IGNORED

Youth Football

Was speaking to a friend of mine's Dad the other day. We got to talking about his son who is a goalkeeper at Bury, and how he was getting on. To my shock he told me that every game he plays for Bury is a "Friendly" game, no cups no league's nothing huh.png ... so i asked him if it was like this anywhere else and he said that it's like that in every age group for every team whether it be Man utd or accrington stanley and that youth football only becomes competitive at the U18's age group.

I just found it ridiculous that youth football in england at U16 level is not competitive, i mean if you want to develop players then surely the best way to do that is in a competitive setup? okay U9's 10's 11's i can understand football not being competitive but, when you get to the age of 14-15-16 surely it must become a little more competitive, maybe even a little league for clubs within a 10-20 mile radius? i dont know, but this really shocked me and i think introducing a competitive setup when players reach mid teens can only help their development.... Thoughts?

Edited by GoodisonRoad

He's wrong.

I played for Everton when I was 14 and we was in an official 'Academy League' which had teams such as Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal as well as some surprise teams such as Nottingham Forest and Leeds United.

I'm pretty sure that to go along with this there is a Youth Cup for each age group and the only friendlies that take place are pre-season. He might think that because Bury are not in this league that it is the same for every team but I can tell you he's totally wrong and I can tell you this because I have done it myself.