IGNORED

Zeebrugge Tragedy 25 Years On

Dalziel Kane

It's a bit late in the day for it but today was the 25th anniversary of the Zeebrugge disaster near Belgium where the ship capsized about half a mile from port with the loss of some 193 persons in total

I remember the day in question clearly, it actually seems longer than 25 years have passed since the event

Some fucking Idiot left the bow doors open as it left the harbor, and it wasn't even the first time that happened, subsequently water came on board and flooded the compartments causing the boat to keel over in shallow waters and in the end I don't think anyone was properly prosecuted for it of all things

Just wanted to give a mention to all those that lost their lives on this day in 1987 and the families affected on an incident that could so easily have been prevented dry.png

RIP the 193

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17268468

• 4 weeks later...
Some fucking Idiot left the bow doors open as it left the harbor, and it wasn't even the first time that happened, subsequently water came on board and flooded the compartments causing the boat to keel over in shallow waters and in the end I don't think anyone was properly prosecuted for it of all things

RIP the 193

I'm sure I can remember seeing something in the days that followed that said it was common practice for ferrys to leave with the doors still open or only part closed.

But this doesn't in any way lessen the horrors of this tragic event.

Bit late after the event now, but all said, it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Townsend Thoresen had I believe, already undertaken sailings across the channel in such a manner but passed without incident. Not just this but the ship on the day in question was travelling at a higher rate of speed than necessary and in shallower water than usual which all told contributed greatly to the eventual accident. Add to this the person responsible for actually closing the bow doors had neglected his duties and was asleep at the time it left harbor and by the time anyone was aware what was wrong, it was too late to avert a disaster.

It all still seems like yesterday sometimes.