IGNORED

Why You Don't Want To Risk Being Relegated, Boro & Toon Fans

I love me some good stats, and this one's pretty good. This covers the 30 relegations from the Premier League between 1998 and 2007 (making '07 the cutoff so that everyone's had at least one shot at promotion).

10 of the 30 came back to the Premiership within two years of relegation (6 came back at the first opportunity, 4 at the second opportunity).

4 of the 30 eventually made it back after an intermediate amount of time, from 3 years (Bolton) up to as many as six years (Watford, Palace).

The remaining 16 of the 30 (over half!) are STILL in the lower divisions to this day.

This shows a pretty clear trend - teams that go down either bounce back quickly or they don't bounce back at all. There's very little middle ground. Which makes sense because the financial gulf between levels has gotten so huge, but it also means these Boro fans I'm hearing who think their team can go down for a year, shed some payroll, and come back "leaner and meaner" could be in for a rude shock if the "for a year" part doesn't work out. If you want your team leaner and meaner, it's a hell of a risky way to do it. Just ask Leeds, Leicester City, Southampton, and Charlton.

Edited by JD in DC

Guest efctaxi

The championship is a tough league , especially for teams who lose all their star players after being relegated .

Southamptons position looks pretty dire .

I think the toon have enough money to bounce back , and West Brom seem to be too good for the championship , but not enough funding for the prem . I have to admire them the most out of the bottom teams .