IGNORED

Uefa Cup: Standard Liège

Well, there's the 2nd leg this week, I don't count them completely out, but it's gonna be though.

It was really though luck, since Everton deserved to be in the groups stage (certainly more than the pompeys) and wasn't, and now, looks like standard won't be in the last 16, and they deserved that too. Braga lost 4 points in the last few minutes of 2 games, 1 point away at milan, with a late goal from Ronaldinho to give them the win, and 3 points against Wolfsburg, when they were 2-0 up with about 10 minutes to go, they managed to loose 3-2. 4 more points meant a 1st or 2nd place, therefore they wouldn't play against another 1st place team, like Standard.

Well, 2nd leg over, fair play to Standard, but Braga we're better. I've been saying for some time now, that there's a lot of quality there...

Standard was a lot better the second tier.. if only Mbokani finished2 more of his dozen chances

Very sad, but one bad game this season was one to many.

You have a point about brag's 3th place in the group stage, I think (as odd as it may seem) it might of been easier to go trough against ac milan

Your also right about Braga, there a quality team, could go on few rounds in Europe I think

Standard was a lot better the second tier.. if only Mbokani finished2 more of his dozen chances

Very sad, but one bad game this season was one to many.

You have a point about brag's 3th place in the group stage, I think (as odd as it may seem) it might of been easier to go trough against ac milan

Your also right about Braga, there a quality team, could go on few rounds in Europe I think

Luck does play a part in this, and the way braga lost those points, well, it's just though luck that Liege had the short end of the stick this time.

The next round against PSG is gonna be interesting, I think Braga can go through. After that, depends on what they get, really...

• 2 months later...
Guest efctaxi
well today standard became champions again in belgian league this year.

means a direct qualification for CL .. hope they can compete in europe same way they did this year.

We'll probably end up playing them again if they can't .

well today standard became champions again in belgian league this year.

means a direct qualification for CL .. hope they can compete in europe same way they did this year.

Actually, the champions from Belgium, Greece and the Czech Republic need to play on two qualifying rounds before getting on the groups stage.

Actually, the champions from Belgium, Greece and the Czech Republic need to play on two qualifying rounds before getting on the groups stage.

i thought so too .. but the rules have changed and this year, the belgian champion gets direct qualification, and the second in the league has to play two qualifying rounds.

i thought so too .. but the rules have changed and this year, the belgian champion gets direct qualification, and the second in the league has to play two qualifying rounds.

normally the first 12 contries on the uefa ranking get to send at least one team to the cl direclty, but for next year the 13th country get to send one to, and thats belgium.

And thank god for that!

actually apart from the money i think it's not that good ... in the Europa League you meet teams like Everton which on a good day Standard can beat and those are great great games ... but in the CL, all you can do is hope you don't get slaughtered by Barcelona etc. and play for the 0-0.

if now their best players leave it's gonna be embarassing.. but i won't care if Defour comes to Everton :) .. that would make 2009 the best year of the millenium .; one of my favorite players on my favorite team.