IGNORED

Lord Grantchester On Liverpool 08

Louis

I add my congratulations to my noble friend Lord Harrison on securing this debate, as next month Liverpool approaches the opening of a year's activities and initiatives celebrating European Capital of Culture. I declare an interest in that my mother's family is the Moores family; I refer especially to my late grandfather, Sir John Moores, who was instrumental in developing cultural life on Merseyside over many years. He initiated the John Moores exhibition to encourage young artists and to promote art outside London. That exhibition alternated each year with the Peter Moores exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery; remarkably, 2008 is the 25th John Moores exhibition, celebrating 50 years of encouragement to aspiring artists. The Moores family were also instrumental in bringing the Tate to Liverpool and in helping the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Today, James Moores and his sister Portia have raised the bar in artistic activities on Merseyside, reinvigorating the John Moores exhibition and initiating the biennial.

I also pay tribute to other leaders who have tirelessly promoted Liverpool: Loyd Grossman, chairman of Culture Northwest and of National Museums Liverpool, who spearheaded, with Dr David Fleming, a £68 million development programme for the museum; Bryan Gray, chairman of the Northwest Regional Development Agency; Warren Bradley, leader of the council; Phil Redmond, the entrepreneur; and many others.

Liverpool 08 will use culture to transform national and international perceptions of Merseyside. It is the first opportunity since 1990 for a British city to host the European Capital of Culture. It will happen; it will be fantastic; it will be delivered on time and on budget. Liverpool will be a credit to the nation and to Europe and Liverpool 08 will be a catalyst for the city's regeneration, both in buildings and in institutions. National Museums Liverpool, which includes the Walker Art Gallery, the Merseyside Maritime Museum, the Lady Lever Art Gallery, the National Conservation Centre, the new International Slavery Museum, among others, and the Liverpool and Merseyside record offices and St George's Hall have all benefited from over £100 million of spending. Liverpool's tourism infrastructure will also be enhanced with developments such as the Liverpool One shopping centre. Liverpool has already gone from being 16th to the fifth most visited city since winning the bid. Visitor numbers at the National Museums have already risen from 700,000 in 2001 to almost 1.7 million this year.

Liverpool 08 is not just about buildings; it is also about rebuilding communities. At the heart of Liverpool 08's contribution to the Cultural Olympiad will be the flagship Portrait of a Nation initiative, a campaign run by the Liverpool Culture Company.

Liverpool is also the centre of the pools industry, whose influence on British culture has helped to make football our national game. Merseyside celebrates two of the greatest football clubs, Everton and Liverpool; it is regrettable that Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney, respectively from Liverpool and Everton, were missing extensively throughout England's failed campaign for Euro 2008. Nevertheless, 2008 celebrates 80 years since Everton's Dixie Dean's unsurpassed record of scoring 60 goals in a season, which will be remembered through biographical plays and events. Everton Football Club will celebrate 130 years of success and the Football League will be 120 years old.

Liverpool 08 is not just good news for the people of Merseyside; it is also good news for the north-west. Cheshire will host the Cheshire Year of Gardens 08, which has been mentioned, with a year of programmes building on the success of the Royal Horticultural Society's July event at Tatton Park and its partnership development with Ness Botanic Gardens. I am sure that the Minister will join us tonight in recognising and promoting Liverpool 08 as an event of national significance. The Government have been instrumental in funding and attracting support and will continue to work hand in hand with the Liverpool Culture Company, the council and their partners to deliver the best ever European Capital of Culture.

I congratulate the support shown by DCMS. I encourage it to see what more it could give and especially to look at ways in which to answer the council's request to capitalise £20 million of revenue funding to avoid public sector funding restrictions. DCMS must also encourage other departments to support Liverpool 08, as the programme touches on many broader themes, such as regeneration, health, education, neighbourhoods, crime, diversity and youth policy. I encourage DCMS, with the Government Office for the North West, to co-ordinate a programme of ministerial visits to Liverpool throughout the year. It will be an experience to savour.