IGNORED

What would it take for you to walk away from football?

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

With the deaths of workers in Brazil (slavery which will only get worse in Russia and Qatar if it goes ahead) I have been questioning things. As I have grown up and become more politically aware (so since approx 2005) I've realised just how nauseatingly capitalist and exploitative football and especially UEFA And FIFA are. At its roots I still love the game - what happens on the park, the excitement, singing at games, tactical debate. However, the business side of the game and the financial raping of the common man is repulsive to see.

Many say that if football fans were to take a united stand and boycott stadia for one week, this would frighten chairmen, presidents and businessmen to a large degree - possibly large enough to look into reform in football. However, this is clearly not feasible as getting through to such a huge number of fans is practically impossible. People would have to stop subscribing to Sky, BT Sports etc, which is another huge ask.

There are many things which could alter football's landscape, but they're probably not enforceable by EU law e.g. a salary cap - and even if this was able to be implemented, it would have to be on a global rather than pan-European basis, which is nigh-on impossible. The merits of the Bosman ruling and 'Financial Fair Play' are also up for debate. The former is pretty murky water, whereas the latter can be argued to be a device which simply aims to retain the status quo; to create an impenetrable cartel of super clubs consisting of the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, Man City, PSG, Chelsea, Man United, Juventus etc. This would probably eventually lead to a European Super League, which would not be good for the tradition or the grass roots of the game.

Then there is the hooliganism aspect of football - something which is especially rife in Eastern Europe, for example. This is a major problem also. For my last essay on my final university course, I devoted 750 words or so to football hooliganism (as my outside of course material). I have an interest in this and the sociological and economic factors which drive it. It was interesting to read that there's a sense of order within the disorder - as examples, firms are very organised and Polish ultras mainly live by a code whereby they refuse to use weapons in fights. However, hooliganism remains a big football problem in many parts of the world.

On a personal level, now that I'm getting older I just don't feel that (misplaced) affinity with players that I did when I was a youngster (the nostalgia factor). The majority of active players are younger than I am, and now that I'm a grown man, they aren't my idols - rather I see most of them for the spoilt, pampered prima donnas that they are.

On another personal note (and as I have mentioned before), I don't really involve myself in the tribal aspect of football as my club has its issues with sectarianism and its ultra right-wing stance and pro-monarchy sentiment are also in direct opposition to my political views (much like the game itself, which is now capitalist).

For all of the above reasons, I have been considering abandoning football after the World Cup. I feel I could live without it - I'd miss the excitement of big games but I could spend more time learning, reading comics, watching TV, exercising, gaming etc. I'd have more time to devote to my (currently) secondary interests.

I guess I am just musing about what a life without football would be like. I'd still play of course, but I'd miss the genius moments of skill we see on the park.

Edited by Nikica