IGNORED

Commemorative Kit

Louis

I know this is an old subject but I would like to dig it up again.. as we now know Nike successfully bought out Umbro. I was reading an article about how Nike's head kit designer contacts club supporter groups and asks them what they would like to see in the kit. The main examples given were the Aston Villa and the Celtic kit. Taking that into account Umbro may start to look at what fans want instead of having a standard design but changing the three colours around.

celtichss0708.jpg

They gave fans the chance to say what they would like on kit - "For it's a grand old team play for" is written on the bottom left of the shirt, they requested the gold star for the 1967 European Cup win, as it is the 40th anniversary of the win they have written 25 MAIO 1967 – LEÕES DE LISBOA – 40° ANIVERSARIO (25th May 1967, Lisbon Lions, 40th Anniversary) on the shirt...

It's becoming a common theme now but if Everton are the people's club why not give the supporter groups the opportunity to have something unique on the kit.

I think I'd like a few "Everton firsts" around the neckline - Founder members of the Football League in 1888, Founder members of the FA Premier League in 1992, First club to construct a purpose-built football stadium, First club to issue a regular match programme for home fixtures, First club to wear numbered shirts from 1-11 - 1933 FA Cup final, First club to play 4000 top-flight games, First club to amass 5000 League points, First club to play 100 seasons in the top-fight

This is not dissimilar to Arsenal's current away kit which has a list of Herbert Chapman's input to the game on the shirt.

Maybe we could have a "If you know your history" on the bottom left of the shirt

Next season is the 130th in the clubs history... maybe they will have a special commemorative shirt for that (probably will if Wyness sees the opportunity!).

Incidentally in two years time I'd like to see a commemorative shirt based on the 1969/1970 kit... the one that the likes of Gordon West (goalkeeper equivalent anyway), Alan Whittle, Ray Wilson, Tommy Wright, Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Roger Kenyon, Brian Labone, Morrissey, Joe Royle, Alan Ball, Sandy Brown, Colin Harvey, John Hurst, Jim Husband all played in.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what they'd like to see in a shirt?