IGNORED

Scouse Dialect

Stephenson26

I have three passions in life. Me family, Football and Languages. I have taught myself Spanish (very useful here in the USA) and also some Portuguese and enjoy learning just about anything regarding other languages as well. I also love the different dialects/accents within the English language, with scouse being my favorite followed by Irish (I know a large influence in the scouse dialect) and Scottish. I will put at the bottom of this post a few links to info I found on the net about speaking with a scouse accent and also some slang words used. Me question is, are these good representations of the accent/dialect? Thanks for any feedback, always enjoying learning something new especially from people who live in the vicinity of Liverpool on a daily basis.

http://scousedictionary.blogspot.com/

As it says in the video the accent does blend a bit with minor differences. My accent is obvious but not as strong as my mate's I can not disguise where I come from, and nor do I want to.

I live outside Liverpool these days due to work but as soon as I speak, folks know where I am from. We have an identity, something many people seem to be jealous of. Hence the number of scouse 'jokes' about thieves and druggies you get to hear in parts of Britain.

I suspect that the second link is written by a Liverpool supporter due to the derogatory words to describe Everton.

If you ever learn the recipe for a good bowl of scouse by the way you should try it. Great to eat on a cold day and you need something to fill up on. (I like mine with pickled beetroot or red cabbage on it)

I suspect that the second link is written by a Liverpool supporter due to the derogatory words to describe Everton.

Ya I thought the same thing, I guess I was just curious if those phrases on the webpage are some you would hear in everyday conversation. Thanks for your response also, I agree it seems many people are "jealous" of the scouse identity.....I can tell that just from things I am reading on the internet.

If you ever learn the recipe for a good bowl of scouse by the way you should try it. Great to eat on a cold day and you need something to fill up on. (I like mine with pickled beetroot or red cabbage on it)

Thanks mate, I plan on trying it out one day.

If Stephenson26 is the typical Atlantan, I'm off to Atlanta to impress the ladies with my accent. B)

Although it's not as strong as those in the video! I wouldn't consider myself scouse or sounding scouse, but when I speak to foreign people or people not from the area I do feel like I sound more scouse than I would at home. It's strange.

It's not exactly a well received accent in other parts of the UK though, IMO. Remember when Wayne Rooney and Alan Stubbs had the police called on them for looking at houses and wearing tracksuits in London.

If Stephenson26 is the typical Atlantan, I'm off to Atlanta to impress the ladies with my accent. B)

hmmmmm, :unsure: not sure what that means.

Although it's not as strong as those in the video! I wouldn't consider myself scouse or sounding scouse, but when I speak to foreign people or people not from the area I do feel like I sound more scouse than I would at home. It's strange.

Ya I think most people feel that way. I dont like southern US accents, and here i live due to my fathers job being relocated a decade ago. If southerns went to the north their accent would be SO pronounced but down here so many people speak this horrible accent they are just used to it and its not noticed.

It's not exactly a well received accent in other parts of the UK though, IMO. Remember when Wayne Rooney and Alan Stubbs had the police called on them for looking at houses and wearing tracksuits in London.

:lol: yes i do remember that.

Skran (scran?) is slang for food.

Jude (or Judy) is old time slang for a woman. (Apparently it comes from Punch and Judy) Hence Beatles song Hey Jude. Dunno if it is still used much though.

Da = Dad

Ma = Mam/mum/mother.

Arkid = Our kid = brother or male relative. Or friendly way of talking to somone you know. eg. "Who de 'eck was dat Judy yous were wit arkid?"

Not a great fan of the really thick Scouse accent. Actually, I don't like any heavily-accented dialect.

The thick, inner-city Dublin accent is the absolute pits. Dublin, and Ireland in general, is an incredible place for accents. Travel 2-3 miles in any direction and the way people speak completely changes, it's fascinating.

My own accent is very neutral. You can tell I'm Irish if you know the slang but it's difficult to place where. In fact, people have been known to get very frustrated trying to place me.

I'm lucky to have a middle-class Dublin accent that's not the horrendous southsider "Yew know, loike?", mid-Atlantic, California meets Eton, twang. Apparently English teachers across the continent consider the middle-class (usually northside) Dublin accent to be the clearest and easiest accent for foreign students to pick up.

Edited by Ian C