IGNORED

Best And Worst Buys Of The Epl Season

...as rated by one particular columnist.

I couldn't help noticing that three or four of the "worst buys" are players who were constantly popping up in our Rumourama section last offseason, and in some cases being touted as "must gets" by the fans here. Lucky for us that Moyes doesn't rely on the fans to evaluate talent, I suppose. :D Jags gets a mention on the "best buys" list.

Best: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...and&cc=5901

Worst: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...and&cc=5901

I couldn't help noticing that three or four of the "worst buys" are players who were constantly popping up in our Rumourama section last offseason, and in some cases being touted as "must gets" by the fans here. Lucky for us that Moyes doesn't rely on the fans to evaluate talent, I suppose.

Very good point JD....lovely assassination of Smith in particular...

1. Alan Smith (Newcastle, £6 million)

Alan Smith has the remarkable distinction of failing to score a goal all season while, for much of the campaign, being the man who had committed most fouls in the Premier League. Among many possible nadirs, the most recent came against Chelsea when Smith came on, proved unable to hold the ball up and duly lost Michael Ballack for the first goal. Despite his continued inability to trouble opponents - apart from upending them - it was remarkable that Sam Allardyce, in perhaps his worst decision, made him captain while Steve McClaren continued to include him in England squads. Newcastle owner Mike Ashley started the season in a Smith replica shirt. Now the XXXXL garment is presumably to be found in a bargain bin in one of his sports stores.

And Nugent was top of a lot of people's lists, fortunately not Davey's...

10. David Nugent (Portsmouth, £6 million)

It seems a long time ago that the scramble for Nugent's services appeared to involve many of the Premier League managers. Rewind a couple of months and he was in demand in another division, with several Championship clubs eager to take him on loan. It was a sign of how far his star has fallen; his goal-a-game record for England appears likely to remain intact, because his form dictates another cap is unlikely. Nugent has the same number of Premier League goals as Alan Smith, though he did at least find the target in cup competitions.

Repeat after me...In Moyes we trust....Amen.