IGNORED

Long term planning

Finn balor

Its obvious our manager has everything sorted from top to bottom. In January he will have his targets but in the summer who and what should we be looking to buy and improve the squad?

I think we should look at who won't be here next season first. I can see heitenga,Jelavic, baines, Naismith who are first teamers/ squad players not being here next season. Aswell in all probability lukaku. Obvious players ready to step up hopefully are lundstram, garbutt and the likes of long,green,hope,browning etc not far away. That leaves us with a lot to do. Hopefully top four will help aswell as the increase in sky money and the sales of felli,vic and maybe baines will give us a good war chest.

Think we need a centre half,left back, two or three midfielders and two strikers. Which is a lot in one swoop. I think we should be looking at young hungry players with maybe one big signing. I don't watch enough of foreign football but the players I really rate and can see at our club would be:

Bruno indi- centre back

Cresswell - left back (Ipswich)

Gauld - baby messi (Dundee utd)

Hughes - midfield (derby)

Ince - winger

Strikers I don't know. Its obvious the football Roberto plays needs a striker that can turn and run the channels but can hold the ball up and bring others into the game when it's played into feet. For me that would discount the Rhodes,Hernandez, longs of this world who aren't good enough in my opinion anyway. Whether that's ultimately a ploy to play a "false" number nine and have everybody changing position and have a mirallas or someone like that as the front man. What's your thoughts?

Its obvious our manager has everything sorted from top to bottom. In January he will have his targets but in the summer who and what should we be looking to buy and improve the squad?

I think we should look at who won't be here next season first. I can see heitenga,Jelavic, baines, Naismith who are first teamers/ squad players not being here next season. Aswell in all probability lukaku. Obvious players ready to step up hopefully are lundstram, garbutt and the likes of long,green,hope,browning etc not far away. That leaves us with a lot to do. Hopefully top four will help aswell as the increase in sky money and the sales of felli,vic and maybe baines will give us a good war chest.

Think we need a centre half,left back, two or three midfielders and two strikers. Which is a lot in one swoop. I think we should be looking at young hungry players with maybe one big signing. I don't watch enough of foreign football but the players I really rate and can see at our club would be:

Bruno indi- centre back

Cresswell - left back (Ipswich)

Gauld - baby messi (Dundee utd)

Hughes - midfield (derby)

Ince - winger

Strikers I don't know. Its obvious the football Roberto plays needs a striker that can turn and run the channels but can hold the ball up and bring others into the game when it's played into feet. For me that would discount the Rhodes,Hernandez, longs of this world who aren't good enough in my opinion anyway. Whether that's ultimately a ploy to play a "false" number nine and have everybody changing position and have a mirallas or someone like that as the front man. What's your thoughts?

Bear in mind that Martinez has major connections to Spain and other Latin nations, which is an advantage. This thread is a bit Football Manager really, but I will offer examples of guys who I think would be good in your system in the positions you cite as requiring attention. If you get CL some of these might be feasible:

CB - Inigo Martinez, Real Sociedad. Very good young defender with good skills on the ball.

LB - Ben Davies, Swansea. Very impressive young player who seems pretty good going forward and in defence, from what I have seen. Would potentially be an excellent signing. Could do with his mate Michu as an attacking midfielder as well.

Striker - Paco Alcacer, Valencia (he is 20). Hasn't really made the breakthrough yet, but he's a pacy, gifted young striker who is mobile and can certainly run the channels. Hold up play is more doubtful as he's chalk and cheese with Lukaku - in Martinez's style I don't think it's necessary anyway; beneficial but not essential. I think Valencia would be receptive to loaning him out again next season.

DM - Ander Iturraspe, Athletic Bilbao. Quality defensive midfielder who seems to fly under the radar somewhat due to Athletic's other young talents e.g. Herrera and Muniain. He might be attainable as he doesn't seem to be that coveted by the heavyweights. Issue is that Athletic hate selling their players due to their Basque only policy, so he may not come cheap. Again, he's a very defensively sound DM who's good on the ball and would be great alongside McCarthy and to replace Barry if he doesn't sign full-time.

Winger/wide attacker - Juan Cuadrado, Fiorentina. Very good young player, pacy, tricky etc. Would you be able to afford him? Who knows. If he has a good World Cup his value will increase and interest from the 'top clubs' will skyrocket that would be a problem. Fiorentina are also gunning for a CL place themselves. He'd fit you and Martinez like a glove. Alternatives might be the likes of Piatti or Canales at the aforementioned Valencia.

Again, bear in mind that this is all a bit 'Football Manager'. In practice it takes more than just fancying a player, and these guys would take time to gel (see Spurs). Also, some of these guys are more realistic than others. However, I've tried to point you in the direction of the sort of players I think would suit your team and Martinez's philosophy. There will be other alternatives.

Edited by Nikica