IGNORED

New Zealand Beat Serbia

New Zealand coach Ricki Herbert has hailed his side’s victory over Serbia as the greatest in their history.

The ‘All Whites’ beat Serbia 1-0 on Saturday after taking the lead in the first-half with a goal from Shane Smeltz. The Serbs had constant possession in the second half, but failed to find an equaliser.

Ricki Herbert was delighted with the result: “It was without doubt the greatest footballing victory in our history.

“But I was even more satisfied with our performance. This match boosts the confidence of everybody.”

The shock result prompted angry scenes from the Serbian supporters, who threw missiles on to the pitch in frustration. One fan even invaded the pitch, which prompted Serbian defender Namanja Vidic to grab a microphone and appeal for calm from the crowd.

Despite the victory, Herbert is under no allusions regarding the difficulty of his team’s task in South Africa: “We are still outsiders.

“My country lost all its matches at the 1982 World Cup finals and we want to change that record.”

Herbert appeared twice in the 1982 World Cup as New Zealand lost all three of their games. This will be their first appearance in a World Cup since that tournament and New Zealand will compete in Group F against Italy, Paraguay and Slovakia.

World Cup football blog

Maybe Tim Cahill's Australia can sneak through their group after all?! I tipped Serbia to be this year's dark horses!