IGNORED

Coleman: Everton Atmosphere Is Unbelievable

Louis

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1250/

Former Sligo Rovers defender Seamus Coleman is hoping that hard work will pay off and lead to a first-team opportunity at his new club, English Premiership outfit Everton, after completing his switch to the Merseysiders last weekend.

"If I work hard over the next few years, hopefully I can make the breakthrough," the 20-year-old told sligorovers.com, after watching Everton defeat fierce rivals Liverpool in the FA Cup last Wednesday. "The atmosphere was electric. I walked in and it really was unbelievable."

Coleman was the subject of interest from a number of clubs, including Glasgow Celtic, in the close season, after impressing hugely in his time at Sligo. The youngster, from Killybegs in Donegal, broke into Rovers' senior side during the 2006 season and made the right-back position his own with some dazzling performances.

A move to England was always a certainty given his talent. However, Seamus admits that it was still hard to take it all in when the transfer was finally completed. "It is Premier League football. It was kind of hard to believe at first, to be honest," he said. "The transfer took a lot of time and I was hearing a lot of things before pre-season and when we started back. If the move had not worked out, I was still looking forward to playing with Sligo because there were a lot of things to play for this year.

"I loved my time at Sligo. It started properly for me when Leo Tierney and Dessie Cawley were in charge and they put me in the team and then Paul Cook afterwards. I really enjoyed myself. The deal was great for the club and great for me. I'd like to thank all the fans and hopefully I'll be over in the summer in The Showgrounds again."