IGNORED

Motivation, Mistakes and Midfield

Aidan

I sit here on this lazy Sunday, sipping my coffee in my slippers, reflecting on the previous game at Villa Park yesterday. It wasn't a bad game to watch because Everton were trying to keep possession in midfield, passing it about and working the ball forward slowly. It excited me and made me enjoy watching Everton play - I haven't felt excited when watching them play in months. It has made a great difference as usually we would be trying to loft the ball forward to a lone striker and expect him to hold it up until our midfield comes into play but this just resulted in sloppy long balls up field and most of the time we would give possession away.

Introducing Donovan into the squad has made a real impact. We not seem to have a player that wants to make a difference, who's looking for that final pass, who's darting into the box trying to look for that through ball to latch onto, who's crossing the ball and not messing about, just doing what is expected of him (take note Drenthe - I'll get to you later). He really does belong in this league.

Gibson yesterday had a half decent game. We didn't expect him to do amazing, after all, his match fitness isn't great and he hasn't had a consistent run of games yet to gel into the squad. He looks to have a good pass on him and can tackle well too (I love midfield players who can throw in a good tackle here and there!). Today I read that United fans had made a Facebook page when they heard Gibbo had been linked to Everton stating that they want him to leave. No player should be treated that way by fans. Gibson should be really fired up though - he's come to Goodison with a lot of people pessimistic about the move, he will want to prove them people wrong and show us exactly what he can do. Lets just hope that he can prove us wrong.

I shall move of to Big Vic! Anichebe yesterday showed a very good finish for a striker that averages around a goal every 10 games. It was a clean, calm finish from the Nigerian. Vics now got 3 goals this season (in 6 games). I'm not getting my hopes up about it, but Moyes has always seen something in him and I hope that Vic shows us exactly what he can do. I think he would suit the sort of role Yakubu had at Everton, always in the box, waiting for the cross, getting it to his feet, turning and having a pop or even just waiting for the ball to spill and follow up. Like I said, its early days yet, but lets see what he can do this season, I'll certainly be watching him very closely.

Finally I just want to give my throughts on Drenthe. On his day he shows everyone why it's called the "beautiful game". He can be nothing short of fantastic as he is a very technically gifted player. But, that's the problem, "on his day". He's inconsistent, he dosnt seem to have an average game. Yesterday he was awful and I've seen him play crap a few times this season. For a player with such technicality he can be so sloppy and mistake prone. He's a free spirit, give him a free role on the left of right flank and let him play, but Moyes needs to keep his feet on the ground and tell him that sometimes less is more. I really hope Moyes can sign him, but be weary.