout: Moyes has done a brilliant job for you again on a limited budget and I think for next year you need that little bit more cash for that extra push to make it into the top four

BarStaff: A lot more balanced now Leighton Baines is in the team!

Like Villa are finding it is hard to break the monopoly of the “top4” but in saying that I do wonder if its just a mental thing more than the skill factor? Your away record is impressive, especially as for the majority of the season true forwards have been absent, plus your board has stuck with David Moyes and slowly but surely you are reaping the benefits.

Vat69:Everton had a bad start, and it looked worrying for you that you were struggling in the strikers department, with injuries, etc. However, pushing Cahill up-front was a masterstroke, and David Moyes did the basic thing and has played to your strengths. Always the right thing to do. This has reaped rewards, and I hope you'll take this the right way, but I think you have over-achieved. This is a point that my mate, a staunch Evertonian, agrees with. The fact that Moyes has had to work with no money, and has yet got his team to sixth in the league, is fantastic management. The loan signing of Jo has already proven a good one, and with the emergance of youngsters like Gosling and Rodwell breaking through, it has certainly helped, with the financial situation. Add to that, the fact that people such as Baines and Jagielka, have put in solid, good performances, it has all made for a good season. The bad points have been Arteta's injury, and Cahill being injured. Both are like 'talismen' to Everton. Though as a Wigan fan, I do hope he misses the match at Goodison!

7) Predictions for the game?

Nurse Sprout: I'm going for a 1-1 draw. Scharner to score

BarStaff: No doubt “The Toffees” will be after avenge after the 1-0 defeat back in November when Henri Camara scored, a healthy 5148 away fans watched from the North Stand. My heart says an entertaining 2-2 draw, with us giving as good as we get BUT my head tells me a boring 0-0 with us surviving for a point…..just.

Vat69: 1-1, with Wigan scoring first, and Everton getting an equalizer. I'd take the point, being honest. However a win would be better for us than you, in my opinion, as I think you won't catch Arsenal, whilst we are being chased by the likes of Fulham and West Ham. As for Europe, I hope we can both be in it, and the fact that the FA Cup will be won by a team who has already qualified, whilst there is a good chance that the Champions League will be won by am English team, is getting Wigan fans hopes up. Though we really need to finish 7th, to be sure.

Here's to a good game, at a PROPER old ground, with a proper atmosphere, and some good pubs near it.

Edited by jamiemaher85