IGNORED

Hurricane Gustav

Jimmy the blue

Has any one ever experienced a hurricane. This one has just past over Cuba where a good mate mine and life long Blue has been working, he's a holiday rep manager (piss artist in other words) and despite trying to contact him for the last four days no response has yet to be received suggesting lines down etc. I honestly think that I'd like to experience a storm like this but I'm not that sure :lol:

I feel very sorry for all those poor folk trying to scramble their way out of New Orleans leaving all possessions behind without knowing what will be there when they eventually return. I think every Republican supporter hopes that the levies hold otherwise Bush will be battered as they apparently penny pinched on the rebuild from Katrina

It must be horrible having a hurricane hit you like that. Can't imagine beign one of the Katrina victims, like you said leaving all your possessions and never knowing when you will come back.

We had a hurricane a few years back, it wasn't a big one but it would have done a little bit of damage it didn't touchdown but we were kept inside school for an extra half an hour. The slates on the roof were flying off onto the pavement making it un-safe to walk under and they were especially concerned about pupils in the 'Teague' building (where I was) because outside there was this massive tree that could easily crush the building and it was leaning violently to one side looking like it was going to fall on the building.

In the end they moved on half of the building to the other just in case the tree hit and after a while the slates stopped dropping (because there were none left :P) and we were aloud to walk home but we had to walk down the field, where we normally walked down the pavement was too risky with it being decorared with large trees so in the end they said we would have to walk down the field and climb over the fence.

i have experianced one, not very nice to be in as you would expect. Also this summer whilst in faliraki, there was a full raging forest fire about 10 mins away from my hotel. Not too good is it lol.

Speaking of this hurricain business the one in america atm, which has caused New Orleans to evacuate, is where my nan and auntie are going on saturday. If cancelled they will not recieve any money in return as it is counted as an act of god.

• 2 weeks later...

its a bit late but i might as well contribute. i was in Florida 2 weeks ago and the worst of Gustav missed us (the worst we got were lots of thunderstorms. we actually drove down to Tampa bay on the day Gustav came past and we could see the hurricane as we looked out to sea. thats the closest ive ever been to a hurricaine.

Hanna passed through here on its way up north last weekend, but it was pretty weak by then, so we didn't really sustain any damage, just got a little wind and a whole lot of rain. Closest thing to a hurricane that I've ever experienced, though, since we don't get them out on the west coast where I used to live, and the last one that came through this area was Isabel five years ago, before I moved in. You couldn't pay me enough money to live in Florida or on the Gulf Coast - they get slammed almost every year it seems like.

Mentioned it on here before but I was in the 1987 "hurricane" over the south east (LINK), although I slept through it (I was fairly heavily anaesthatised for most of that decade :D ). Remember the wind being very noisy before I went to bed but only knew something was up in the morning when I went into the toilet and found that the ceiling had completely fallen in, wind must have got in the attic somehow.

Real devastation when I looked out of the window....walls and trees down everywhere....but even though it was the biggest storm in the UK for 300 years in global terms it was a tiddler.

Mentioned it on here before but I was in the 1987 "hurricane" over the south east (LINK), although I slept through it (I was fairly heavily anaesthatised for most of that decade :D ). Remember the wind being very noisy before I went to bed but only knew something was up in the morning when I went into the toilet and found that the ceiling had completely fallen in, wind must have got in the attic somehow.

Real devastation when I looked out of the window....walls and trees down everywhere....but even though it was the biggest storm in the UK for 300 years in global terms it was a tiddler.

Do you remember the big storm over Merseyside in the 60's when two huge thunderstorms collided and bolts of lightening were firing all over the place, bloody thing rumbled on all night. You could hear the lightening fizz through the air and the rain was incredible, night turned into day