IGNORED

Anichebe's Nigerian Ambition

Adams

Young Everton striker Victor Anichebe has revealed his international ambitions lie with Nigeria.

The 18-year-old striker was born in Nigeria before his parents moved to Liverpool when he was a baby.

A product of the Everton youth system, Anichebe has impressed in recent months, making his first senior appearance against Chelsea in the FA Cup last term before netting for the first time on the final day of the season against West Bromwich Albion.

He signed a new contract with the club at the end of last season and has impressed during pre-season, netting three times despite struggling with a niggling back injury.

He would be eligible to represent both England and Nigeria at international level but has revealed his heart lies with the country of his birth.

"I would love to represent Nigeria because that is where I'm from," he said.

"My family moved to England when I was just one year old, but I still feel Nigerian.

Anichebe nets against Bury during pre-season

"I have been a fan from childhood and follow events back home on a regular basis."

But Anichebe knows all too well that his first hurdle will be to secure a regular place in the Everton side before even contemplating international football.

"I'm looking forward to competing for a starting spot at Everton and hitting goals on a regular basis," he added.

"The main thing for me is to keep working hard as I still have a long way to get to the top.

"The fans here are awesome and the management have been supportive, which makes my job extremely easy."

Having Nigeria skipper Joseph Yobo as part of the Everton ranks is a boost for Anichebe, who admits: "It's nice to get a picture of the international camp from Joseph.

"He paints the picture of a unit who are all proud to wear the family attire and being a part of that group will be great."