IGNORED

Mutu Ordered To Pay Chelsea £13million

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premi...MHD=premiership

FIFA have ordered Adrian Mutu to pay Chelsea £13.68million in compensation after testing positive for cocaine while at Stamford Bridge.

Mutu, 29, failed a drug test in 2004 and was banned for seven months before moving to Juventus and Fiorentina after getting sacked by Chelsea.

Mutu's lawyer, Cristian Sarbu, claimed earlier in the summer that his client was told to pay £9.6million by FIFA and that the Romania striker would be contesting the ruling.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport had ordered FIFA to make a ruling and the matter went to the Dispute Resolution Chamber of the world governing body.

"The club can confirm that it has received the decision from FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) on the claim made against Adrian Mutu," read a statement from Chelsea.

"Chelsea is delighted with the DRC's decision to award the club £13.68million in compensation."

Mutu was signed in 2003 at the start of Roman Abramovich's era as owner of the club and enjoyed a promising start at Stamford Bridge before his form tailed off.

After his dismissal, Chelsea began proceedings to claim damages from the player bought from Parma.

Their statement added: "This is an important decision for football. Not only did the DRC make us a very significant monetary award, the decision also recognised the damaging effect incidents involving drugs has on football and the responsibilities we all have in this area.

"Chelsea will now be following the process laid out in the DRC's decision to claim the money from Mutu."

:blink:

Let's get our Nyarko money back :devil:

I swear, football is turning into a theater of the absurd! First we had that story about the club being forced to pay a player compensation for a career-ending injury that wasn't their fault, then there was that ridiculous move by Real Madrid trying to collect money from C. Ronaldo because he didn't sign with them, and now we have a story about a player being forced to pay the club compensation for failing a drug test that apparently wasn't even legal? I can't wait until some enterprising season ticket holder for a relegated club decides to sue for a refund on his tickets on the grounds of emotional distress caused by a defective on-field product. The way things seem to be going these days, he'd probably win.

i actually agree with this. chelsea paid a lot of money for him and he let them down, but he let them down by using illegal drugs, i think this is spot on.

Yes they did, but it was their choice to sack him. They could have put him into counselling or rehab, not sure on this as it's going to open the flood gates in claims. Everyone is entiltled to opinions though before i get my head torn off

Yes they did, but it was their choice to sack him. They could have put him into counselling or rehab, not sure on this as it's going to open the flood gates in claims. Everyone is entiltled to opinions though before i get my head torn off

i see what your saying, but who else could come in with a claim? how many players have been sacked? they couldnt have been seen publicly to back a drug abuser

i see what your saying, but who else could come in with a claim? how many players have been sacked? they couldnt have been seen publicly to back a drug abuser

[/quote

No they can't been seen doing that, but i think it would have been better if they were seen publicly helping a drug user. If Chelsea had gone down this road and it'd worked they would have been praised the world over